Proposed Move Of Singing Section

ian_mac

On saturday before the game, myself and another jags fan were invited to Firhill for a meeting with the new One Thistle team.

They are, like us, concerned about the lack of atmosphere in the ground recently and want to consult the fans about this.

The problems with the current location of the singing section have been discussed at length before.

1. It's too far away from the away fans

2. The noise travels out towards the pitch, but doesn't spread along the JH, making it hard for the rest of the stand to join in.

3. The recent stewarding issues, also discussed previously on here.

Now, in an ideal world we could build terracing on the bing but as we all know, we are stuck with Firhill the way it is for the considerable future. So we were discussing how we could improve things with the ground as it is.

The proposal on the table is this:

As of the start of next season, the north stand will become the new "singing section". The away fans will now be at the north end of the JH permanently. Jags fans will be able to choose so sit in either stand, no special season tickets or match tickets required. The north stand will be officially renamed as "The Shed"

The police have approved the proposal.

There will be a pro-atmosphere stewarding policy in place - none of the nonsense we have to put up with at Dens Park for example - standing will encouraged.

Fans will be encouraged to bring banners and flags to make the place as colourful as possible, there is also talk of new banners and flags being produced by the one thistle team.

Under 16s will not be allowed - the kids section wil remain in the JH beside the away fans. In the days of the old shed, I remember it being something to aspire to, something to look forward to when you were older.

I have spoke to several away fans who have said that the atmosphere in the north stand can be quite good if it's well populated, so I am in favour of the idea.

At the game on saturday I spoke to as many of the shed boys as I could about the proposal and the reaction was very positive.

The reason for starting this thread is to gauge opinion on this - it's a fans initiative.

A few points to make before we open up the discussion:

1. This will take time. It may be that only 50 odd fans move across initially, and some cynics may label us a laughing stock. But if people can see that we are trying to create an atmosphere then I am convinced that numbers will grow. In time, this could bring back lapsed fans and even NEW fans to Firhill.

2. There will of course be the usual cynicism about change. But for anyone looking to have a dig at this, are you happy for things to remain as they are?

3. This has come from the One Thistle team, which to me is a sign that they mean business, and I was extremely impressed with their attitude and commitment to the idea.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hallelujah.

What a great proactive decision this is. We've been giving the away fans the best stand for atmosphere in the division for years, plus thir own fans to shoot at. I might even get a season ticket next year of this happens. Can I just add that having something to tie flags to on the back of the stand would make this significantly easier. Apart from that great idea.

Edited by PaleGreySky

Not much more i can add to what Ian has stated above.

Again, just to say i was impressed with the enthusiasm displayed by Jim and Lance (and Maxi) when we met up. It would seem that the One Thistle Team is the way forward and will give us the fans and the Club, the chance to progress, in a way that wasn't previously available.

This is something that the One Thistle guys have spent a lot of time planning and discussing with the police, to ensure they are aware of how it will work. There will be a slight police presence to begin with, maybe one or two, but that will purely be to show to them that we are no political movement or such.... Just that we are a bunch of folk looking to have fun and create an atmosphere in the ground, to back the team.

On the back of theis, it will also see the home team moving to the North end of the ground to warm up, thus allowing the kids section greater access to the players pre match and at half time etc.

One benefit of us moving to the North Stand is that it becomes our stand, and it will remain our stand no matter who we play against. We will not be moved.

Hallelujah.

What a great proactive decision this is. We've been giving the away fans the best stand for atmosphere in the division for years, plus thir own fans to shoot at. I might even get a season ticket next year of this happens. Can I just add that having something to tie flags to on the back of the stand would make this significantly easier. Apart from that great idea.

Exactly the kind of thing we are looking for. None of us thought of this on Saturday, but it's actually a very good point!

One benefit of us moving to the North Stand is that it becomes our stand, and it will remain our stand no matter who we play against. We will not be moved.

That's both bold and surprising. So, does that mean a visit from either of the OF on cup duty would see them housed in the same stand as the home support?

For the old firm or a large travelling support, First and foremost they would be housed in The Main Stand. Then any overflow would go into The JHS.

The problem with the main stand is that whilst still safe and able to be used, it requires more stewards due to exit times incase of a fire.

To break even and cover costs, you effectively need to fill the main stand.

when i say large travelling support, i mean one that can't be housed in the allocated area of the JHS.

As always, the police will have final say on any changes. but this will be done with full fan consultation.

Edited by potty trained

That seems like a very sensible and welll thought out idea.

Wonder if this will mean that we wont be shooting towards the City End in the 2nd half once this starts...

Obviously depends on who wins the coin toss etc. But Maxi has said that the players have already agreed to start warming up at that end.

Hats off to Maxwell and all involved for this. Gives the fans more choice and will surely boost the atmosphere. A trivial point too, but its been argued on here and the old forum that away teams benefit from shooting into their own fans in the second half at Firhill, so perhaps it benefits the team in that aspect too?

Maybe gets the weans more involved too, more autographs and nearer any singing.

Edited by MWM

Not much more i can add to what Ian has stated above.

Again, just to say i was impressed with the enthusiasm displayed by Jim and Lance (and Maxi) when we met up. It would seem that the One Thistle Team is the way forward and will give us the fans and the Club, the chance to progress, in a way that wasn't previously available.

