Jobsworth Stewards

northernsoul

Section 2 in the Jackie Husband Stand about ten minutes into the second half and some steward steps up to a fan and claims he is not allowed to film any footage of a Thistle corner.

Now I don't know if the fan was taking a picture or recording a video of a Thistle corner but why the hell does this steward feel the need to but in and make some ridiculous claim that the Jags fan can't record any footage?

It was beyond ridiculous to point where you just had to laugh.

Scottish football in the 21st Century - kill joy stewards trying their best to ruin it for everyone when they have **** all else to do for the 90 minutes.

This isn't a joke, this actually happened. I don't know if the Jag himself posts on this forum or not but I was right behind it and a good few of us put the steward in his place.

You'd think this thing is worth complaining about to the Club but it's just so ridiculous and random that it's not worth it.

Maybe this wasn't worth posting but this was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen at Firhill.

Edited by admin1

I agree that it's over the top that someone can't film a part of the game on their phone etc. I take it the steward has been told by his superiors that this is not allowed, and I agree with you, it's a silly rule.

But to call the guy a loser and a nobody is a bit much.

Edited by cjptfc

Look at the conditions of entry. They're on the back of PATG tickets and IIRC are laminated and beside the turnstiles entrance. As an average joe spectator you're not allowed to photograph or film in part or in whole the match. It's the same all over the UK. Those with passes are allowed to take footage but, IIRC, the SFL retains certain elements of copyright for filming.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I didn't know about these rules myself.

I know the Stewards are only doing their job but it was the manner in which it happened which was frustrating to see. At the time it just seemed like another Steward making something out of nothing scenario.

From a personal point of view, it just seems like another incident which highlights the whole match day atmosphere at Firhill and Scottish football these days.

John McGlynn the Raith Rovers Manager sat next to me twice last season. He stood up and took photos (might even have been video) of every Thistle corner taken and defended and every free kick around the box taken and defended. Nothing if not thorough in doing his homework. Presumably he was in breach of the conditions of entry?

A stupid rule (copyright SPL?) that has never moved with technology.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I didn't know about these rules myself.

I know the Stewards are only doing their job but it was the manner in which it happened which was frustrating to see. At the time it just seemed like another Steward making something out of nothing scenario.

From a personal point of view, it just seems like another incident which highlights the whole match day atmosphere at Firhill and Scottish football these days.

Oh well I suppose that’ll be an apology to the poor hapless steward then.

Oh well I suppose that’ll be an apology to the poor hapless steward then.

You are not and never have been allowed to take photos or video in a football ground without consent of the club. (John McGlynn would have presumably had that). Woodstock Jag is correct it is on the T&C's of tickets.

Actually in England they are currently having major issues with all new social media outlets- twitter etc. Clubs think if you are reporting or filming a game you should pay. i.e. Radio Clyde's (i think) coverage of football as an example of the sort of thing they are trying to remove or charge them for.

So the Steward was correctly doing his job.

Hmm, interesting ! I was aware that in days gone by there was a rule prohibiting the use of photographic equipment at football matches however I thought the advent of mobile phones with photo and video function made this rule totally unenforceable. Next time we get a penalty kick have a look around you and count how many people you see with their phone pointed at the penalty spot. A quick search through Youtube will more than prove my point.

Quite frankly I don't see who is suffering if people do make recordings at the game as the quality of photos will not come close to Tommy or CD's and video clips will be no match for PTTV. Furthermore if said video's are published on Youtube then Partick Thistle are getting more public exposure, that being the case then who is the victim of this particular crime? I personally don't see one but I'm sure someone will put me to right!

Hmm, interesting ! I was aware that in days gone by there was a rule prohibiting the use of photographic equipment at football matches however I thought the advent of mobile phones with photo and video function made this rule totally unenforceable. Next time we get a penalty kick have a look around you and count how many people you see with their phone pointed at the penalty spot. A quick search through Youtube will more than prove my point.

Quite frankly I don't see who is suffering if people do make recordings at the game as the quality of photos will not come close to Tommy or CD's and video clips will be no match for PTTV. Furthermore if said video's are published on Youtube then Partick Thistle are getting more public exposure, that being the case then who is the victim of this particular crime? I personally don't see one but I'm sure someone will put me to right!

its not PT rules but SFL/SFA i think. and if the club don't enforce it or at least sen to try to they could be in the crap

You are not and never have been allowed to take photos or video in a football ground without consent of the club. (John McGlynn would have presumably had that). Woodstock Jag is correct it is on the T&C's of tickets.

Actually in England they are currently having major issues with all new social media outlets- twitter etc. Clubs think if you are reporting or filming a game you should pay. i.e. Radio Clyde's (i think) coverage of football as an example of the sort of thing they are trying to remove or charge them for.

So the Steward was correctly doing his job.

There was a recent media ban on using any sponsors names for the EPL, Championship etc due to the FA trying to ban any journalists tweeting or using any form of social media from games. This appears to have been sorted out for now though. It's just another fine example of greed on behalf of foot ball trying to earn from anything and everything.

It's a ridiculous rule and impossible to enforce in 2011. Quoting a bunch of rules and regulations doesn't really aid the discussion on here either.

The attitude of "well that's the law so we'll just abide by it and not question it whatsoever". If everyone thought like that we'd still be hanging people in the town square at dawn. As technology moves forward and society changes so should the rules. The club should ditch these stupid and out of date laws immediately.

Just because the rule exists doesn't mean it should not be questioned.

