Partick Thistle Women - Season 23/24

Fawlty Towers

Brilliant win tonight. 

Better side from first to last whistle with Aberdeen's goal very much against the run of play. 

There was only go to be one winner after Rosie Slater's wonderful equaliser. 

We shouldn't have had to go up to Aberdeen's training ground to fill a SWPL1 fixture but we bossed it tonight. Absolutely bossed it. 

Just five points behind the other mob from Petershill Park in third as well. 

There was pizza afterwards and it's a happy bus. Love this team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

Brilliant win tonight. 

Better side from first to last whistle with Aberdeen's goal very much against the run of play. 

There was only go to be one winner after Rosie Slater's wonderful equaliser. 

We shouldn't have had to go up to Aberdeen's training ground to fill a SWPL1 fixture but we bossed it tonight. Absolutely bossed it. 

Just five points behind the other mob from Petershill Park in third as well. 

There was pizza afterwards and it's a happy bus. Love this team.

Not sure I am following the point about where the game was played Tom ? If we had built the training facility at Kirkintilloch, were the women not going to play there ? Or is the point that it isn’t their designated ground ? 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Not sure I am following the point about where the game was played Tom ? If we had built the training facility at Kirkintilloch, were the women not going to play there ? Or is the point that it isn’t their designated ground ? 

The fixture, due to be played at Aberdeen WFC's home ground at Cove Rangers, was postponed by the league because of the storms that weekend. 

Aberdeen didn't have access to that venue for the re-arranged date hence the shift to Cormack Park and a 7:15pm kick-off due to, as I understand, a compliance to have the floodlights switched off by a certain time. 

My own personal view, and I must stress it's a personal view, is that while Cormack Park is a quite excellent training facility it isn't suitable for SWPL football. 

The pitch we played on was essentially a 4g cage with the dressing rooms the other side of a small car park. No elevated spectating facilities just a rail alongside one side of the pitch, no cover, only available toilet some distance from the pitch, no catering facilities for spectators, no PA so no team/sub announcements and no pitchside media facility, although post match it was excellent. 

I personally don't think it does the league's credibility, or the growth of the women’s game, any good to play any fixture at a venue like that. It would be like Thistle not being able to use Petershill Park and playing the game at Springburn Park. 

This is topflight football in the women's game in Scotland and last night's game an important one in terms of top six places. 

It was hopefully just a result of circumstances, It's hardly Aberdeen's fault that the original game was correctly postponed by the league, and won't be repeated. It was, however, the third time we've had a fixture with Aberdeen rescheduled to Cormack Park, so we''ve been unlucky in that regard. 

3 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

The fixture, due to be played at Aberdeen WFC's home ground at Cove Rangers, was postponed by the league because of the storms that weekend. 

Aberdeen didn't have access to that venue for the re-arranged date hence the shift to Cormack Park and a 7:15pm kick-off due to, as I understand, a compliance to have the floodlights switched off by a certain time. 

My own personal view, and I must stress it's a personal view, is that while Cormack Park is a quite excellent training facility it isn't suitable for SWPL football. 

The pitch we played on was essentially a 4g cage with the dressing rooms the other side of a small car park. No elevated spectating facilities just a rail alongside one side of the pitch, no cover, only available toilet some distance from the pitch, no catering facilities for spectators, no PA so no team/sub announcements and no pitchside media facility, although post match it was excellent. 

I personally don't think it does the league's credibility, or the growth of the women’s game, any good to play any fixture at a venue like that. It would be like Thistle not being able to use Petershill Park and playing the game at Springburn Park. 

This is topflight football in the women's game in Scotland and last night's game an important one in terms of top six places. 

It was hopefully just a result of circumstances, It's hardly Aberdeen's fault that the original game was correctly postponed by the league, and won't be repeated. It was, however, the third time we've had a fixture with Aberdeen rescheduled to Cormack Park, so we''ve been unlucky in that regard. 

Thanks for the explanation,Tom. It’s probably up to the league to define what is acceptable for their games to be played.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

Given the above I suppose there aren't any highlights of the game!?

18 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Given the above I suppose there aren't any highlights of the game!?

There should be at some point but our camera angle was pitchside. Aberdeen had an elevated position and the goals are on the SWPL socials. 

Meantime here's our third goal and Brian getting his celebration a bit wrong. 

Edited by Tom Hosie

46 minutes ago, Tom Hosie said:

There should be at some point but our camera angle was pitchside. Aberdeen had an elevated position and the goals are on the SWPL socials. 

Another red card for BBG. :thinking: :D

Edited by Auld Jag

3 hours ago, Tom Hosie said:

Tom, just watched the highlights (9 minute version). What an excellent victory!

Viewing on screen, and in particular as regards the end where all the goals were scored, I found it very hard to differentiate between the actual match goalposts and the numerous other sets of goalposts lying around nearby. Was that a problem for the players (both attacking and defending) or was that much easier on the pitch than it looked on screen?

26 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Tom, just watched the highlights (9 minute version). What an excellent victory!

Viewing on screen, and in particular as regards the end where all the goals were scored, I found it very hard to differentiate between the actual match goalposts and the numerous other sets of goalposts lying around nearby. Was that a problem for the players (both attacking and defending) or was that much easier on the pitch than it looked on screen?

Not an issue watching from the sidelines. Perhaps the lack of depth perception on the video? 

• Thanks 1

It’s an interesting discussion that is arising here around the kickoff time and some players not being able to make it because they are part time. It’s one that doesn’t come up in the men’s game which has part time players even in our league. What is the issue particularly for the women’s team ?

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It’s an interesting discussion that is arising here around the kickoff time and some players not being able to make it because they are part time. It’s one that doesn’t come up in the men’s game which has part time players even in our league. What is the issue particularly for the women’s team ?

Good question on which others will be more qualified to comment. 2 possible factors:

1) I think kick off time was particularly early in this case whereas as far as I am aware midweek men’s matches are all fairly standard at 7.45 or similar times.

2) Huge generalisation, but women players perhaps more likely to be school teachers, especially primary school teachers. My own daughter happens to be in that category and I know that negotiating time off is a virtual non-starter.

7 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Sorry to keep asking questions, but as a matter of interest how many regular players were we down due to the awkward kick off time? I know that Rachel Donaldson is a schoolteacher which would have ruled her out. Were there any others in the same category?

I think ultimately it was 3 or 4 players and 1 assistant manager that were missing. Which as I understand was a hell of a lot better than was first anticipated. 

A couple of years ago, even at times last season, that would have killed us. There is real depth in numbers and quality to this squad. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Good question on which others will be more qualified to comment. 2 possible factors:

1) I think kick off time was particularly early in this case whereas as far as I am aware midweek men’s matches are all fairly standard at 7.45 or similar times.

2) Huge generalisation, but women players perhaps more likely to be school teachers, especially primary school teachers. My own daughter happens to be in that category and I know that negotiating time off is a virtual non-starter.

I wonder, though, whether 30 mins would make such a big difference for a game in Aberdeen.