Jonny Tuffey

Stephen1876

it's quite hard to judge keepers pre & post the pass back rule. Keepers nowadays require decent footwork. For that skill alone I'd put Tuffey, the most two footed kicker of a ball I've seen for many a year, a bit further up Jaggernaut's list.

Anybody who saw Roughies dribble against "them" for Scotland at Hampden 1976 will know that he also has more than decent footwork.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Billys problem was that Roughie was there and he got very few 1st team oppo's

Were Roughy and Thompson not the 1st and 2nd choice for Scotland while they were at the Jags? Seem to remember them being 1st and 2nd choice, but not too sure whether they were both on our books at the same time.

Were Roughy and Thompson not the 1st and 2nd choice for Scotland while they were at the Jags? Seem to remember them being 1st and 2nd choice, but not too sure whether they were both on our books at the same time.

Rough was Scotland's No. 1...and Billy Thompson was the Scotland Under 23 keeper when he was with us at the same time. I think he only played once for Thistle's first team.

i would rate Nelson, Arthur & Tuffey about equal but Tuffey has superb games against Livingston in the Cup Replay and against ICT.

The only thing I remember about Langfield was a horrible flap at a cross which cost us a last minute goal against Dundee and more or less sealed our relegation from the Premier League.

if my near 900 year old memory is right, it was only once BT went to St Mirren did he become #2

edited to add: wiki says i'm right

Edited by yoda-jag

I met Johnny Tuffey in a bar in Inverness a month or so ago - I think Inverness had played some kind of testimonial/friendly against Ross County.

Anyway, he was very civil and happy to have a blether, despite my less than sober state.

I picked then that he wasn't happy that he couldn't get a regular game.

i had the pleasure of seeing George Niven,He was supposedly finished when he came to us,thought that George was truly outstanding

Likewise :thumbsup2:

We tried doing it again with Billy Ritchie, who had pushed Niven out the rangers first team, but on that occasion I think it's fair to say Ritchie's best days were behind him.

Likewise :thumbsup2:

We tried doing it again with Billy Ritchie, who had pushed Niven out the rangers first team, but on that occasion I think it's fair to say Ritchie's best days were behind him.

I've always thought that Ritchie's reflexes and interest in playing had gone by the time he came to us. He was beefy and slow, and certainly did nothing that was of any real help in the season we got relegated from the 1st to the 2nd.

Tuffey commanded his box well and was reliable in coming out for high balls, which he invariably caught. He also made good reaction saves and must have had one of the best penalty save records of any keeper.

Of the ones I've seen, I'd only rate Roughie and Mr Shortbread higher.

Kevin Budinaukas would make it into my top ten. He didn't look the part but overcame a leg-break and rose from the lower ranks to become first choice for a season or so and his performances warranted the place.

This thread got me thinking about the worst keepers we've had. Davide Klein springs to mind, and can anyone remember the name of the wee fat back-up keeper we had a few years ago - Steven Ross?

I actually didn't think that Klein was all that bad! One really terrible failure to deal with a cross ball that lost us a match, but otherwise he was OK (I think).

For me the absolute worst was Andrew Stewart, loaned from Dundee United and played 9 matches for us during Save The Jags. Couldn't kick, couldn't catch, couldn't command his box, couldn't do anything right. Wiki shows him disappearing after a couple of seasons with East Fife.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Nelson Still, Dougie McNab too, but previously mentioned Andy Stewart on loan from Dundee U was the worst i've seen in over 40 years.

I notice no mention of John Hillcoat in either the best or worst threads. Personally, i thought he was rubbish, seemed to stand too far off his line and get caught by out by long range shots that should have been easily dealt with

I actually didn't think that Klein was all that bad! One really terrible failure to deal with a cross ball that lost us a match, but otherwise he was OK (I think).

For me the absolute worst was Andrew Stewart, loaned from Dundee United and played 9 matches for us during Save The Jags. Couldn't kick, couldn't catch, couldn't command his box, couldn't do anything right. Wiki shows him disappearing after a couple of seasons with East Fife.

If memory serves me right, Klein had 3 games in a row that he cost us and that was enough for Lambie. Airdrie, St Mirren and Ross County.