The steward in question picked on a guy down the front, on his own. When we all started doing it en masse he said nothing to us.

It's things like this that keep driving the crowds down and down, hastening the demise of the game in this country.

It's a ridiculous rule and impossible to enforce in 2011. Quoting a bunch of rules and regulations doesn't really aid the discussion on here either.

The attitude of "well that's the law so we'll just abide by it and not question it whatsoever". If everyone thought like that we'd still be hanging people in the town square at dawn. As technology moves forward and society changes so should the rules. The club should ditch these stupid and out of date laws immediately.

Just because the rule exists doesn't mean it should not be questioned.

The steward in question picked on a guy down the front, on his own. When we all started doing it en masse he said nothing to us.

It's things like this that keep driving the crowds down and down, hastening the demise of the game in this country.

The voice of reason. Well put.

I study Media & Media Law at the moment, and I know that taking photos in private property without prior permission is not allowed. And on the back of the Season Ticket it does say that you are not allowed to take Photographic Equipment into the ground. However this is a stupid, and outdated rule that is completely impractical! What next...the stewards make you put all mobile phones with a camera in a tray like at airport security prior to going through the turnstile!

It's daft and impractical. The club or SFA/SFL does not suffer if somebody puts a highly pixelated video on Youtube etc. Maybe if stewards spent less time bothering people with cameras and more time ejecting bigots and racist singers at Old Firm games this country may be in a better state.

On a side not, I know in the USA, especially at NFL games, that all teams allow videos and photos to be taken from the stand as long as the camera is not above a certain specification. i.e. digital cameras are fine to take pictures with, but they do not allow professional SLR Cameras to be used by fans.

I don't really blame the steward, more the rule! A lot worse goes on at other matches that stewards don't want to get involved in!

It's such a daft rule and one which I would allow to be broken if I were the steward to instigate a revolution against the tossers than 'run' our game.

On the other hand it was rather sexy watching the steward enforce his power in such a confident way.

Where were you 91? Cool, thanks, bye, ok.

*shrugs and pouts*

Aye, nice one SFL or whoever it is that's had the foresight to legislate against the villains that go to Scottish games and criminally make DVDs for the insatiable global market for SFL action. It's high time illicit recording moguls were turned in for depriving our authorities of a share of this multi-billion pound market.

In fact, I thought I better check my own mobile to make sure it's 'clean', and to my horror and self-disgust I just came across some footage from the Hunbrox semi-final, a few snaps from Palmerston a couple of years back and, worst of all, some pictures of Firhill taken outside AND inside the ground.

Needless to say, by the time you're reading this self-flagellating post, I'll be on my way to Blackpool Central polis station to turn masel in.

'bye.

In fact, I thought I better check my own mobile to make sure it's 'clean', and to my horror and self-disgust I just came across some footage from the Hunbrox semi-final, a few snaps from Palmerston a couple of years back and, worst of all, some pictures of Firhill taken outside AND inside the ground.

The worst thing I've ever filmed on my phone was Mark McChrystal trying to be a left back, I started spewing blood after watching it back.

I do however notice on Mark's wikipedia that he holds a degree in Business Studies with Accounts. Good for him.

I study Media & Media Law at the moment, and I know that taking photos in private property without prior permission is not allowed. And on the back of the Season Ticket it does say that you are not allowed to take Photographic Equipment into the ground. However this is a stupid, and outdated rule that is completely impractical! What next...the stewards make you put all mobile phones with a camera in a tray like at airport security prior to going through the turnstile!

It's daft and impractical. The club or SFA/SFL does not suffer if somebody puts a highly pixelated video on Youtube etc. Maybe if stewards spent less time bothering people with cameras and more time ejecting bigots and racist singers at Old Firm games this country may be in a better state.

On a side not, I know in the USA, especially at NFL games, that all teams allow videos and photos to be taken from the stand as long as the camera is not above a certain specification. i.e. digital cameras are fine to take pictures with, but they do not allow professional SLR Cameras to be used by fans.

I don't really blame the steward, more the rule! A lot worse goes on at other matches that stewards don't want to get involved in!

It is definately outdated and almost completely impractical but I don't think I would call it stupid.

Around the world Sports and media organisations have been trying to come to terms will all the new media appearing almost daily it seems and encroaching on their territory.

It seems ok to say no one benefits from watching a fuzzy clip on YouTube or the like but YouTube does benefit through advertising. The club doesn't get a penny of that.

There is a joke just now that Brad Pitt nipped down to the Barras at the weekend to get a copy of the film he is working on to see how it turned out. The point is that somewhere down the line someone is losing out, be it Brad Pitt or Partick Thistle and somewhere, someone is benefiting as soon as it appears in public .

The NFL indeed have moved to allow personal media to be used but they crackdown bigtime if it appears anywhere outside your house and they usually set the standard for these things for everyone else to follow.

This arguement has being going on for years since Radio first then TV broadcast a game live. I would think Sky keeps a lot more people away from games that perhaps a fan tweeting from a game but the pricipal is the same. The thing Sky, BBC ITV etc. have in their favour is that they pay millions of the coverage or as some people see it, compensation for the loss of gate money.

There is no easy answer but if you don't own it it's theft. For instance that picture on your avatar - If it's not of you or you didn't take it or pay for it or you don't have permission from the photographer to use then technically, you are breaking the law.

It's not easy line to tread and that's why sports and other media will be all over the place until some on clever works it all out.