Azeri Away

Vinnyjag

He was a nice guy. An impressively strong athlete with pace. Some size of biceps unfortunately pointed out by my wife! And he tried for the club and the team you have to respect him for that. Not enough goals though. Wanted him to get better and had hope for him this season but it wasn't to be. Maybe another club will show his potential. Good luck Ade.

I'm quite surprise at the news. I thought that we would be going with Doolan, Azeez and Nisbet for this year and I did hope that Ade would come good and prove the critics wrong. I think that there is a good player in there if he finds the right club and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets double figures for Cambridge this season.

Having said that, it was clear that it wasn't working and that he had lost the good will of most fans. It was therefore right for both Ade and the club that he move on. It is also great for us as a new striker is far more exciting to talk about than a left sided defender !

would you have been happy with Azeez and Nisbet as additional strikers to Doolan - if anything happened to Dools neither has shown themselves to be prolific goal scorers

would you have been happy with Azeez and Nisbet as additional strikers to Doolan - if anything happened to Dools neither has shown themselves to be prolific goal scorers

Bit unfair on Nesbit as he hasn't really had a chance to show what he can do yet. As an aside it is tougher for youngsters to break through in our team now: the top league is always so tight is hard to risk youngsters sometimes. If we were in the (so-called) Championship some of the young players we've let go like Wilson and McDaid might still be part of our squad. Still I suppose that those who do make it now will be very good and sellable.

Great news. How we got a fee for him and how clubs were fighting for his signature we will never know. Please can we get a double figure striker in Archie

That maybe should read Mr Beattie instead of Archie. Can't deny we've just had a good season with actual turnover exceeding budgeted turnover. Top six finish that brought three good home gates plus a bit of cup money. At the same time I've seen no real evidence that we can anticipate any dramatic increase in home fan attendance, which appears to hover around 2500 or so. That's still the bread and butter figure that will most likely determine a large part of Archie's budget.

I suggest most of the "extras" we made last season plus any positive balance from transfers will be projected into future seasons. Besides I'd also suggest that the Keown deal in terms of transfer and wage will have been the Club's largest ever outlay on a player. A significant increase in ST purchases might just give Mr B/the Board the confidence to release extra dosh but otherwise we'll be budgeting once again for a bottom six finish, no cup runs and similar home gate/ST income.

All we can realistically ask of Archie/Beattie/Board is we start each season stronger than the previous season. Folk might not like this baby steps approach and feel we should use up all "above budget" income immediately. Don't have a strong opinion either way but I don't think that's the way the Club works. We're told all monies left over go into the player budget. To the best of my knowledge we've never been told that money will be for immediate use.

If we start the season with a stronger squad that also includes a second striker who'll score 10+ goals that'll be down largely to some astute business from the manager rather than him waving the cheque book in the air.

• Like 1

'[Cambridge United] Head Coach Shaun Derry added: "We're delighted to welcome Ade to Cambridge United.

"He's a player we have been keeping a close eye on for many months now. He brings a completely different dimension to our forward options..."'

You can say that again! :wacko:

I'm sorry but it's Azeez, there are many better strikers out there than him. I agree he was a hard worker and gave his all but that's not enough in professional football, you can't just work hard, you need the technique too as well as the hard work. You can disagree but I think Azeez leaving has strengthened the team, he had the most shots on goal of anyone in Scotland and scored... 3 GOALS!

I would point out that this has been said of Christie Elliott for many a season now but few (i think) would say he shouldn't be in the team given what he gives to the team. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

A lot argued last season whether Azeez was good enough or not. Ultimately, it didn't matter. The manager, who the vast majority of fans trust, decided he wasn't.

As others have said, nobody could fault his work rate, and if a player gives his all you can't ask for more. Unfortunately effort alone hasn't kept him at the club.

There is no way Archie would have let Azeez go without having a replacement lined up. I'm looking forward to seeing who we bring in.

Edited by Jag
  • Like 1

I'm sure he must have believed there was a goal scorer in him - he seemed to have everything else needed for a centre forward. Maybe, though I'm not sure we would have got him scoring next season; but he's gone and maybe it's a bit of luck as we'll maybe get someone in who doesn't panic at the sight of the goalkeeper approaching.

• Like 1

I'm baffled at this perception that Archie didn't rate him. Archie said that Azeez wanted to move back south due to family reasons. So Archie facilitated the move.

:thumbsup2: Never let the truth get in the way of a good story,eh, GRE? I happen to believe if a new striker/forward is signed within the next few days it'll be unrelated to Ade leaving us. I certainly don't subscribe to the view that Archie has an immediate replacement lined up.

I doubt very much if it's worth too much concern just yet but as I said before we'll have to redress the lack of strength and pace within forward areas of the squad. With Ade leaving, for all his faults, it maybe narrows our options somewhat.

• Like 3