Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

Even though I'm disappointed to see some of our own better players moving on, and some released players whom I think could have produced the goods for us if they'd been give more chances, these days I actually quite enjoy all the close-season updates about who has gone and who has arrived. With the latter in particular, it's always interesting to look forward to seeing whether players who've ended up signing for us will come good or will flop/fail to live up to expectations. There have been some who were nothing but an embarrassment (Jorge Cadette, anybody?), and some who turned out (eventually) to be top dogs (e.g., Toastie Burns, for one!).

I remember "hating" Paul McGrillen before he became a Jags player. Ended up loving him!

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Not sure how many of our out of contract players will sign up again, if rumours are correct not many if any at all. So i hope we are actively looking to replace them and we don't miss out on any new signings waiting on their answers. 

Depends what funds we have. Not a lot I would think, unless there is a decent investment from somewhere.

We need to be realistic. 

None of our players are on life-securing salaries (Holt @ 60k appears to have been the top earner), so if they get offers that allow them to improve their families' status then they all have a responsibility to do so.

And let's face it, the way we played for 5.75 of those play-off games will have brought them all to the attention of all non-Glasgow clubs in the division above.

In the ideal world, would love to keep Turner and Docherty. I fear both, but particularly the latter will be sorely missed next season.

However, in Kris Doolan I trust, let's see what he is able to influence over the coming weeks.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

We need to be realistic. 

None of our players are on life-securing salaries (Holt @ 60k appears to have been the top earner), so if they get offers that allow them to improve their families' status then they all have a responsibility to do so.

And let's face it, the way we played for 5.75 of those play-off games will have brought them all to the attention of all non-Glasgow clubs in the division above.

In the ideal world, would love to keep Turner and Docherty. I fear both, but particularly the latter will be sorely missed next season.

However, in Kris Doolan I trust, let's see what he is able to influence over the coming weeks.

What? You mean we can't hijack Benzema and Messi's moves? With all that money pouring in?

8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

What? You mean we can't hijack Benzema and Messi's moves? With all that money pouring in?

If this weather keeps up - we might have a chance!!

Still no way Messi gets a start before wee Stevie though, so at best he'd be a luxury signing.

Edited by Barney Rubble

The squad that ended season 2022/23 were in essence a squad that had been together for the last 3 seasons. Whilst I would love to keep Tiffoney, Turner, Docherty and Holt it is perhaps natural after 3 seasons that we need to refresh the squad. 

Since we got relegated from the premier in 2018 we have recruited in a broadly similar manner.  Archie signed a lot of expensive experience pro's then Caldwell did the same but both just recruited poorly. McCalls squad was only really different in a couple of ways.  Whilst most of the squad was seasoned pro's there was the odd promising youngster such as Tiffoney, Turner and Rudden. He was also just better at identifying talent than either Archie or Caldwell.

This time money dictates that we probably won't be able to go for seasoned pro's on permanent deals. If I had a hope its that our permanent signings are younger (i.e. no older than 27) so we can build a team to challenge in 2 or 3 seasons. If we need older players I hope that is where we use our loans.

It was always going to be interesting to see what Doolan's approach would be given he has no track history but with finances also an influence this window may be one of the most interesting in a while and perhaps depart form the approach of the last 5 years?

It’s hard to know how we’ll recruit. On one hand, it looks like we’re skint, on the other hand we don’t know what the investment spoken about/hinted at in the club’s statement involves. We’re surely running a smaller budget than last season but will it be as small as people assume? Is it still going to be a top 4 budget for this league? 

I’d imagine Turner and Docherty will be leaving - I’d look at Kerr McInroy from Kilmarnock, who McInnes doesn’t seem to rate. I see Archie is a coach at Killie now so if we were one of a number of clubs in for a loan of someone like McInroy, hopefully that swings it a little in our favour. 

Just now, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just noticed, in actual fact he is!

That could work against us. I would assume at his age Fulham would be due a payment which we can't afford

Shame because he looked a good player with a bright future if he can get regular game time.

I’m pretty sure it only applies to anyone under 23.

If a 20 year old is coming to the end of his contract, and you offer him a new one (think it needs to be on equal or better terms?) then if he rejects it and signs for someone else, you’re due compensation. 

Tiffoney’s 24 and Turner’s 25 so doesn’t apply for them. 

Yes this is going to be an interesting transfer window in terms of who has or might leave and who might join the club.

One thing is certain and that is the squad that starts the season will be, in the main, Kris Doolan's squad. He has done very well with his management of what was Ian McCall's squad so it will be interesting to see how he does with an almost entirely new squad.

I wish him all the best and uf he gets off to a good start  we will all need to keep our expectations in check.