Worrying Crowd Again

Lindau

Some people really are living in a bubble. No one wants to freeze their bollocks off and pay over the odds for a sub standard product. That was my first home game in 2 months due to work, and nothing jumped out at me to make me come back in a hurry.

Times are changing, people would rather sit in a nice cozy pub with a coupon on and a few pints.

Edited by MWM

Some people really are living in a bubble. No one wants to freeze their bollocks off and pay over the odds for a sub standard product. That was my first home game in 2 months due to work, and nothing jumped out at me to make me come back in a hurry.

Times are changing, people would rather sit in a nice cozy pub with a coupon on and a few pints.

I am not having a go at anybody, but if the highlighted attitude continues to prevail then people will have a lot longer to sit in pubs and line the pockets of landlords who might be able to fill you full of alcohol until your liver begs for mercy but cannot give you the simple pleasure that a Jags victory delivers as there will not be a club to support!

I am not having a go at anybody, but if the highlighted attitude continues to prevail then people will have a lot longer to sit in pubs and line the pockets of landlords who might be able to fill you full of alcohol until your liver begs for mercy but cannot give you the simple pleasure that a Jags victory delivers as there will not be a club to support!

At the end of the day, and as much as I love Partick Thistle, I owe them nothing, they are in the entertainment business after all. Crowds are down across the board, 2000 at table topping Dunfermline the other week, 2.5k at St. Mirren, and on a holiday weekend barely 40k at Celtic Park while they push for the league, Scottish Football is just overpriced rot run by dinosaurs.

Edited by MWM

It's a disappointing turnout, but I don't think we should read TOO much into it. A lot of our student crowd will be away from Glasgow just now, along with others who will be visiting friends and family at Christmas.

I met a guy at the game today that I went to school with 13 years ago - he stays in London and was back home for Christmas. Others will be in a similar position, away from Glasgow.

While I don't personally think it an excuse, the weather is also pretty unlikely to make people decide to go to the game if they are in any doubt. I was surprised just how poor the streets were around the stadium and wouldn't have been surprised if the game was posponed for that reason.

I agree with your general gist but I'm sorry but the highlighted bit is sheer crap. Pubs are shutting all over the place. Premises that once could afford live football packages have chucked the notion due to loss of customer. Put simply pubs were busier in the days when we regularly attracted decent crowds.

If pushed I'd say Scottish football is in a healthier state than the Scottish licensed trade.

I agree with your general gist but I'm sorry but the highlighted bit is sheer crap. Pubs are shutting all over the place. Premises that once could afford live football packages have chucked the notion due to loss of customer. Put simply pubs were busier in the days when we regularly attracted decent crowds.

If pushed I'd say Scottish football is in a healthier state than the Scottish licensed trade.

Maybe where you live mate, but where I stay, and work, the local pubs are as busy as ever on a Saturday afternoon, particularly with people who can't be arsed going to football anymore.

Maybe where you live mate, but where I stay, and work, the local pubs are as busy as ever on a Saturday afternoon, particularly with people who can't be arsed going to football anymore.

I wasn't referring to where I stay. I'm talking about pubs up and down the country laying off staff, cutting back on services (eg Sky TV), both turnover and barrellage considerably down on a year on year basis. To suggest pubs are in some way thriving due to disaffected football fans is arrant nonsense.

I wasn't referring to where I stay. I'm talking about pubs up and down the country laying off staff, cutting back on services (eg Sky TV), both turnover and barrellage considerably down on a year on year basis. To suggest pubs are in some way thriving due to disaffected football fans is arrant nonsense.

I made a bit of an effort to go along today, it's effectively still Xmas in the house, glass pavements, coldest winter in 100 years, fuel prices soaring etc. Last season I might have thought, ah...wait till January....but right now it feels like hour of need and show yer face time, buy a calendar, 50/50, so on. Like Save The Jags II.

I hope that there are lots more who are ready to come back who've not just finally chucked it, but the trends are down, year after year, season after season.....

I do remember seeing sub 2k crowds in the 80s.....do I?

Reading that 50k sponsorship pledge in the programme , half way to the 100k, is my best Xmas 2010 present.

So whats the plan then?

Force people to watch a football team? Theres plenty of alternatives and competition for peoples money these days, going to a pub is just one of them.

