Blair Alston scores v Queen's Park 25.11.2023

Camallain

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I thought Alston had a pretty solid game on Saturday, and he looked like he could get even better.

And Stanway was very good; his best game yet, based on my live stream viewing, which is mostly restricted to matches at Firhill.

Ben Stanway has been generally good both home and away, and I remember him being particularly excellent in the away win at Morton.

11 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Ben Stanway has been generally good both home and away, and I remember him being particularly excellent in the away win at Morton.

I think the only poor game he has had was Arbroath at Firhill and Doolan took him out for a few games. On Saturday the game passed him by for the 1st 20 minutes or so, but he got better as the game went on.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I think the only poor game he has had was Arbroath at Firhill and Doolan took him out for a few games. On Saturday the game passed him by for the 1st 20 minutes or so, but he got better as the game went on.

Fair enough about the Arbroath game, though of course the more experienced players were hardly helping!

12 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Fair enough about the Arbroath game, though of course the more experienced players were hardly helping!

The thing with the Arbroath game for me was that Stanway wasn’t at it from the start and McKenzie lost it after his part in the 1st goal. After that, it was like playing with 9 men. Don’t get me wrong, you expect young players to have off days. Stanway has come back in and done well, so has McKenzie in his brief sub appearances.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The thing with the Arbroath game for me was that Stanway wasn’t at it from the start and McKenzie lost it after his part in the 1st goal. After that, it was like playing with 9 men. Don’t get me wrong, you expect young players to have off days. Stanway has come back in and done well, so has McKenzie in his brief sub appearances.

I'm sure you're not saying Stanway was the reason we lost heavily at home that day. Part responsible, undoubtedly, but along with a host of others.

Our main failing this season has been our lack of defensive dig in midfield. A problem the manager has accepted and was well aware existed. Sticking a central defender in centre midfield would only have created a problem further back. So the problem was there with or without Ben Stanway. If you recall for the next game Doolan dropped Ben, moved McInroy further back, replacing the latter in attacking midfield with Robinson. McInroy is certainly no Abdul Osman but probably the best equipped at breaking up play in midfield. 

Think the point I'm trying to make is that without that anchor in midfield individual midfielders (and defenders) are far more exposed. Having a poor game in midfield, as Stanway had, all the more punishing. Hopefully we'll get this sorted in January.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm sure you're not saying Stanway was the reason we lost heavily at home that day. Part responsible, undoubtedly, but along with a host of others.

Our main failing this season has been our lack of defensive dig in midfield. A problem the manager has accepted and was well aware existed. Sticking a central defender in centre midfield would only have created a problem further back. So the problem was there with or without Ben Stanway. If you recall for the next game Doolan dropped Ben, moved McInroy further back, replacing the latter in attacking midfield with Robinson. McInroy is certainly no Abdul Osman but probably the best equipped at breaking up play in midfield. 

Think the point I'm trying to make is that without that anchor in midfield individual midfielders (and defenders) are far more exposed. Having a poor game in midfield, as Stanway had, all the more punishing. Hopefully we'll get this sorted in January.

No - I wasn’t blaming him or Zander McKenzie. Really saying that with 2 players not contributing it meant the others were having to try and do extra and it didn’t work. 
If we manage to get the elusive defensive mid, who do you think will drop out ?

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

If we manage to get the elusive defensive mid, who do you think will drop out ?

If we assume this defensive mid is right sided, I suppose Stanway will find it harder to get a start.

Unless we've something permanent in store for him, Williamson is due to return to Rangers in January. And I wouldn't be surprised to see James Lyon go back out on loan. So competition for midfield places will possibly be no more competitive than just now.  

Btw I've feeling if we can't bring in a suitable defensive mid we'd sign a left sided centreback if available.  In turn Neilson would play in midfield.

Once Milne is fit and Williams continues to show he can do a job at right back then I would be tempted to try McMillan at CDM if we don't sign anyone in January.

There was a rumour on P&B that Williamson had agreed a PCA with us but I find that hard to believe given how little game time Doolan has given him so far. I still think Williamson could be a very good CDM but for whatever reason we don't want to play him there.