When Do We Offer Bannigan A New Deal?

chunky jag

He looks like he's never been away if Saturday is anything to go by. We nearly lost him on a bosman before, what do you think Archie's plan is? If he's fit and playing well in October?

I'd offer him a multi year deal just now but I know with a major knee injury they club may be more risk averse than that.

Thoughts?

He looks like he's never been away if Saturday is anything to go by. We nearly lost him on a bosman before, what do you think Archie's plan is? If he's fit and playing well in October?

I'd offer him a multi year deal just now but I know with a major knee injury they club may be more risk averse than that.

Thoughts?

I concur with you entirely: i'd break the bank to retain him as a Jags player. Even laying aside sentiment for a moment, it makes sound business sense and logic to increase his worth in a pecuniary sense.

In particular, if Saturday is to be any guide with the best will in the world, I do not see the club standing in the player's way if the inevitable big money move transpires.

I concur with you entirely: i'd break the bank to retain him as a Jags player. Even laying aside sentiment for a moment, it makes sound business sense and logic to increase his worth in a pecuniary sense.

In particular, if Saturday is to be any guide, with the best will in the world, I do not see the club standing in the player's way if the inevitable big money move transpires.

In particular, if Saturday is to be any guide, with the best will in the world, I do not see the club standing in the player's way if the inevitable big money move transpires.

Interesting one. I think Bannigan would not have signed again for us if he hadn't got injured, and if he goes through much of the current season unscathed and in good form then he (or his agent) might look elsewhere again. If he's in good shape, then I'd like Archie to sign him on a 2-year deal with some kind of release clause if a decent offer came in.

• Like 1

He will only get better. Offer him a one year deal,sell him in the summer or if he says no, pump him on January if we get an offer.

Seems a bit harsh. I would give him a 2 year deal and keep him. As others have said he bring out the best of people around him such as booth and lawless. If he finds his previous form he will be one of our best players this season.

He will only get better. Offer him a one year deal,sell him in the summer or if he says no, pump him on January if we get an offer.

Long shot I know but if Gary Fraser was to return to full fitness and start living up to his potential then selling Banzo wouldn't seem so hard to take. It's as I say a long shot and they're different types of players anyway. Just we may not have the finances to extend contracts on both. Banzo maybe owes us as when he re-signed last season I think it was anticipated he'd play some part towards the end of last season. At the same time he's now at an age if he was to make a real name for himself down south he should be leaving us.

I see no reason why we can't extend Banzo's contract with a relatively low trigger threshold but that's a different matter. Even if we only got £50K for the lad it's £50K more than we were getting just over a year ago.

• Like 1

Seems a bit harsh. I would give him a 2 year deal and keep him. As others have said he bring out the best of people around him such as booth and lawless. If he finds his previous form he will be one of our best players this season.

I think I am being practical. If he regains his previous form he will be wanted. He will not sign a new contract and elect to move for nothing. Loyalty in this game is non existent. Except perhaps from Archie(too loyal maybe?). So if we can get something for him then we should take it. Bannigan won't bat an eyelid about moving on. He showed that previously before his injury.

• Like 1

As long as the physios are happy that the injury has cleared we should offer him a 2/3 year deal with release clause.

Stuart has the potential to earn big money elsewhere and we should not stand in his way nor bear any grudges about this. However if he wants to play for us as he surely does, and no offer comes in then we would be the winners.

He epitomises all that is good about Thistle at the moment.

I don't think I agree GRE on the loyalty issue.

Archie has stuck by Bannigan & Fraser, probably been more supportive than most folk realise. I expect they will feel that sense of responsibility to repay that faith in them.

I agree that Bannigan will show faith on the park, but if a good offer from a bigger club (I. E. Aberdeen) or down south comes up he will be off and won't think twice about it.

I agree that Bannigan will show faith on the park, but if a good offer from a bigger club (I. E. Aberdeen) or down south comes up he will be off and won't think twice about it.

I agree. If I was Banzo, I wouldn't be looking at a new deal until I knew what the alternatives are. You don't get many second chances in this game.

McCall had a couple of our players on a trigger fee of £X amount relevant to any club outside our league but triple that to any club in our league. Don't see why we can't do something similar with Banzo. Means we get something, if not a lot, if and when Banzo moves on. At the same time we'd only see him play against us if Aberdeen, Hearts or whoever paid a chunky transfer fee.