Scotland U-21

QXBoy

Woke up Saturday, went online to the BBC website to get the score against Hungary. Happy to see 3 - 1 win, clicked for a report - NADA, despite having a report of England's game against Sebia on Thursday. (BRITISH B C?)

Then went on to the Scottish Sun and was happy to see a report by someone called David Robson. Only problem, the report contained the following phrases - "shined at Firhill" "Partick Thistle's home turf" "put on a show in Maryhill" "packed Firhill crowd" "man of the match at Firhill". Begs the question of the reporter "Were you at the game"? The game took place in Motherwell!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Woke up Saturday, went online to the BBC website to get the score against Hungary. Happy to see 3 - 1 win, clicked for a report - NADA, despite having a report of England's game against Sebia on Thursday. (BRITISH B C?)

Then went on to the Scottish Sun and was happy to see a report by someone called David Robson. Only problem, the report contained the following phrases - "shined at Firhill" "Partick Thistle's home turf" "put on a show in Maryhill" "packed Firhill crowd" "man of the match at Firhill". Begs the question of the reporter "Were you at the game"? The game took place in Motherwell!

It’s easy to confuse Firhill with Fir Park ….

The standard of journalism in the mainstream media is clearly deteriorating. As for the BBC not bothering to put up a report tells you all you need to know. I stopped paying the licence fee last year. 

8 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

It’s easy to confuse Firhill with Fir Park ….

The standard of journalism in the mainstream media is clearly deteriorating. As for the BBC not bothering to put up a report tells you all you need to know. I stopped paying the licence fee last year. 

Except there was a report on the BBC Sport website last night. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The game finished at approximateky 9.00 p.m BST. I checked at approximately 2.30 a.m. BST.

Are you saying that sometime in that five and a half hour period there was a report, then there wasn't?

Because there still ain't!

I stand corrected (partially).

In my defence I would point out that I access what I want by going directly to "Scores and  Fixtures". Having done so I click on any game that interests me for a report (e.g. for Thistle games). I do not access by opening "Football" , then searching for Scottish football particularly.

The fact that a report is available only underlines my annoyance that it is not linked to the match result under "Scores and Fixtures".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, QXBoy said:

I stand corrected (partially).

In my defence I would point out that I access what I want by going directly to "Scores and  Fixtures". Having done so I click on any game that interests me for a report (e.g. for Thistle games). I do not access by opening "Football" , then searching for Scottish football particularly.

The fact that a report is available only underlines my annoyance that it is not linked to the match result under "Scores and Fixtures".

Click the Scotland Sport link for any Scottish-related action/information

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Good to see they got something right but I don’t miss the wrong Thistle team line ups, wrong goalscorers, wrong assists, wrong subs, unable to spell our managers name correctly, wrong stats, and us occasionally being at home in Motherwell. Apart from that they were great😀

4 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Good to see they got something right but I don’t miss the wrong Thistle team line ups, wrong goalscorers, wrong assists, wrong subs, unable to spell our managers name correctly, wrong stats, and us occasionally being at home in Motherwell. Apart from that they were great😀

Duke G.jpg

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Duke G.jpg

That’s going back a bit but that Duke Gekantawa was some player for us 😆👏

A quick look at the wonderful Thistle archive confirms it was Ricky Gillies that scored that one. Reminds me of a funny story, a few days after signing for us from St Mirren he mistakenly drove to Love St for training! Met him once, very nice guy. 

Unless it involves Thistle if i am watching highlights i always try and stay away from the score. So last night i stayed away from any mention of the France game. At the start of last night's highlights game on BBC 1 they showed all of the goals from the game before they showed the highlights. :doh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Unless it involves Thistle if i am watching highlights i always try and stay away from the score. So last night i stayed away from any mention of the France game. At the start of last night's highlights game on BBC 1 they showed all of the goals from the game before they showed the highlights. :doh:

I thought I dreamt that 😃

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

No it happened. They played the end at the start. :help:

AJ, our great minds think alike. Usually when coming into the room where the TV is to watch Match of the Day, Sportscene etc I tend to cut it a bit fine (making a coffee and/or raiding the biscuit tin!) and arrive 2 minutes late, so I miss the opening credits, team news etc and often sit down just as the game is starting. Unfortunately last night the BBC Weather programme was either late or extended, so I arrived in the middle of that and so of course saw the introductory Sportscene montage. I was assuming that they were showing goals from previous France and/or Scotland games, but could not recognise the Billy Gilmour goal or remember him even scoring at all. By the time my brain had understood what was happening it was too late, and what had been watched could not be unwatched!

Ironically my greatest ever triumph in avoiding the score was also a France v Scotland game. There was less social media and other stuff around then to trip you up, so I was able to celebrate James McFadden scoring his worldie 2 hours after the rest of Scotland. I still had to go through all the tension and ultimate relief of hoping that the team could hang on for the victory.

On 10/15/2023 at 11:07 AM, JAG1970 said:

That’s going back a bit but that Duke Gekantawa was some player for us 😆👏

A quick look at the wonderful Thistle archive confirms it was Ricky Gillies that scored that one. Reminds me of a funny story, a few days after signing for us from St Mirren he mistakenly drove to Love St for training! Met him once, very nice guy. 

Why thanks, much appreciated.

The Duke was actually Jukka Santala. You can see that they are phonetically fairly similar, as if the report was given over a rubbish telephone line

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

On 10/18/2023 at 9:37 PM, partickthedog said:

AJ, our great minds think alike. Usually when coming into the room where the TV is to watch Match of the Day, Sportscene etc I tend to cut it a bit fine (making a coffee and/or raiding the biscuit tin!) and arrive 2 minutes late, so I miss the opening credits, team news etc and often sit down just as the game is starting. Unfortunately last night the BBC Weather programme was either late or extended, so I arrived in the middle of that and so of course saw the introductory Sportscene montage. I was assuming that they were showing goals from previous France and/or Scotland games, but could not recognise the Billy Gilmour goal or remember him even scoring at all. By the time my brain had understood what was happening it was too late, and what had been watched could not be unwatched!

Ironically my greatest ever triumph in avoiding the score was also a France v Scotland game. There was less social media and other stuff around then to trip you up, so I was able to celebrate James McFadden scoring his worldie 2 hours after the rest of Scotland. I still had to go through all the tension and ultimate relief of hoping that the team could hang on for the victory.

Very similar to my tactics for watching highlights except my snack of choice is Pringles.

14 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Very similar to my tactics for watching highlights except my jersey of choice is Pringles.

Today, Pringle is recognised as a pioneer of British knitwear and a champion of British heritage and fashion talent. Our modern knitwear collections are a celebration of two-hundred years of knitting knowledge and expertise, combined with a progressive outlook on modern life and style. Especially fetching when worn with a balaclava.

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Today, Pringle is recognised as a pioneer of British knitwear and a champion of British heritage and fashion talent. Our modern knitwear collections are a celebration of two-hundred years of knitting knowledge and expertise, combined with a progressive outlook on modern life and style. Especially fetching when worn with a balaclava.

Fixed that for you.

I have my own exclusive knitwear. Eunice does a lot of knitting.

• 4 weeks later...