Songs

geecee

Keep them simple.  Football chants should be a few words and some clapping.  Some  of our new songs need a full lyric sheet.  Don't over complicate it.   That said the young team do a great job in trying to create an atmosphere both home and away. Keep it up.  

• 2 weeks later...

The "Killie" ("no so f*ckin' silly) song also makes us look like a wee team with a perennial chip on its shoulder against a much more successful team than us.

ETA: Now that the old queen has expired, does that mean that the "Hello Hello" song will also fade into history? Or is some wordsmith trying to come up with a rhyme for "king"?

Edited by Jaggernaut

On 8/23/2023 at 2:18 PM, Jaggernaut said:

The "Killie" ("no so f*ckin' silly) song also makes us look like a wee team with a perennial chip on its shoulder against a much more successful team than us.

ETA: Now that the old queen has expired, does that mean that the "Hello Hello" song will also fade into history? Or is some wordsmith trying to come up with a rhyme for "king"?

"...the whole potato thing"?

I don't remember the precise game, but maybe around 6-8 years ago, I managed to get to a game at Firhill for the first time in a few years, and heard for the first time "Oh Maryhill is wonderful.....," and absolutely loved it! I think the slow introduction lasted a bit longer back then than now. 

Agree that some of the new songs that appeared last season have been brilliant. I miss the Darren Brownlie and Connor McAvoy songs.

However my personal favourite and one we don't seem to do justice to anymore is the one were we starting of chanting Thistle slowly and then it gradually speeds up. Used to create the feeling that the ball was being sucked towards the goal when we were chasing a ate winner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, harrywrag said:

Think it was sung to the tune of Lily the pink 

Scot Symons medicinal compound think I still have the words in house words were handed out under the shed

Great! Looks like one of those attempts to orchestrate a song which usually fail. I'd have been going to matches then but have no recollection.  I think most fans don't appreciate being handed out song sheets that they're invited/coaxed to follow.

3 hours ago, laukat said:

Agree that some of the new songs that appeared last season have been brilliant. I miss the Darren Brownlie and Connor McAvoy songs.

However my personal favourite and one we don't seem to do justice to anymore is the one were we starting of chanting Thistle slowly and then it gradually speeds up. Used to create the feeling that the ball was being sucked towards the goal when we were chasing a ate winner.

Both the songs you mention were undergoing a revival on Saturday with Ben Stanway replacing Darren Brownlie and Kerr McInroy replacing Connor McAvoy. However, in my inexpert musical opinion, both replacement names are a syllable short of the optimum.

Back in the distant past the Shed used to sing:-

"Aye, aye, aye aye

Niven is better than Yashin

Flanagan's better than Eusebio

We'll play the h*ns and we'll thrash them."

Sung to that most memorable of songs "Aye Aye Aye" by Count Owen and His Calypsonians.  You can even listen to the magnificent Count Owen singing it on You Tube!

(His version - not ours.)

Edited by East Kent Jag II
His version...