What Was The First Thistle Game You Went To?

jagfox

My first was 7 February 2-2 draw with K*ll*e in epic Scottish Cup run. (gutted it appears Dougie McNab was in goal, always thought I'd seen Roughie play for the Thistle, saw him for Scotland in 84).

First league game was 0-0 with Hamilton Academical at Firhill in October 83.

First away game was at Killie in mid to late 80s, we got beat 1-0.

Edited by jagfox

My first was 7 February 2-2 draw with K*ll*e in epic Scottish Cup run.

First league game was 0-0 with Hamilton Academical at Firhill in October 83.

First away game was at Killie in mid to late 80s, we got beat 1-0.

Was way too young to remember my first game (around about December 1979 i think)...but am reliably informed we won :D

Partick Thistle - 2 (Johnston 2), Leeds United - 0. Tuesday Aug 4th 1983, K.O. 7.30pm. A pre season friendly. 50 pence into the ground, an additional 20 pence onto the enclosure behind the old dug-outs.

Teams : Thistle - 1. D. McNab, 2. A. Kay, 3. B. Whittaker, 4. J. Doyle, 5. K. Watson, 6. G. Doyle, 7. I McDonald, 8. I. Jardine, 9. M. Johnston, 10. A. O'Hara, 11. D. Kenny, 12. K. McDowall, 14. D. Scott, 15. J. Docherty, 16. P. McKenzie.

Leeds United - 1. Harvey, 2. Hird, 3. E. Gray, 4. Watson, 5. Brown, 6. Dickinson, 7. Sheridan, 8. Butterworth, 9. McCluskey, 10. Donnely, 11. Thomas, 12. Wright, 14. Aspin, 15. Gavin, 16. Sellars

First league game : Partick Thistle - 2 (Watson 2), clyde - 0. Saturday Aug 20th 1983.

Fisrt away game : Morton - 4, Thistle - 2 (Buckley, Watson). Wednesday Feb 25th 1984.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

12th Sept 1992, lost 4-1 to Rangers after going ahead,

18,000 at Firhill! Changed days

A Rangers fan school chum of mine tried to hit me wi a tangerine (from the other side of the fence in The Shed). Missed me and smacked a guy a couple of rows down from me who had long white hair, messy :lol: . IIRC Hateley ran riot :(

A Rangers fan school chum of mine tried to hit me wi a tangerine (from the other side of the fence in The Shed). Missed me and smacked a guy a couple of rows down from me who had long white hair, messy :lol: . IIRC Hateley ran riot :(

I only remember Geordie Shaw scoring.

p.s. bloody tangerine bazzas, you've got watch out for them :P

I was brought by a friend (funnily enough by a friend who was and still is a Celtic/Thistle fan :huh: ) as it was only £1 to get in for children under 12 back in 1997, though I'm not completely sure what game it was. In fact I really don't know what game it was, though I've just looked up the results from that season and think it might have been 1-1 against Airdrie (30 August 1997).

This sounds right as I had just started secondary school having arrived as a Rangers fan (though I'd never been to a football match, I just supported who my mates supported). Not long after starting first year I remember a H*n taking the piss out of me for being a Rangers fan but having only ever been to a Thistle game, and in the knowledge that I wanted to go to more Thistle games I decided from then on I was a Thistle fan. Also, when I started secondary school the level of knuckledragger H*n neds increased so it was quite easy to spot that I didn't want to identify with that.

• Like 1

I believe it was Hibs at Firhill sometime in the latter half of the 60's, but I know nothing about the game. I was taken to Ibrox maybe in 68 or 69 for Glasgow cup match which finished 2-2. I told my dad that I preferred the team in Red & Yellow and soon after he started taking me to Firhill. We got relegated & I remember a couple of games against Dundee United & St Johnstone. The St J match we were losing 3-1 & came back to win 4-3. We used to stand on the the north terrace & I remember loads of kids jumping the wall & celebrating behind the goal when we equalised then scored the winner. Like Willjag I wasn't allowed to go to the LC Final (I was 10) as my dad ran an amateur team & I had to go with him. If only I'd known!!!!!

The abandoned Aberdeen snow game late 92. 2-0 at half time, abadoned, re-arranged fixture, 7-0 Aberdeen.

First game I saw that actually finished we got beat at home to Falkirk 1-0 I think, later in the spring I think that was. First Jags goal I saw was a Ray Farningham header in a 1-1 draw with Hearts at Firhill. Honestly can't remember first away game.

Partick Thistle - 2 (Johnston 2), Leeds United - 0. Tuesday Aug 4th 1983, K.O. 7.30pm. A pre season friendly. 50 pence into the ground, an additional 20 pence onto the enclosure behind the old dug-outs.

Teams : Thistle - 1. D. McNab, 2. A. Kay, 3. B. Whittaker, 4. J. Doyle, 5. K. Watson, 6. G. Doyle, 7. I McDonald, 8. I. Jardine, 9. M. Johnston, 10. A. O'Hara, 11. D. Kenny, 12. K. McDowall, 14. D. Scott, 15. J. Docherty, 16. P. McKenzie.

Leeds United - 1. Harvey, 2. Hird, 3. E. Gray, 4. Watson, 5. Brown, 6. Dickinson, 7. Sheridan, 8. Butterworth, 9. McCluskey, 10. Donnely, 11. Thomas, 12. Wright, 14. Aspin, 15. Gavin, 16. Sellars

I remember that game. Watched it from the old away terraces for some reason.

My own first game was Jags 1 Aberdeen 1 in the league on 19th December 1980. Kenny Watson penalty for us and an Alan Rough penalty save into the bargain.

What a bunch of weans. My dad took me to my first game when I was 2. He told me it was at Crappielow in the very late 50s. First game I actually remember was a game at Cathkin v Third Lanark in the early 60s . Remember thinking Jocky Robertson in the Thirds goal was very wee for a goalie...we had the big Highland games expert Johnnie Freebairn in goals at that time!!!!

Edited by Lindau

What a bunch of weans. My dad took me to my first game when I was 2. He told me it was at Crappielow in the very late 50s. First game I actually remember was a game at Cathkin v Third Lanark in the early 60s . Remember thinking Jocky Robertson in the Thirds goal was very wee for a goalie...we had the big Highland games expert Johnnie Freebairn in goals at that time!!!!

Very good, but did you take the trolleybus to get to Cathkin?

December 1962 - Thistle 3 (Hogan, Whitelaw, Hainey) Airdrie 0 Crowd 12,000

It was Thistle's ninth successive win in our best ever run in the top League - 15 games unbeaten. The crowd went mental at half-time when the scores were put up on the board at the City End - Rangers were losing, Thistle were top of the League. I was just a nipper and didn't know what a League was...or that this was as high as we would ever get.

The Winter of 1963 was the worst of the century and virtually no football was played in the UK from the New Year until March...Thistle never recovered their form after the break and faded to a disappointing third.

I think my first away game was at the Cliftonhill Superdome in November 1970. Davie McParland's great side was beginning to shape - 6 of the team played at Hampden less than a year later...we lost 1-0!