Who's Next?

Steven H

Cannot, simply cannot believe that Maitland, Hughes and Duffy are on the wanted list.

- Maitland has presided over the steady decline of Alloa from Division 2 promotion hopefuls to relegation candidates.

- Hughes is a moronic bell-end, whose mastery of the English language falls beneath that of most on here. Also, hasn't got a clue how to change a game, use the players he has, use the media etc. I would gladly swim across the channel to prevent him becoming manager. He is so typical of the type of manager that keeps scottish football back in the stone age.

- Jim Duffy has relegation written all over him. The mini-revival at Clyde means nothing unless he can really improve them next season. Anyone under the sun could have improved that Clyde team.

Some other names:

- Calderwood: Another "scoatish fitba" man. Big centre-halves and long punts. No thanks.

- Jimmy Nicholl: See above. (Also seems to get on with Donald Findlay)

- McGhee: A clown and too expensive.

I just pray that things will go well with Jackie McNamara, as the alternatives look awful. It will be interesting to see how he performs, specifically as hiring young managers seems to be the fashionable thing now. My only fear is that it fails so often e.g. Pressley at Falkirk, O'Neil at Stirling Albion. Hopefully he can be more like Eddie Howe at Bournemouth for example, showing a freshness in the team and some new ideas, not just the same tinkering between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 as seemed to be the only meangingful change we could make under McCall. On McCall himself, thanks for 4 reasonable years and some good memories.

The oracle has spoken - almost. It just left out the possibility of Gardner Speirs, also mentioned earlier on by Alan Murray and Gordie: as the latter said, there was a decline in form after GS left.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of nonsense as usual from the Uriah Heeps on this board who seem to exult in the fact that the club have little cash and because of the craven ineptitude of a previous/current board a growing debt problem.

There are perhaps 15/16 serious full time managerial jobs in Scotland. There are a number of managers out there (with various pedigrees) who are currently out of work. Far more in number if we extend the job search to England. Could the happy brigade please explain why someone out of a job would seriously turn down ANY legitimate position which would get him back into media attention. All these guys have egos and all think that they will succeed and whilst most will think that they can use us as a stepping stone they will seriously consider any offer of employment. Sorry, but even with our idiots we have a lot to offer prospective employees and our lack of funds won`t even really be an issue.

Anyone who seriously thinks that Nichol would turn us down to stay at Cowdenbeath is a moron.

Fair points.

I would say that even with the salary we're likely to be paying we can still attract a manager of reasonable pedigree/experience. That's more down to our location than anything else.

I happen to believe that Jim Duffy would make an excellent Jags coach but have grave doubts about his managerial qualities. Only reason I mention that is it would open the way for us to appoint a good senior organisational manager. Not Alex Smith, of course, but someone like him that's been about for many a year

What I fear is we'll appoint someone with maybe a decent enough results history at our level (eg Hughes) but is an organisational nightmare (eg Hughes).

Can't understand the fans who wouldn't take McPherson-the same McPherson who got St Mirren up, kept them up, then got them to a cup final last year. I would take him in a minute. Don't think we could afford him though.

Can see McNamara getting it if he wants it. If not, Cammy done well with U-19's last season, again, cheap option on a rookie, but a former jags hero and crackin player for us, think he's worth a mention.

John Hughes - too expensive. Don't know if we could afford to pay compo, doubt it, so it won't be someone who's with a club presently. Sheerin's done well at Arbroath, knows this level well, would be interested in interviewing him if i were on the board.

Can't understand the fans who wouldn't take McPherson-the same McPherson who got St Mirren up, kept them up, then got them to a cup final last year. I would take him in a minute. Don't think we could afford him though.

Can see McNamara getting it if he wants it. If not, Cammy done well with U-19's last season, again, cheap option on a rookie, but a former jags hero and crackin player for us, think he's worth a mention.

John Hughes - too expensive. Don't know if we could afford to pay compo, doubt it, so it won't be someone who's with a club presently. Sheerin's done well at Arbroath, knows this level well, would be interested in interviewing him if i were on the board.

Jackie gets 5 wins from last 5 games and the gig is his. Mind you, 5 defeats and it's back to the drawing board.

I was surprised that Ian Cameron hasn't been mentioned. As far as 'rookies' go, he's certainly got experience. I wouldn't be gutted with a management team including him and Jaggy. Their downfall could unfortunately be that we have quite a long injury list just now so they'll not be able to field anything near our strongest team in any of our remaining games.

sorry to see him go after his first season, the first i enjoyed after Lambino left, a falkirk fan I know said he would do a judas on us but hey thanks for the memories and good luck to you. I hope McNamara's first decision is to drop himself building a team round him has failed miserably, wouldn't want him and Donnelly involed at any level - bring back the King Of Spain?

Edited by Hanx78

yeah absolutely gutted super dan is at st mirren would love him to be our manager. Again, doubt he'd leave his current position or indeed be interested, but big Stevie Craigan will make a good manager one day I'm sure.

Tell you what, Craigan might not be a bad shout. He's out of contract at the end of the season and he may fancy a crack at management. I know he's taken training sessions at Motherwell so he at least has a little bit of experience.

I think if he has got over his time with us as a player, Kenny Brannigan will apply and I'd certainly be interested in hearing what he has to say. He's done an admirable job at Queens with very little support. Wouldn't be my first choice but there are far worse options and I would certainly prefer him to, say, Jim Duffy or some other eternal failure.

Fair enough if Stevie Frail isn't interested in moving, reckon he'd be a decent choice though. Maybe he'd cost too much anyway. Billy Stark would be ideal but doubt he'd leave the Scotland U21 post.

If we advertise the position, who knows who will put their name forward. Whether it's misplaced or not, I have more faith in David Beattie appointing a decent manager than the previous buffoons.

Edited by Armand2

yeah absolutely gutted super dan is at st mirren would love him to be our manager. Again, doubt he'd leave his current position or indeed be interested, but big Stevie Craigan will make a good manager one day I'm sure.

i wouldnt mind giving Craigan a chance as player manager with Jackie Mac as his back up

• Members

If we advertise the position, who knows who will put their name forward. Whether it's misplaced or not, I have more faith in David Beattie appointing a decent manager than the previous buffoons.

The problem is, these "buffoons" are still in the background pulling the strings whether DB realises it or not is an entirely different matter.

That would be the same Gus who whilst at st mirren, didn't know the name of one youth player, didn't attend any youth games, didn't speak to any staff at the club, locked himself in his office, bullied and ran the team on fear.

And whilst manager of a team in a league cup final, facing a team of 9 men, didn't think, pass them into tiredness, attack them in the spaces?

No the tactical genius sat and defended and had his team punt the ball to 9 man rangers centre halfs until the obvious happened!

Possibly only beaten into 2nd place by elvis as an absolute fckin cretin of a manager.