Sign in to follow this  
The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Tomas Cerny made a great penalty save against Dundee. He dived to the side but left a foot in the centre which somehow managed to divert the shot. We came from behind to grab a 2-1 win in the last minute. Sadly, we ended up being relegated. If we had survived, then Tomas' save might have been regarded as a turning point. 

Also against Dundee.

Up at Dens, Fox managed to get himself sent off when he should've been preparing himself to face a penalty kick. Paul Gallagher comes on and duly saves the penalty from Harkins and we draw the game.

As an aside that game wasn't our finest but I don't think I've seen a Jags team in recent years play better than we did in the first 30 mins.

A question for the Archive guys:

Jags vs. Montrose, 12th December 1970.

3-2.

The Official History book gives the Jags scorers as McQuade, Coulston and Glavin, but the Archive credits Glavin with a hat-trick.

Qui a raison?

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

A question for the Archive guys:

Jags vs. Montrose, 12th December 1970.

3-2.

The Official History book gives the Jags scorers as McQuade, Coulston and Glavin, but the Archive credits Glavin with a hat-trick.

Qui a raison?

We (The Thistle Archive) went for a Glavin hat-trick on the strength of both the Evening Times (report)  and the Glasgow Herald (scores and scorers)  [Ev Times "Glavin slams home three".]  It's true that the Aberdeen Evening Express gives the scorers as McQuade, Coulston and Glavin in that order but it is highly unusual for two scorers to be mis-credited.  It's largely on the balance of probabilities. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, happy to hear from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have checked my battered old scrapbook for that season and can confirm the scorers were:- 

Montrose - 60 minutes

McQuade - 61 minutes

Coulston -   62 minutes

Glavin -         70 minutes

Montrose -  83 minutes

To be honest, I didn't have to check because I remember the goal from Denis - it came straight from the restart after Montrose had gone ahead - a rasper from about 40 yards into the top corner - it rivals his mazy run and shot against Clyde as his best ever.

A young Ronnie Glavin took over the striker role from Jimmy Bone for a few weeks - he is probably my favourite ever Thistle  player but he definitely never scored a hat-trick that season. Could the Evening Times Report been a misprint - "Glavin slams home number three"...though I have his goal marked as a header!

I can't remember much about last Saturday's game though B)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I have checked my battered old scrapbook for that season and can confirm the scorers were:- 

Montrose - 60 minutes

McQuade - 61 minutes

Coulston -   62 minutes

Montrose -  83 minutes

To be honest, I didn't have to check because I remember the goal from Denis - it came straight from the restart after Montrose had gone ahead - a rasper from about 40 yards into the top corner - it rivals his mazy run and shot against Clyde as his best ever.

A young Ronnie Glavin took over the striker role from Jimmy Bone for a few weeks - he is probably my favourite ever Thistle  player but he definitely never scored a hat-trick that season. Could the Evening Times Report been a misprint - "Glavin slams home number three"...though I have his goal marked as a header!

Denis' goal against Clyde was a thing of sheer beauty.

Compelling reply W  o 63!  Looks like we're wrong and your scrapbook has come up trumps. Will discuss with my colleagues and make the necessary changes. Rest assured we won't be asking for your scrapbook to be forensically tested. I'm sure you have an honest face! Your misprint explanation is most likely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Montrose - 60 minutes

McQuade - 61 minutes

Coulston -   62 minutes

Montrose -  83 minutes

Looks like Montrose were so mesmerised by Denis' goal that before they had recovered, Frank had knocked in another one.

Definitely remember McQuade as scorer of the first goal. The game had 0-0 written all over it, until Montrose took a shock lead, and Thistle woke up. A one-two with Glavin set up Denis for the spectacular rocket into the top corner.

^ Thanks Jaggernaut / Everyone, and apologies for the delay in amending the Archive for the above. Normally we'd have aimed to get that done on the same day, but the site has been on a hiatus on technicalities.

Re the (alleged) Glavin hat-trick, the Evening Times was quite categoric as you can see, even going so far as to run with the headline "GLAVIN SLAMS HOME THREE". As late as the Monday, the Glasgow Herald re-iterated the claim, albeit without a detailed match report. Just shows you what a minefield it can be.

There are literally hundreds of games with contradictory reports, so we're delighted to receive all the anecdotal evidence for this one (also backed up with some contemporary evidence). You can't see it in the current version of the site we're projecting, but you may be pleased to know that we had this issue covered in our "Dubious Goals Panel" report. All such reports will be included in phase two of the site's design (on the site they're all in place up to 1923-24 and from 2013-14 onwards as things stand).

Behind the scenes (for now), our updated DGP entry now reads: "The ET is explicit with a Ronnie Glavin hat trick for Thistle, even running with the headline, "Glavin Slams Home Three". GH also has the Glavin hat-trick. However, the OH credits "Frank Coulston, Denis McQuade, Ronnie Glavin" with the 3 goals, an account which is backed up contemporarily up by the AEE. Crucially, we have scrapbook notes from a Thistle fan on-the-spot which solidifies the latter, backed up with members of the WAT forum who have Denis McQuade's "spectacular rocket" firmly etched in memory!"

On the site, the McQuade/Coulston/Glavin 1-2-3 has been applied everywhere it needs to be today. Denis's strike was actually our first-ever competitive goal v. Montrose. Makes it 20 League goals for Coulston that season. He and Mo Johnston (22, 1982-83) are the only two to have broken through that barrier in nearly 70 years!

Thanks also to Winter of 63 for all his behind-the-scenes sharing of goal timings and all-sorts from his scrapbooks of the era. We've taken notes galore and we'll all get the benefits in time when the Archive fleshes out. As we say on our Twitter... Oor Archive, Your Archive, A'Body's Archive. Help!

We're still having issues with the Wikidot platform, but at least our databases have been restored so we'll be getting lots of things updated in the coming weeks. All of this season's player stats were updated in the last day or two; please keep an eye on the home page news for more developments in the days and weeks ahead...

• Like 1