Optimistic?

harryragbags

I know its not worth it, but I've been feeling scarily optimistic for this season. Seeing us play against Celtic, we were much more threatening up front and defensively solid. We've managed to keep the core of the team together and not lost any key players, while a lot of other teams have lost players and replaced them with less than average players.

Having a look on other forums, everyone only sees Hamilton and Dundee as a threat this season, i do think we will be a threat & no one is expecting it as we've not had any big signings.

I'm looking forward to this season but where do you see us finishing really?

I know its not worth it, but I've been feeling scarily optimistic for this season. Seeing us play against Celtic, we were much more threatening up front and defensively solid. We've managed to keep the core of the team together and not lost any key players, while a lot of other teams have lost players and replaced them with less than average players.

Having a look on other forums, everyone only sees Hamilton and Dundee as a threat this season, i do think we will be a threat & no one is expecting it as we've not had any big signings.

I'm looking forward to this season but where do you see us finishing really?

After reading about Saturdays game, here and in the daily rags, the outlook maybe good......I do think we have a good quality squad for this division, whether it will happen this season, who knows, if we kept the same squad with a couple of more signings, next season might be ours,as for now, been here many times before, too many!!,and yes it does look good, but i will reserve judgement till about November

I've been quite optimistic about the coming season all summer. As said above we seem to have only strengthened the squad. The loss of Boyle was going to be a worry but so far Sinclair is looking good. The loss of Robbo means we've lost some depth at the back, but the starting XI isn't affected. I'm quite happy in midfield having replaced Hodge with Bannigan effectively and Cairney starting to look like he cares again. I've said this a lot but I really like the look of Stewart up front and think he and Doolan could bag quite a few goals between them.

I don't know much about the other squads but based on how happy clappy the above paragraph sounds I think we have a real chance. Cue an 8th place finish :angry:

I've been quite optimistic about the coming season all summer. As said above we seem to have only strengthened the squad. The loss of Boyle was going to be a worry but so far Sinclair is looking good. The loss of Robbo means we've lost some depth at the back, but the starting XI isn't affected. I'm quite happy in midfield having replaced Hodge with Bannigan effectively and Cairney starting to look like he cares again. I've said this a lot but I really like the look of Stewart up front and think he and Doolan could bag quite a few goals between them.

I don't know much about the other squads but based on how happy clappy the above paragraph sounds I think we have a real chance. Cue an 8th place finish :angry:

Quietly optimistic (ie, less pessimistic) because I think this is the season when other clubs catch us up and learn the realities of megre budgets and squads. A promising bunch of youngsters coming through can only bode well for the future. Having said all that, I think some folk are getting a bit too carried away about Saturday. It was, after all, largely a team of fringe and reserve players - good though it was to beat them. Why break the habit of a lifetime? I'll still read the league table from the bottom up!

Like a lot quietly optimistic but maybe looking at things from a slightly different perspective. In previous seasons we've bolstered our squad with horses for courses signings like Hamilton, Keegan, Corrigan etc and with loan players like Lennon, Connor, Adams & Gray. Fine if we knock it off but a fairly empty feeling when we end up having an average mid table like season.

The difference this season is it's our young players that will have the largest say in where we finish and not jobbing professionals or on loan hopefuls. Even if it doesn't come off I feel we'll still have the satisfaction of seeing our youngsters either break into the first team or, in the case of those already there, see them improve. I'm thus very hopeful that without any personnel changes our current squad will be considerably stronger by the end of the season. It's a long time since I felt that way.

My gut feeling is we won't have enough necessary experience throughout the squad to win the league but we'll be entertaining and capable of convincingly beating most teams throughout the season.

There's two key players in my mind that look as if they just might be able to turn our side into serious title contenders and they're Stewart and Bannigan. If those two were to regularly play above reasonable expectations then I'd be really optimistic about our chances.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

As someone else mentioned earlier in another thread, there are more than a few similarities about the situation now and when we embarked on the old 2nd division campaign in 1970-71. If we get off to a decent start over the first few weeks, I think that increasing confidence will bring out the best in the youngsters.

As of yet Dundee have not strengthened as much as I thought they would. They look strong in defence and midfield but question marks over their strikers.

Hamilton look good but again upfront they need to strengthen. I rate Billy Reid as the best manager in the league and if he stays at Hamilton then they will go up over the next few years. I also rate Alex Neil very highly, if they get him fit.

We have got good competition for places and that this will bring out the best in our players. I think we will start well but not sure how we will do when the heavy parks come in. I see us in the top 3.

A First Division preview would be handy if published in a paper soon. Have Dundee been throwing silly amounts of money about as before? How strong are Hamilton as a team? What about Falkirk?

There's a transfer thread on here but it would take you a good while to digest.

Not so sure Dundee have been at the silly games just yet but with their slate wiped clean once again and a relatively large home support there's little holding them back from assembling a strong squad. No doubt they'll bring in a few well paid loan players in due course (work the system to the max).

Falkirk have shed a few players and it's difficult to see them as title contenders especially with that galoot of a manager.