This is something that the One Thistle guys have spent a lot of time planning and discussing with the police, to ensure they are aware of how it will work. There will be a slight police presence to begin with, maybe one or two, but that will purely be to show to them that we are no political movement or such.... Just that we are a bunch of folk looking to have fun and create an atmosphere in the ground, to back the team.

On the back of theis, it will also see the home team moving to the North end of the ground to warm up, thus allowing the kids section greater access to the players pre match and at half time etc.

Err, not a dig, but that's what we were promised about the JH stand not very long ago.

That's both bold and surprising. So, does that mean a visit from either of the OF on cup duty would see them housed in the same stand as the home support?

You can bet everything you own that the Jags support would be shunted around according to how the OF fans (i.e., the polis) want things to be.

Well done to all concerned in this initiative. It sounds well worth a go, and I like the bit about guaranteed consultation on any plans to change things.

We are Thistle. :happy2:

Seconded. Definitely worth trying out. And if it means that somebody who wouldn't have bought a season ticket might now do it, then that can only be a good sign.

A very positive step. Only downside is that the increased stewarding costs of having two stands open and segregation within one stand, which as you say would be avoided if we could just build terracing at one end. If those involved (One Thistle and those in the shed) can make it work, an increase in attendances should make up for any increased stewarding cost.

As already discussed there could easily be an effect on team performance. At the start of next season the novelty factor will hopefully have the singers creating an atmosphere which the players can use to spur themselves on. Hopefully both atmosphere and performances will improve together and get attendances up, further improving atmosphere, etc.

Great to see such fast action from the One Thistle initiative, so often these things are mooted and rarely does anything happen in the end.

great idea, ive been saying for years we should use the North stand (and give it a proper name!) as the atmosphere from it always helped away teams. Also, who cares if we are all moved to the North end of the JH? It makes no difference & probably makes policing easier

A very positive step. Only downside is that the increased stewarding costs of having two stands open and segregation within one stand, which as you say would be avoided if we could just build terracing at one end. If those involved (One Thistle and those in the shed) can make it work, an increase in attendances should make up for any increased stewarding cost.

As already discussed there could easily be an effect on team performance. At the start of next season the novelty factor will hopefully have the singers creating an atmosphere which the players can use to spur themselves on. Hopefully both atmosphere and performances will improve together and get attendances up, further improving atmosphere, etc.

Great to see such fast action from the One Thistle initiative, so often these things are mooted and rarely does anything happen in the end.

Come on; you know fine how it usually works out when the crowd is big and full of enthusiasm.

Yes. Yes 100% YES! :thumbsup2:

Excellent!!

Sounds good to me,however we would need a few hundred to move over or it may be rediculed.It might be worth trialing it out on the last home game of the season and allow season tickets to be vallid

Sounds good to me,however we would need a few hundred to move over or it may be rediculed.It might be worth trialing it out on the last home game of the season and allow season tickets to be vallid

Macca this was discussed, on Saturday.

Although i wasn't sure, i would probably say now, that yes. It would be a good idea to trial it.

Last home game is against Falkirk, also the day of the POTY Dance. So maybe it would be good to trial it, then.

Memo to OneThistle: if moving singing section to North Stand, make sure you improve the standard of catering, and ensure there is still enough pehs left by 4pm for those at end of queues.

Other than that, great initiative in theory, will be alien to watch and cheer on the Jags from the traditional away end of the ground (but the stadium has been basturdised so much over the last decade or two, that becomes a mute point now), be intersting to see how many vacate the JHS to take up residence in the new "Shed", but will be good for the singers to be closer to away support, be heard (and seen) by rest of jags support in JHS too, and have an area that is police and steward free (as much as possible), where they can deck it out in banners, flags, song, dance and taps aff.

One other suggestion to OneThistle/ianmac+davej: provision of a smoking section for the singers (ideally which has view of the pitch - for example the tarmacced area between turnstiles and stand?).

If my suggestions and others made in this thread are implemented and added to the initiative of giving the singers a dedicated stand permanently, then the much fabled matchday experience and atmosphere inside Firhill should be greatly improved.

REDNYELLA ARMY !!!!

Edited by yoda-jag

There has much to be sceptical about over the years, and I know how easy it is for these things to become a navel gazing talking shop, so at one level, it's nice to see something tangible coming out of the "onethistle" thing so early on. Long may that continue.

Point 1: Anything that can improve the atmosphere at Firhill is to be commended. In fact, even if it doesn't actually work, anything that tries to improve the atmosphere at Firhill is to be commended;

Point 2: I've never been that keen on having to rely on directors to put up their own money to make the club viable. Much better if there is a stable business model which is self funding. The only way that's going to happen is if enough punters turn up on a Saturday / pay into the Centenary Fund / buy season tickets and the like. Bottom line is that if there aren't enough customers / fans, then it's never going to work and it's just a matter of time before the roof falls in. With that in mind, anything that tries to re-engage with the fans, gets them involved in decision making and properly consults to try to deliver what they want can only be a good thing.

Beyond that, I don't think there's much to say. I hope the move is a success, but if it isn't, let's not lose heart and still use this as an opportunity to re-engage the supporters with the board room and the team and keep trying.

Well, that's quite enough from me -- well done guys, you have my support for what it's worth. Keep up the good work.