Taking on the WringRaiths

First game without Lawless will be interesting. I struggle to see how we can play our usual 4-2-3-1 which hasn't worked against Raith all season when we are missing one of the key players for that system.

Equally I think our recent better improvements in defence are in part due to Neilson's move into CDM. Unless O'Reilly or Williams are fit we don't really have enough central defenders to play a 3-5-2 and keep Neilson in midfield.

Personally I think the answer may to play a formation similar to the Scotland team which is kind of a 3-4-2-1 and we would have the following starting 11

Mitchell

McBeth-Muirhead-Ngwenya

McMillan-Neilson-McInroy-Milne

Robinson-Fitzpatrick

Graham

I think Milne is more of an attacking threat than Ngwenya so I would prefer to see Milne wide left

Does anyone here remember the last time we played at Starks Park on Grand National Day?

Scenario.-  Season 2004/05. Raith already relegated having previously accumulated only 13pts beat us 1-2, effectively relegating us as well.

One person on here (let's call the poster, me) on leaving the ground spots three unselected regular team members sauntering back into Starks having forsaken our match for the lure of Aintree. This poster who lived a relatively short journey from Kirkcaldy and still irate at the result (and no doubt the world in general) too promptly posted observations on the then current Jags forum. Didn't foresee that some web lurcher from the Daily Record would pick up on this. By Monday said paper would deem such an incident worthy of headlining import. 

Looking forward to tomorrow's game in full knowledge that whatever the result I won't be on anything like the downer I was on 19 year ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Does anyone here remember the last time we played at Starks Park on Grand National Day?

Scenario.-  Season 2004/05. Raith already relegated having previously accumulated only 13pts beat us 1-2, effectively relegating us as well.

One person on here (let's call the poster, me) on leaving the ground spots three unselected regular team members sauntering back into Starks having forsaken our match for the lure of Aintree. This poster who lived a relatively short journey from Kirkcaldy and still irate at the result (and no doubt the world in general) too promptly posted observations on the then current Jags forum. Didn't foresee that some web lurcher from the Daily Record would pick up on this. By Monday said paper would deem such an incident worthy of headlining import. 

Looking forward to tomorrow's game in full knowledge that whatever the result I won't be on anything like the downer I was on 19 year ago.

To be fair, it would be somewhat difficult not to spot Stevie Fulton. 

The third member of the trio redeemed himself with the promotion clinching goal at Falkirk in 2013 (Chris Erskine's memorable sequel was merely the icing on the cake).

55 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I think Dools will play the normal formation with Stanway in and Robinson or more likely McInroy on the right

I would quite like a combination of your personnel with Laukat's formation, ie

Mitchell

McBeth   Neilson   Muirhead

McMillan   McInroy   Stanway   Milne

Robinson   Fitzpatrick

Graham

Only drawback is absence of Neilson may leave centre midfield a little lightweight.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

I would quite like a combination of your personnel with Laukat's formation, ie

Mitchell

McBeth   Neilson   Muirhead

McMillan   McInroy   Stanway   Milne

Robinson   Fitzpatrick

Graham

Only drawback is absence of Neilson may leave centre midfield a little lightweight.

The back 3 doesn’t work when all 3 defenders are right sided. Muirhead on the left of a back 3 is a no from me. 
Same formation as normal with Fitz on right and Xander on the left 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The back 3 doesn’t work when all 3 defenders are right sided. Muirhead on the left of a back 3 is a no from me. 
Same formation as normal with Fitz on right and Xander on the left 

Apologies. Got my lefts and rights mixed up. I meant to put Aero on the right, especially as he has some experience of being right back and might even get the chance to do some long throws. I had not realised that all 3 of my centre backs are right-footed. I appreciate that could make the back line somewhat unbalanced.

9 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I think that technically he was the second player involved. The third was Andy Dowie who was judged rather less harshly as he was younger and less experienced at the time.

I remembered Fulton & Dowie, and as LIB mentioned he somewhat redeemed himself a few years later. I just wasn’t sure of the 3rd player. I wasn’t ranking them

Edited by jaggy

Well Dundee Utd have beaten Morton and now have a clear lead at the top of the championship.

Although arithmetically Morton can still reach 4th place I think this defeat effectively confirms their place in next seasons championship.

Regarding the Rsith game I can't recall the Jags ever winning at Starks Park. However regardless of the team formation I  have a feeling we will win tomorrow.  Thr least I expect is a draw.

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Not quite. We need to get 2 points more than Dunfermline to be secured. If we draw and they lose, they can still draw level on points 

Technically yes. But a 14 goal difference is a lot to overturn in just 6 games.

Edited by allyo

6 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Well Dundee Utd have beaten Morton and now have a clear lead at the top of the championship.

Although arithmetically Morton can still reach 4th place I think this defeat effectively confirms their place in next seasons championship.

Regarding the Rsith game I can't recall the Jags ever winning at Starks Park. However regardless of the team formation I  have a feeling we will win tomorrow.  Thr least I expect is a draw.

I do recall a win there back in the 80’s. Mojo scored only to have it chalked off to award us a penalty !

44 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

I think I want Dunfermline to win today, will give us a better shot at 3rd. Also good to have Airdrie lose momentum. Although as long as we pick up the points, doesn’t really matter.

Agreed.

If nothing more that to wipe the grin of the face of an Airdrie supporter I bump into on a fairly regular basis.

Throughout the season he thought Airdrie would at best be a mid-table team but this good run they are on has catapulted them into a play-off place and he has now become almost unbearable.

A win for Dunfermline today and for us next week would bring Airdrie and their supporters down to earth. Fingers crossed.