Hamilton look a bit weak up front. An Accies mate suggests they're not as a club 100% committed to promotion but I'd be surprised if they're not in the frame.

Two clubs that appear stronger this season are Ross Co & Morton, while Raith & Q o S are most definitely weaker. Despite that the latter two have both got good managers and are probably well prepared for a bottom of the table fight.

Haven't a scooby about Livinghell but I suppose if they won the 2nd Div at a canter they won't be obvious relegation candidates. Ayr will no doubt be pleased with an 8th spot finish and I assume most folk would see them as the team least likely to succeed.

Altho' I'm genuinely optimistic about this season I am by nature a bit of a pessimist. I don't think I'd be alone in thinking that our biggest fear is our squad isn't exactly full of win at any cost scrappers and a combination of that, injuries to senior players and inexperienced management could bite us hard. I really can't see it come to that but as I say I do have that pessimistic side to me.

Be interested to hear others assessments of our opposition. Just a general viewpoint tho' rather than anything too forensic.

Dundee with no debt have the best chance to assemble a title winning squad and unless they make a hellish start will have the clout to spend in January to win the league. Not fair, but that is where we are. Hamilton won't be far away and I see us in the next group, with Ross, Morton, Livingston and Raith. Falkirk could do just about anything and once Elvis is sacked will probably recover to midtable. I can't see anything other than QotS and Ayr for the bottom two.

My prediction is a comfortable Jags 4th place

14/1 winners only market at McBookie. I'm on that.

I think a good start will see us win the league and I'm astounded at how few fans of other teams seem to think we will even be there or there about on P&B.

We've largely been forgotten about due to our lack of transfer activity in comparison with others it seems. People seem to see Ross County signing players who on paper should be good at this level and assume that makes them one of the favourites to do well rather than considering that for the likes of ourselves having a settled team who already know each other is a huge benefit.

Although if you read the predictions threads on P&B it seems in the last week or so we've disappeared from most relegation/playoff predictions and found our way into the top 3 or 4 for most people, including that Ross County fan who has done the in-depth preview linked above

Our fortunes next season will depend on keeping the key seniors fit as the back-up is inexperienced and largely unproven. The pitch needs to stay in better condition. A poor pitch will help lesser teams take points off us at home.

Current squads indicate that Falkirk, Queens and Rovers should be weaker than last season. At the top, the main challengers to Dundee should be Accies, County and ourselves. The joker in the pack will be Livingston.

Won`t be much of a surprise but I think anyone who is optimistic about winning a league with our present forward line isn`t so much optimistic as delusional.

In Stewart & Doolan I'm confident we have 1 of the best partnerships in the division. Stewart impressed at the end of last season & his performance against Celtic continued that, also has a good eye for goal.

We don't have the budget to sign another striker, & with Grehan & Fraser as back-up, I think we're pretty well covered. I would loan Burns out, he doesn't seem as good (& looks quite lightweight) compared to before he got injured. Fraser looks increasingly good & Grehan had a good end to the season, without scoring much.

In Stewart & Doolan I'm confident we have 1 of the best partnerships in the division. Stewart impressed at the end of last season & his performance against Celtic continued that, also has a good eye for goal.

We don't have the budget to sign another striker, & with Grehan & Fraser as back-up, I think we're pretty well covered. I would loan Burns out, he doesn't seem as good (& looks quite lightweight) compared to before he got injured. Fraser looks increasingly good & Grehan had a good end to the season, without scoring much.

No one would say we're remotely favourites, but we have a decent squad with some promising youngsters. A lot depends on how good other teams are as I don't think there's a standout team amongst them - though for obvious reasons the likes of Dundee, Hamilton and maybe Livvy will be expected to be challenging for promotion.

One advantage we have is that unlike a lot of other clubs we start with a fairly settled squad although we had to make a few signings to cover two defenders leaving us. Stewart is in effect a new signing with the advantage that he's had plenty of time to fit into the team. A lot will depend on how well the youngsters progress and how consistent they (or most of them) can be over the season.

Edited by Mr Bunny

But should we not have a wee boost following saturdays game - I guess the directos will know whether that is the case or not?

I thought Grehan was injured the last couple of games of the season :thinking: His year and a half at the Jags has really been distinctly average if we were to be honest, has had a few good goals certainly but had a few howlers as well. Its not really as though he is young and inexperienced like Fraser etc

Agree with regards to Stewart potentially he could be a great signing and was good on saturday a vast improvement on his performance against Motherwell .

Edited by Third Lanark

The short answer is yes!

Goalkeeper - starting with much better keeper than we did last season when we threw away so many points in first quarter.

Defence - essentially the same as last season (which performed well after Fox came in to team) and Sinclair could actually be improvememt on Boyle as he has more height and pace.

Midfield - essentially the same as last season but with Bannigan likely to replace Hodge should be more positive (plus the style Jackie wants to play should be more attractive) plus there are signs that Cairney is returning to something like first season's form.

Forwards - with Jackie opting for a more attacking line up and Doolan getting more starts than he did last season when we stuck with an out of form Buchanan for too long plus a fully fit Stewart then there is definitely the potential for more goals.

If we all pull together this season then who knows what might happen?