Friday Night Football

grangemouth jag

According to big Ramon on Scotland Today looks like there will be some Friday night games in SFL this season.

Personally I am all for it, as it gives you the rest of the weekend to do what ye want, but obvious drawbacks would be away games to Ross Co and QOTS.

Feelings on the subject

Not sure if it would mean any increase in gates, in fact probably mean a decrease due to fewer away fans, but personally a Friday night would be better than a Saturday for me so I am for it

Anything that is a change to what we have now in Scotland could be seen as fresh and exciting. Therefore you may see an increase in gates. A home game then a night out straight after sounds no bad.

Edited by cjptfc

Haven't given it much thought but I'm not sure some folk that have forked out for a season ticket will be too keen on the idea. That said if it was just the one home game I can't imagine anybody would get too upset.

I would be concerned about us getting a decent crowd on a Friday night especially if we were midtable and/or the weather was poor.

Definitely. Games under the lights are always better for atmosphere. Plus, people will go for a few pints and make a friday night out out of the football. I live in Edinburgh and would be way more tempted to come through for a game if it had the prospect of a celebratory night out or a consoling pint afterwards. Definitely a good idea and I'm sure it'll add 10-20% on crowds, in the cities at least. If we had a derby with Clyde, it'd actually probably feel like a decent occasion if it was on a friday at 7:30pm.

Friday nights not for me!

I think it would harm crowds, well unless they allow you to buy a beer like the rugby boys get on a Friday night!

Still prefer a Saturday and would be miffed to miss an away game if I don't have the time to get there. It's ok trying to get time off for some away games, but regular Friday nights, no thanks!

According to big Ramon on Scotland Today looks like there will be some Friday night games in SFL this season.

Personally I am all for it, as it gives you the rest of the weekend to do what ye want, but obvious drawbacks would be away games to Ross Co and QOTS.

Feelings on the subject

Personally an away game at Ross Co or QOTS could be do-able for me as i finish at 2:00 on a Friday. Not really up for friday night footy but if we were playing i'd be doing my utmost to get there.

As an afterthought i would reckon if we were picked for a friday night game it would deffo be an away fixture, do the warriors not play their home games on friday nights and the fixtures have been worked so that us and warriors are not at home on the same weekend

Edited by Jaggyman

Friday nights not for me!

I think it would harm crowds, well unless they allow you to buy a beer like the rugby boys get on a Friday night!

Still prefer a Saturday and would be miffed to miss an away game if I don't have the time to get there. It's ok trying to get time off for some away games, but regular Friday nights, no thanks!

And that's not likely to happen any time soon.

It's a no from me. I don't see how it would boost crowds, as people would still have been working that day. Plus, you'd have to contend with areseholes falling out of the pubs on the way home, etc.

One or two games with some promotion to make it an occassion I say why not? Although there is a fixture super computer I really do think they should make some events as special days like Glasgow playing Edinburgh over Christmas and New Year at rugby. They should cut down on travelling for midweek and say a potential Friday game by have fixtures against teams close to each other.

Why not? Can it really get any worse?

Yes, very easily.

The idea seems predicated on the idea that you'll get your normal crowd with the potential for it to be increased by the interest of other people who would not otherwise get there on a Saturday.

Personally, I can't see that stacking up - I think you'll lose many, many more than you'd gain.

Edited by Allan Heron

Haven't given it much thought but I'm not sure some folk that have forked out for a season ticket will be too keen on the idea. That said if it was just the one home game I can't imagine anybody would get too upset.

I would be concerned about us getting a decent crowd on a Friday night especially if we were midtable and/or the weather was poor.

That's a fair point - might be considered that I bought my season ticket on the basis of the fixtures announced. There's a few home games I'm already going to miss which makes the season ticket relatively bad value but I'm content to live with that.

If there were a surfeit of Friday night fixtures I'd probably miss most of them on the basis that I'm usually knackered on a Friday evening. It would be too much effort to think about going, never mind actually making the effort to turn up.