Wondering when we're likely to hear what players are being released?

I know Stewart is for the off - no issues there. I've also heard rumours that McGrotty has been released - not sure I've seen it confirmed anywhere though - and Griffen appeared to tweet that he expected to be released also. I'm confused - are they not meant to be two of our more promising youth players?

It will be interesting to see who is released and who is kept in advance of rebuilding the squad for next season...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering when we're likely to hear what players are being released?

I know Stewart is for the off - no issues there. I've also heard rumours that McGrotty has been released - not sure I've seen it confirmed anywhere though - and Griffen appeared to tweet that he expected to be released also. I'm confused - are they not meant to be two of our more promising youth players?

It will be interesting to see who is released and who is kept in advance of rebuilding the squad for next season...

Believe McGrotty may have been released for disciplinary reasons although his release has still to be confirmed by the club.

Griffin is a strange one as it appeared Jackie seemed to rate him quite highly so I'm surprised he is for the off. However, I think it is indicative that Jackie may be a bit more ruthless than we expected him to be this summer and I reckon we might see quite a few players departing in the coming weeks.

Think it will be

Stewart, Burns, Ketterer, Burbridge, Stevenson all look to be out of contact and cant see why he would keep any of them on

Mayve some of the youngers guys like McGrotty etc if they havent developed over the season.

Griffin is a strange one why give him a debut and play him in the squad then release him a couple of weeks later?

Gavin Griffin could be an unfortunate victim of budget cuts following the departure of the Warriors to Scotstoun. We are well covered at left-back for next season. Bannigan has proved an able replacement for the injured Sinclair. Lindsay will be returning from loan and we will also have Sekhon. If necessary, Archibald could return to his original position.

With a reduced budget, the manager's priority will be midfield with Cairney and Paton out of contract and Welsh returning to Hibs. Even if Hibs release him, Welsh could have other options. If Paton turns down his offer, the manager will probably seek cover for O'Donnell as Campbell has hardly featured this season. There could be more options in loans or free agents. It would be no surprise if there is no news for a few weeks.

Edited to ask if there any news on Robertson who is also out of contract this month.

Edited by kni

According to the Times, Stewart, Burns and Griffin are away.

http://www.eveningti...le-man.17533646

"Free to leave" rather than "released"? Burns is out of contract this month. Griffin was continuing his modern apprenticeship at Firhill but the length of his contract is not stated on the official site.

Fenlon would have watched Welsh when scouting Cairney. We could have competition for Sean's signature.

Does anyone know about Annan's Muirhead?

"Free to leave" rather than "released"? Burns is out of contract this month. Griffin was continuing his modern apprenticeship at Firhill but the length of his contract is not stated on the official site.

Fenlon would have watched Welsh when scouting Cairney. We could have competition for Sean's signature.

Does anyone know about Annan's Muirhead?

Annan fans on P&B rate him as other fans of clubs who hes played against this season. Apparently very versatile in defence and midfield.

Annan fans on P&B rate him as other fans of clubs who hes played against this season. Apparently very versatile in defence and midfield.

The comments on P&B suggest that he would be competition for O'Donnell and cover for the central defenders.

Looks like Paton is staying.

http://www.eveningti...-paton.17518981

I'm of the opinion that Jackie will keep (or try to keep) virtually all the players that played for any length of time in the last quarter of the season. By and large I thought we played good football with a predominant flaw of lacking that cutting edge. Feel McNamara would rather work with the players he's already got to overcome that flaw than implement any major change of squad. Re-signing Paton and trying to get Welsh signed would be consistent with that policy.

Jackie's been quite candid with his thoughts re youth development in recent seasons previous to 11/12 so I expect a fair bit of movement there.

I'm of the opinion that Jackie will keep (or try to keep) virtually all the players that played for any length of time in the last quarter of the season. By and large I thought we played good football with a predominant flaw of lacking that cutting edge. Feel McNamara would rather work with the players he's already got to overcome that flaw than implement any major change of squad. Re-signing Paton and trying to get Welsh signed would be consistent with that policy.

Jackie's been quite candid with his thoughts re youth development in recent seasons previous to 11/12 so I expect a fair bit of movement there.

I agree. Also I think since we'll have a more limited squad than some other likely challengers it makes sense to be able to start the season with players who have played together for a bit (with a few additions to strengthen). We need to get off to a good start for once.

The future of both Fraser and Kinniburgh is unclear. Neither has featured much and Burns has been on the bench in front Of Fraser and he has been released. Would not surprise me if both are for the off despite both been contracted for next season.

The signing of Welsh is key to next year I believe, I think him and Paton could a good thing for us in the middle. Got a feeling Hibs may offer him something though, has really developed over the last few months. He would be crazy to turn down any offer from Hibs, think he could feature for them based on his recent form.

Would like us to sign an experienced defender, midfielder, and forward for next year.

Edited by Alan Murray

The future of both Fraser and Kinniburgh are unclear. Neither has featured much and Burns has been on the bench in front Of Fraser and he has been released. Would not surprise me if both are for the off despite both been contracted for next season.

The signing of Welsh is key to next year I believe, I think him and Paton could a good thing for us in the middle. Got a feeling Hibs may offer him something though, has really developed over the last few months. He would be crazy to turn down any offer from Hibs, think he could feature for them based on his recent form.

Would like us to sign an experienced defender, midfielder, and forward for next year.

Is Kinniburgh fully fit? It's possible that he is still struggling with injury. Campbell, like Fraser, is under contract for next season and was farmed out to Stenny on loan. Paying off contracted players would be expensive unless they can find new full-time clubs.

We have enough defenders signed up for next season - O'Donnell, Sinclair, Lindsay, Archibald, Kinniburgh, Balatoni and (assuming the Times is right) Paton. Bannigan can cover on the left too. We also have several forwards signed up - Doolan, McGuigan, Elliot, Fraser and, if necessary, Erskine.

The priority signings must be and a right winger and a central midfielder. Cairney, if the press are right, is going to Hibs. As you say, Welsh could have other offers. If we can add another forward, it would probably have to a loan.

Edited by kni

How is that different from last season?

True. Possibly a banal suggestion on my part but true nevertheless. Just because we failed to do it in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't aim for it. If Macnamara can get us off to that flier then perhaps we do have a manager.

Confirmed by Chris Jack on Twitter that Paton has signed on for another year.

Confirmed on official site - http://www.ptfc.co.u..._for_paul_paton

"We are delighted to confirm that this morning Paul Paton committed his immediate future to Partick Thistle when he signed a new one year contract."

"It is hoped that we will have further signing news to bring you here on www.ptfc.co.ukin the early part of next week." Welsh?

Edited by kni

Is Kinniburgh fully fit? It's possible that he is still struggling with injury. Campbell, like Fraser, is under contract for next season and was farmed out to Stenny on loan. Paying off contracted players would be expensive unless they can find new full-time clubs.

We have enough defenders signed up for next season - O'Donnell, Sinclair, Lindsay, Archibald, Kinniburgh, Balatoni and (assuming the Times is right) Paton. Bannigan can cover on the left too. We also have several forwards signed up - Doolan, McGuigan, Elliot, Fraser and, if necessary, Erskine.

The priority signings must be and a right winger and a central midfielder. Cairney, if the press are right, is going to Hibs. As you say, Welsh could have other offers. If we can add another forward, it would probably have to a loan.

We may have a number signed up but Doolan and probably are the only regular goal scorers. McGuigan looks potentially very good but it is still a huge step up the lad faces and I am far from convinced that Fraser and Elliot have got what it takes.