Stewarding

potty trained

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder the game is ******. Pathetic, disgraceful, bewildering, take your pick.

The stewards were an utter embarrassment yesterday, this is the sort of thing you'd expect to see at Dens Park or any dump of a ground in Tayside.

FAO PTFC and in particular Ian Maxwell, time to step up to the plate and offer these two fans a form of apology of some sort, for example hospitality tickets.

The worrying is, will these two guys be back after that petty bullshit yesterday? You've got to hope that their love for the Club will mean that they come back because the last thing we need is losing more fans.

snip-

however if you start throwing objects such as pie trays, food or drink at other spectators, stewards or players then expect to be ejected from the stadium. Likewise if you are abusive towards other spectators, staff including stewards then expect to be ejected from the stadium.

So by that reasoning I guess we won't be seeing PTFC throwing packages into the crowd again? If what you are saying is taken literally then by your reasoning they sould be ejected should they not?

I know that's being extremely petty but so was the 'reasons' given for the fans being ejected. If it was a bottle then yes, a pie foil tray...

Also left the last it of snipped quote. 'Abusive towards staff including stewards'. What if I don't like the steward at the back gate's every second word to me being a swear word? He might not be seeing that as abusive but I might take it as being abusive.

I ave to say that i've long thought that the stewarding at Firhill left a lot to be desired. Doesn't look good when they're standing on duty outside the ground smoking a fag and swearing whilst talking. Not very professional imo.

Massive boob by 'Europa', in my opinion. I'm sure one of the things Thistle fans enjoy(ed) when following the side is the sense of community and human interaction that you don't get with bigger sides.

Now, instead of Brian's welcome and earnest input, we're being fed robotic regulation by a faceless entity. Another stark example of football having lost its soul.

I was one of the partick thistle fans that was ejected from the stadium yesterday for apparently as the steward informed me ``throwing something``to which I admitted yes I ripped up my 4 losing 50/50 tickets and tossed them in the air at half time which as a group of friends who attend the games with our kids normally do.I could not believe that we were asked to leave the ground.We dont normally go to that end of the ground but where we usually sit was taken up by away fans.I have never been thrown out of a ground before and last night I kind of laughed it off.Will I be back ? probably yes because my love for partick thistle goes deeper than being kicked out by a steward for throwing paper also I cant speak for my pal who at the time was probably more angry than me,no wonder as he and his family have 3 season tickets

why were the police even there filming us? were they expecting a torrent of sectarian abuse at a thistle v hamilton match where both sets of supporters are in mid table and our seasons are over? you would think they would be filming at hunbrox with the big and wee rangers, or is that the wee and wee rangers now?!

Tell us the other side then McKennan. I saw the whole thing, did you?

You could have it filmed it and shown at the IMAX cinema down by the Clyde for all I care. As I said, there are two sides to every story - maybe you won't like what someone else has to say, maybe you'll see it from their side. When I posted last night all I could smell from this thread was witch hunt.

why were the police even there filming us? were they expecting a torrent of sectarian abuse at a thistle v hamilton match where both sets of supporters are in mid table and our seasons are over? you would think they would be filming at hunbrox with the big and wee rangers, or is that the wee and wee rangers now?!

It's pretty much routine to film crowds these days. I remember arriving at Banff for a Deveronvale v Thistle game in 2007 to see MacKnacker had set a camera up across from the ticket desk at the entrance to the park.

It's a simple question that requires an answer:

Why were people ejected for throwing torn 50/50 draw tickets like confetti?

Actually it requires several answers: Who took the decision to eject somebody? Why has it never been an issue before, or indeed with regards to other people who did something similar yesterday? What are the safety implications of this, and leaving litter and Bovril spills etc on which people could slip at any moment?

It's a simple question that requires an answer:

Were people ejected for throwing torn 50/50 draw tickets like confetti?

Sorry for editing you, but context is everything. If folk were kicked out for tearing paper up, that's bonkers. I'd be asking if that's all there was to the situation.

Uh no. My foot is six inches wide and the seat in front is right beside the stairs. Ergo when I said that the steward insisted I move my foot so it no longer protruded by a spectacular six inches I meant exactly that.

Six inches can get people into an awful pickle. You feel the steward was pulling you up. Is it possible he/she saw your foot as a safety hazard?

Looking forward to getting chucked out next home game as we have ripped up our 50/50 losing tickets for ages, was also making planes with the sale flyers today :D Yup we are all big kids at heart.

Seems a massive over-reaction from the stewards and while arguably technically correct its just crazy to throw people out for that. Opens up a big can of worms for everyone.

Simple solution would be an apology from the stewards and a ticket to the next game , sorted :D

Out of interest, what was in the bottle that was confiscated? Where the stewards, particularly the lone female, subjected to any abuse. And was this incident linked to ticket throwing?

It was either a bottle of Coca Cola or Pepsi, whether it had alcohol in it or not - no one knows. The steward didn't check by smelling the content of the bottle.

The steward at the stairs in Section 1/2 was female but during the first incident (guy with the bottle) the booing and shouts started when the anti sectarian police guys and, what seemed to be head of the stewards arrived during half time. This then happened again during and after the second incident.