If we accept the problems lie more at the door of the SFL/SPL/SFA than at David Beattie's there's only so much PTFC can do to attract fans. I'd love to believe that something like ditching the 3-5-2 at home for a more attacking line up would get the fans flocking back but it would make if any only marginal difference.

Trouble is the only plan in town is McLeish's or what half the SPL propose, which is basically the same thing. I can't, and I've not heard any others disagree, how the changes proposed will have a positive effect on the gates.

I'd have thought a Boxing Day crowd would have been a lot healthier but in the absence of a proper derby game it obviously has little appeal. Same will go for games at New Year. That maybe gives ammo to those in favour of summer football (Mar-Nov) but I suggest there's even more alternatives to watching football in the summer months.

It wouldn't be by any means a cure but larger leagues with teams playing each other fewer times would be a step in the right direction. Playing in a league of 16 could mean that with six less league games postponed games could be easily rescheduled for either the odd spare Saturday or midweek in Spring. To make up the number of games revert to league sections in the League Cup (again midweek games would be played in late summer early autumn).

Couldn't agree more with the general sentiments, quite simply people have more to spend their money on. If all I wanted to do was freeze my b******lcks off , I'd sit on a park bench for ninety minutes.

Seriously, though I think without radical change football in this country as we knew it is finished!

Without wanting to start one of those stupid 'Im a better fan than you' discussions, can I ask what you think of the 1500 fans who regularly do just that? Are they all living in a bubble?

You speak of the atmosphere being a bit better yesterday than it has been for most of the season, and you're right, but why do you think that might have been? Maybe because there where some familiar faces returning to the Shed who have been notable absentee's over the past few months, and they include most of the singers from the Shed. Our crowd always try to get a sing song going but when it's three voices fartin in the wind (due to the missing 8/10 guys mentioned earlier) it's a very hard thing to do...feck the pub,keep coming and helping to generate some sort of vocal support...it's only an hour and a half of torture :D

Some fans just have excuse after excuse not to go.

1. Not going back until Campbell goes, oh wait...

2. Not going back until Cowan/Hughes/Prentice go, hmm...

3. It's too cold.

4. I don't like McCall, rather be in the pub.

5. Not paying £17 to watch that, we actually had some good initiatives going before Christmas that got you in for around £12 a game. It now works out at £14 a game for 3 or 5 game packages, valid for all home league games. Available from the office or from Louise & I in the Aitken Suite at the next home game.

Excuses are endless, if you really want to watch Thistle you will. Football isn't about 'value for money', never will be, not whilst you try to be competitive.

That isn't a dig at anyone in this thread, haven't read all the posts, but all the excuses are boring & if you really want to see the club be here in the future, something has to change.

If money is too tight to pay £17, there's the Centenary Fund, £5 a month/£10 a month, every little helps.

Some fans just have excuse after excuse not to go.

1. Not going back until Campbell goes, oh wait...

2. Not going back until Cowan/Hughes/Prentice go, hmm...

3. It's too cold.

4. I don't like McCall, rather be in the pub.

5. Not paying £17 to watch that, we actually had some good initiatives going before Christmas that got you in for around £12 a game. It now works out at £14 a game for 3 or 5 game packages, valid for all home league games. Available from the office or from Louise & I in the Aitken Suite at the next home game.

Excuses are endless, if you really want to watch Thistle you will. Football isn't about 'value for money', never will be, not whilst you try to be competitive.

That isn't a dig at anyone in this thread, haven't read all the posts, but all the excuses are boring & if you really want to see the club be here in the future, something has to change.

If money is too tight to pay £17, there's the Centenary Fund, £5 a month/£10 a month, every little helps.

:thumbsup2: My sentiments too. I go for a drink after every game and I get the usual "You're keen", "You must be off yer heid" etc but that's from non football fans. I'm sure we all get that in some way or other. Different thing entirely when so called Jags fans come on here (again not aimed at anyone in this thread) and more or less tell you you're daft going to Firhill.

My brother was up from London and took in the game, (he was a season ticket holder until he moved.)

Not having much opportunity to see the Jags, he was shocked at the decline in standard even over the last couple of years.

I reckon that's why crowds are down, the first time anyone got out of their seat was when the Raith player pulled Rowson back in about the 80th minute.