Partick Thistle Women - Season 23/24

Fawlty Towers

The Women's team start their league campaign this afternoon at home against Dundee United (1.10pm kick off). The game is on BBC Alba as well.

The team did very well last season getting in to the top 6 and I watched a lot of the home games on youtube (must get along to a game or two this season) and they play a very nice style of football.

Good luck this season!

Great start to the season with a 4-0 victory against Dundee United.

1-0 up early on then a player sent off but go on to make it 2-0 before halftime.

Saw out the second half quite easily and two late penalties made the scoreline more realistic as we were by far the better team even down to 10 players.

If Kris or any of the male players were watching they would have seen what happens when you press and harry the opposition.

Well done :clapping:

• Like 4

A really impressive display by the PTWFC today. 

Graham said that Docherty got sent off for swearing, but she was not swearing at the ref. Not sure if this is part of the clamp down that refs are doing from this season, but all Partick Thistle players (men and women) take note, don't want to be sent off for that.

10 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

A really impressive display by the PTWFC today. 

Graham said that Docherty got sent off for swearing, but she was not swearing at the ref. Not sure if this is part of the clamp down that refs are doing from this season, but all Partick Thistle players (men and women) take note, don't want to be sent off for that.

Thanks. I was watching it on TV and was shocked when the red card came out. It must be that Docherty was frustrated, swore and the ref thought it was directed at him.

Just now, Fawlty Towers said:

Thanks. I was watching it on TV and was shocked when the red card came out. It must be that Docherty was frustrated, swore and the ref thought it was directed at him.

I was also watching on TV, Graham got interviewed as he came out after the break and also at full time.

I watched the highlights (over and hour) of this match and was astonished by the red card.

However if the ref sent off Docherty for swearing even though the expletive was not directed at him then that is a very wide interpretation of abusive behaviour. So as has been said on this thread already - better not to swear at all.

To the football. I thought the Jags looked the better team and deserved to win. However I also thought the standard was poor. All kick and rush with very little football being played. I am sure the ladies eill improve as the season goes and they lose the close season rustiness. The squad looks stronger and should be aiming for top 6 again albeit it will be tough.

Dundee utd looked like relegation material.

Well done to the Jags Ladies on an convincing win.

31 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Anybody watched any World Cup matches? Due to work I haven't seen any live matches. How has the standard been?

'Monra Aussies!

Haven’t watched very much, but I have been disappointed in the standard. Thought there have been too many misplaced passes and standard of goalkeeping not great either. 

56 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Haven’t watched very much, but I have been disappointed in the standard. Thought there have been too many misplaced passes and standard of goalkeeping not great either. 

Only watched 5 minute highlight segments, so cannot offer any overall judgment, but there have been some brilliant moves and goals (and goal line clearances) to set against your very fair observations. 

The height of goalkeepers as compared to the height of the goals does make it a different game as regards shots and crosses aiming for the very highest parts of the goal. 

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Only watched 5 minute highlight segments, so cannot offer any overall judgment, but there have been some brilliant moves and goals (and goal line clearances) to set against your very fair observations. 

The height of goalkeepers as compared to the height of the goals does make it a different game as regards shots and crosses aiming for the very highest parts of the goal. 

Yeah, wonder whether the goals should be smaller for that reason.

Watching the 2nd semi just now and have enjoyed this game which England thoroughly deserved to win.  

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Yeah, wonder whether the goals should be smaller for that reason.

Watching the 2nd semi just now and have enjoyed this game which England thoroughly deserved to win.  

I think making the goals smaller would demean the game. It's not like all the games are finishing 9-8 or anything

22 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think making the goals smaller would demean the game. It's not like all the games are finishing 9-8 or anything

I am not sure about it demeaning the game. I am just thinking about the keepers having the same chance of reaching the corners of the goals as the men.

45 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not sure about it demeaning the game. I am just thinking about the keepers having the same chance of reaching the corners of the goals as the men.

I think people would see it more as a different game if things were literally different. It would also cause a headache at facilities, as all grassroots facilities would need two sets of goals etc..

More importantly, I don't see the point. Scores in the Women's game are comparable to the men's game. I assume that this may be because some things even themselves out (average heights may be lower, but so presumably is average shot power/ball speed).

As an aside, I remember there used to be a regular debate particularly in the early nineties, when I think average goals per game were declining in the men's game and people were worried about increasingly dull matches (Italia 90 and USA 94 were criticized for being dull in this regard I think), as to whether goals should be made bigger. The rationale being that players' average height had significantly increased in the 100 years or so since the goal size was set.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
typo