No abuse was directed at the female steward. Any shouts summarizing the joke of a situation occured when the head of the stewards appeared now and again.

The incidents involving the guy with the bottle and the guys with the 50/50 tickets were not linked.

If this paper throwing incident has been caught on CCTV, can the footage be reviewed to establish exactly what happened?

Whilst it's primary use is to check on fans behaviour it can also be used to establish whether the stewards were out of order and appropriate action taken / feedback given.

Really not interested in what Europa have to say, quoting the rule book adds absolutely nothing to the debate.

Europa - why don't you provide us with your version of events?

smeatojag - Thanks for coming on to provide your side of the story. I really hope to see you back at Firhill. Remember, it's our club, not theirs.

There definitely did seem to be a new stewarding policy in place yesterday, as a result of the increased police presence.

Can someone tell us when Brian's last post was? I have a feeling that the new Europa/Sporting Solutions regime may have clipped his wings and he is now prohibited from posting on here.

Words can't describe what went on today!

3 folk thrown out from the shed, 2 for throwing ripped up tickets in the air.

I have never seen a more jobs worth display. Coincidentally, the sectarian enforcement police were in the ground. So a section of established stewards decided to make a name from themselves.

So bloody typical of everything about the fitba these days

As with all football grounds we need to comply with the Safety at Sports Ground Act as well as our licence conditions from Glasgow City Council, Strathclyde Police, Strathclyde Fire and Rescue and Scottish Ambulance Service. We must comply with our licence conditions otherwise the licence to operate will be withdrawn and we will be unable to host any events at Firhill.

There is strict enforcement of the numbers of stewards required dependant on the layout of a stadium. There is also an ongoing training and development program for every steward employed at Firhill.

We are not permitted to provide litter bins within the seating area of the stadium at Firhill as this becomes an obstruction in the event of an emergency, therefore the only option available to us is to litter pick the stand after each match.

As part of the ground regulations certain articles cannot be brought into a stadium that may be used as a weapon or cause injury to others such as cans, bottles, alcohol and glass. There is a full list of the ground regulations printed and displayed outside each of the turnstile doors and within the concourse areas. The stewards can eject someone from the ground for smoking, bringing in a bottle or can, using cameras or mobile phones to record the event etc however we take a more relaxed approach and ask someone to stop filming or smoking or remove the bottle or can from them. If the person refuses or is a persistent offender or continues after being asked to stop then they will normally be ejected. You will not be ejected from the ground for dropping litter under your seat or for ripping up a 50/50 ticket and throwing it in the air like confetti, however if you start throwing objects such as pie trays, food or drink at other spectators, stewards or players then expect to be ejected from the stadium. Likewise if you are abusive towards other spectators, staff including stewards then expect to be ejected from the stadium.

On a matchday the event is controlled from the police control room by the Police Inspector who is the match commander. Within the control room there is a team managing and monitoring the event for everyones safety and enjoyment of the event. There is a cctv operator who is scanning every seat with powerful zoom lens cameras looking for any sign of trouble and when anything is noticed a steward or a police officer will be sent to investigate and deal with as appropriate. The cctv system is continually recording and can be played back and reviewed to check at any future date. The police match commander is in control during the event and it will be his decision that stands.

At todays match some of the police officers were wearing bodycams attached to thier jackets which also record sound. These cameras look set to be a familar sight on more police officers in particular at football grounds so please remember that the laws of the land still apply within football stadiums.

If anyone feels that they have been treated unfairly by a steward or any member of staff then please contact the club direct and they will review each and every case.

:lol: .....so when wee wullie smith gets offered a shift at the fitba on the Friday night he is trained beforehand?? more like he is handed a high vis jacket and papped oot into the ground....you can always spot them as well...young lads built like a one iron with a high vis on to fit Geoff Capes!

Really not interested in what Europa have to say, quoting the rule book adds absolutely nothing to the debate.

Europa - why don't you provide us with your version of events?

smeatojag - Thanks for coming on to provide your side of the story. I really hope to see you back at Firhill. Remember, it's our club, not theirs.

There definitely did seem to be a new stewarding policy in place yesterday, as a result of the increased police presence.

Can someone tell us when Brian's last post was? I have a feeling that the new Europa/Sporting Solutions regime may have clipped his wings and he is now prohibited from posting on here.

thank you for your support,I have e -mailed the club today and my friend is going to contact them aswell,we really need some answers on why we were ejected,if it was the paper throwing thing to which i have already admitted to the steward at the time then a lot more people are likely to be thrown out at home matches which in my opinon is very sad.I await a response from partick thistle

thank you for your support,I have e -mailed the club today and my friend is going to contact them aswell,we really need some answers on why we were ejected,if it was the paper throwing thing to which i have already admitted to the steward at the time then a lot more people are likely to be thrown out at home matches which in my opinon is very sad.I await a response from partick thistle

Good move, Smeato. That would have saved us three pages of the Abigail Williams routine. However, we're stuck with it.

Can I ask, were you put out straight away or spoken to/advised/warned about your conduct? Was there more than one incident? Confiscation of a bottle seems to have appeared in the mix.

You will probably be asked to go back and pick up your litter but only after you have paid your £17 to get in!!