January 23 Window

thestreets

Wonder if the changeover at board room will affect any comings and goings in January? We can most likely agree, by consensus at least, the roles needing filled. But I feel results between now and January will decide the level of urgency re recruitment. Wouldn't be too concerned if McCall has to go with a neutral January budget. That's effectively one or two players leaving and being replaced by one or two to the same value.  

Feel the chances of promotion with mere tinkering in the January window and under the present management are slim. 

On 12/12/2022 at 7:13 PM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Will we have any money? And if we have, do we trust McCall with it?

Yes I think he can be trusted to spend any money we might have wisely. For example,  Docherty, Graham, Tiffoney  Muirhead  McMillan, Holt, Brownlie, Lawless,  Milne,and  Turner have all been good signings.

Jury's still out on Mitchell and Hodson  also Akinola who has regressed after a great start. Smith and Fitzpstrick have failed to cut it. However when signed most fans thought they were good additions to the squad.

There has in my view never been any doubt that IMC knows a player when he sees one but the arguments on here have tended to focus on his knowing what to do with them. A assertion  I think which was more appropriate for his predecessor.

In the future I think IMC would be ideal for a Director of Football role, preferably at Firhill,  working with a young upcoming manager.

But I don't see this happening as it would mean Archibald and /or Scally leaving, preferably Archibald. On principle I think IMC would leave as well.

Just now, exiledjag said:

Yes I think he can be trusted to spend any money we might have wisely. For example,  Docherty, Graham, Tiffoney  Muirhead  McMillan, Holt, Brownlie, Lawless,  Milne,and  Turner have all been good signings.

Jury's still out on Mitchell and Hodson  also Akinola who has regressed after a great start. Smith and Fitzpstrick have failed to cut it. However when signed most fans thought they were good additions to the squad.

There has in my view never been any doubt that IMC knows a player when he sees one but the arguments on here have tended to focus on his knowing what to do with them. A assertion  I think which was more appropriate for his predecessor.

In the future I think IMC would be ideal for a Director of Football role, preferably at Firhill,  working with a young upcoming manager.

But I don't see this happening as it would mean Archibald and /or Scally leaving, preferably Archibald. On principle I think IMC would leave as well.

The 3 of them leaving would complete the clear out. Hopefully. 

19 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Probably mostly youngsters.

I could be wrong but I thought their (Hibs) manager was saying he had a first team squad of 28 players. The squad he inherited plus 143 players he sign since his appointment. His objective now is to make further signings in January and off-load the 13 or so players  who don't fit into his plans.  I expect some will be youngsters but not all.

If Lady IB is right we might be able to afford one or two. Additional players. I still think the squad we have is good enough for a play-off place assuming we can keep everyone fit.

If we are stuck for cash sdding some weight and muscle to our lightweight midfield should be the priority!

BTW  re my previous post 143 should read 13.

I would have thought our movements in the January transfer window would be fairly small and as much about getting people out as in and therefore cost neutral or a cost reduction.

Akinola, Smith, Weston and possibly Mullin would be the candidates to head out. We need a centre half, a CDM and possibly another midfielder. So either 3 out 2 in or 4 out 3 in

Shaughnessy at St Mirren was rumoured before and he's still not getting a game at St Mirren so he might be someone we go back for. 

The CDM is the difficult one. Alex Gogic seems to not be first choice at St Mirren and if we could get he would tick a lot of boxes. However he's probably out of our budget so I could see us looking at someone like Barry Maguire at Motherwell on loan.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting TJF funding goes directly into some January player budget. Merely pointing out that whatever the financial state of play was at the beginning of last week it's now presumably potentially boosted with the addition of TJF funds. That in itself won't be that accurate as there's still a lot of work to be done in negotiation with PTFC Trust.

Actually I would expect a neutral (even negative) spend in January. It's plain to see that the squad isn't as strong as we thought. If the manager can't see that then he shouldn't be trusted with additional funding. So we either ship out the players who are under performing that we can afford to pay off or we make do with the status quo. I reckon we've a strong enough squad to maintain a mid table status.

If we however want to challenge for promotion in a sustainable way,  we'll need a fair amount of comings and goings. I'd suggest that bringing in aging Premier League players in key positions may help us reach the top four but we then might not have a nucleus of a squad to kick on in the top tier. Would like to see any incomings being youngish players with prospects to improve.

52 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We have games coming up against Ayr and ICT before the transfer window opens. If we don't get something from these games, then there is no point in even tinkering in January. In that case it would be mid table mediocrity whatever happens

And a slide to a boring end to the season and surely and end to McCall.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

I would have thought our movements in the January transfer window would be fairly small and as much about getting people out as in and therefore cost neutral or a cost reduction.

Akinola, Smith, Weston and possibly Mullin would be the candidates to head out. We need a centre half, a CDM and possibly another midfielder. So either 3 out 2 in or 4 out 3 in

Shaughnessy at St Mirren was rumoured before and he's still not getting a game at St Mirren so he might be someone we go back for. 

The CDM is the difficult one. Alex Gogic seems to not be first choice at St Mirren and if we could get he would tick a lot of boxes. However he's probably out of our budget so I could see us looking at someone like Barry Maguire at Motherwell on loan.

If there was a choice to be made between Weston and Mullin, I would keep Weston every time.