Partick Thistle Women - Season 23/24

Fawlty Towers

54 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Almost 900 at the match! That's tremendous; considerably above three of the attendances in League One. And the team is doing well too. Long may it continue.

Is there no way Firhill could become the women's permanent home fixtures venue?

Realistically I think it would require the Club to revisit the type of playing surface we have.

I was at Bromley a few weeks back to take in a game. Their FA cup game was on the TV at the weekend and their Chairman pointed out to the pundits that their pitch gets used extensively almost every day, across its men's team, women's team and youth development teams.

If it had been grass, they'd have needed at least a second pitch, as it simply wouldn't last the winter months. Bromley's a cracking wee community club that's really invested in facilities and getting the local community involved, but it's involved that trade-off.

I know quite a few folk have linked the use of synthetic surfaces in the women's game (for the most part) to the high rates of ACL injuries. I get the sense that if you're going to go synthetic, you really have to do it properly and not cheap out.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Almost 900 at the match! That's tremendous; considerably above three of the attendances in League One. And the team is doing well too. Long may it continue.

Bear in mind the tickets were free which would have boosted the attendance 

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Don’t forget it was free.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

So, it was free. Who knows what the difference would be if it became 2 or 3 quid to see the women doing their best every time? And if children were free, I think it could only only be good. 

I am not following this. Do they not do their best when they play at Petershill ? Is it not £5 usually ? I think the previous best this season was 300 odd - probably against Celtic or Rangers. I am sure some of those extra that turned up at Firhill will go along to Peterhill more regularly.

17 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not following this. Do they not do their best when they play at Petershill ? Is it not £5 usually ? I think the previous best this season was 300 odd - probably against Celtic or Rangers. I am sure some of those extra that turned up at Firhill will go along to Peterhill more regularly.

If more people go to see the women playing at Petershill then that's good. But it's not a real stadium, is it? Firhill is at least three-quarters of a real stadium.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

"Still not following. Should the academy teams play at Firhill too ?"

Nope. I don't think I've seen anybody suggesting that (But why not, if feasible?) Given the general move towards promoting the women's game in particular, what's the problem with having them play their matches at Firhill?

See Woodstock Jag's response earlier in the thread.

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

"Still not following. Should the academy teams play at Firhill too ?"

Nope. I don't think I've seen anybody suggesting that (But why not, if feasible?) Given the general move towards promoting the women's game in particular, what's the problem with having them play their matches at Firhill?

The women probably don’t damage the pitch as much as men but we can’t forget the state the pitch got into when we shared with QP.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The women probably don’t damage the pitch as much as men but we can’t forget the state the pitch got into when we shared with QP.

Aye, Queens Park had a few archaeologists playing for them. Time Team had nothing on them. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

WJ referred to the pitch being used extensively, daily. My point was about having the women's team play their home matches at Firhill, nothing more than that.

That "nothing more"  would amount to an additional 20 games played at Firhill per season. On occasion 24 hours either side of a men's team fixture. You remember our previous ground sharing arrangements? 

A pitch needs recovery time. 

There's probably a reason why no women's team in the two divisions of the SWPL play any more than a handful of their home games at the 'main' stadium, for want of a better word, which has a grass pitch. 

Sunday's fixture was a special day for PTWFC. It was an opportunity to try and give the girls an opportunity to showcase their talent to a wider audience. Hence the free admission. Hopefully some that were seeing them for the first time will go and see them play at Petershill Park. Numbers watching them at the excellent facilities there have been growing steadily season on season. 

Personally I hope the Firhill fixture will become an annual thing, but finding the combination of an approriate slot and fixture to play there isn't easy. That's why we haven't played at Firhill since stepping up to the SWPL. 

Even the most basic of grasp of pitch maintenance should be sufficient to understand why PTWFC making Firhill their permanent home just isn't going to happen while it remains a grass surface. 

• Like 1

The team are playing tomorrow evening in Aberdeen (rearranged after the game was called off because of the bad weather a few weeks ago). Will be a tough one but hopefully we can get a positive result. Draw for cup semi final is also tomorrow.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-fixture/aberdeen-wfc-v-partick-thistle-wfc-22th-october-2023/#match-preview