When's The Draw?

Firhillista

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all over the moon at finally managing to beat a part-time team, which we did thanks to a couple of breaks. We might laugh at the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen at the moment, but I'm afraid that any SPL team would beat the current Thistle team without too much difficulty.

Now here's hoping that I can come back and apologize for the above statement at some point.

Exactly, you need to be a good, attacking first division side to have a chance of beating a poorer/off-form SPL side. I'd expect us to be comfortably beaten home or away by any SPL side other than Hamilton or St Mirren and, even then, we'd probably lose. The amount we'd make from a home tie with anyone other than the old firm isn't all that much. It's either make it through the next round, or play at Ibrox or Parkhead for me.

Exactly, you need to be a good, attacking first division side to have a chance of beating a poorer/off-form SPL side. I'd expect us to be comfortably beaten home or away by any SPL side other than Hamilton or St Mirren and, even then, we'd probably lose. The amount we'd make from a home tie with anyone other than the old firm isn't all that much. It's either make it through the next round, or play at Ibrox or Parkhead for me.

Agree entirely. Last season we were maybe unlucky to be beaten by Dundee Utd but at the same time we didn't score so really we had little to complain about. This season we're not even up to that level. Imo we've only two players (Donnelly & Erskine) who just now could feasibly cause the average SPL side problems plus maybe at a push a third in Flannigan. All the rest can only provide damage limitation. I don't mean to flatter those three players mentioned just they're the only ones I can think of who can hold on to the ball or beat a player.

With that in mind I'd rather we progressed against teams inferior to us (there's still a few out there) and hope we can get the other match winner (Buchanan) back in form for the next round.

Hopefully not a "no money and out" type of tie - eg Dunfermline, Hamilton, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone or ICT away (lets be honest a crowd of about 4,000 and a defeat would be most probable).

Which leaves the option of a televised home game against either one of the sectarian Glasgow clubs (or an away game against either of them where about 20,000 -25,000 will turn up) purely for the financial gain and inevitable defeat.

The alternatives of a home or an away game against the likes of Berwick, Elgin, Peterhead, Stranraer, Montrose, East Stirlingshire, Brechin/Annan, S'hmuir/Threave, or Airdrie United/Beith Juniors whilst win-able (but also very loseable) might be OK if we want to squeeze into the next round.

I suspect we will get East Fife at Methil.

Rangers will get a home game against Alloa and Celtic will draw Queen of the South away. Aberdeen will get Ross County at Dingwall and lose, and Dundee will get a home tie against Dundee United for financial reasons - it will be a draw (again for financial reasons) and Dundee United will win the replay on penalties.