Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Agreed. If he'd made anything like the impact Mullen made as a sub then I'd have been happy for him to get more starts.

That's basically my point re Dowds being a kinda Graham Lite. Opposition defences see off Big Brian after 65-70 mins. On comes Anton and the defences don't have to change. Bring on say a lighter, speedier, direct running type of forward that's a different matter. 

53 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That's basically my point re Dowds being a kinda Graham Lite. Opposition defences see off Big Brian after 65-70 mins. On comes Anton and the defences don't have to change. Bring on say a lighter, speedier, direct running type of forward that's a different matter. 

Yep, that makes sense.

The above post got me thinking: Are there examples of a Thistle light, speedy, direct running type of forward who was having no joy being replaced by a sub who was let's say, not the most mobile but a big, strong nuisance with a bit of skill, and the sub goes ahead and scores? I don't mean in just one game, but in several games, thus becoming a kind of super-sub.

Edited for grammar and punctuation!

Edited by Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The above post got me thinking: Are there examples of a Thistle light, speedy, direct running type of forward who was having no joy being replaced by a sub who was let's say, not the most mobile but a big, strong nuisance with a bit of skill, and the sub goes ahead and scores? I don't mean in just one game, but in several games, thus becoming a kind of super-sub.

Edited for grammar and punctuation!

Not exactly Thistle but that has worked for Scotland in last couple of years several times when we've taken off Che Adams and brought on Lyndon Dykes

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

There's bound to be a few but can't think of any. Worth minding the amount of times on Jags forums and in pub talk we've lamented not having a big fella upfront. Big Brian certainly an exception to a rule. Successes like Grady, Buchanan, Roberts, Dools etc all been lightweights. Can only come up with a few "nearly" ones like John Gemmell.

49 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There's bound to be a few but can't think of any. Worth minding the amount of times on Jags forums and in pub talk we've lamented not having a big fella upfront. Big Brian certainly an exception to a rule. Successes like Grady, Buchanan, Roberts, Dools etc all been lightweights. Can only come up with a few "nearly" ones like John Gemmell.

You seem to have forgotten Matthias Pogba

• Haha 1