New Statement From The Club

Third Lanark

Three bodies and not a clue about fans feelings amongst them.

Exactly....my worry in all this, is that us diddy teams will be TOLD by the authorities that NEWCO are moving into Div 1, like it or lump it. I t would then be up to us, the supporters of the diddy clubs to take action. Nothing would surprise me in this fiasco, but if it happens, Scottish football as we know it dies that day

Edited by Lindau

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The recent Club statement was put out in conjunction with the onethistle team.Its role in any future decision will be to ensure the fans are given as much opportunity to make there feelings known to the Club and vica versa to allow the Board of Directors to put forward there view.onethistle will not have any say in the debate (it it occurs) either way, its role is to ensure effective communications to the fans and allow there views to be heard.

We recognise that as well as the formal Supporters organisation there is a a wide array of fans groups which we will ensure we communicate with, I read that the Chairman of St Johnstone met with a Fans Forum Group last week.Plus we also recognise that not everyone can attend public meetings due to time and distance ,we will take this fact onboard when looking at a Communications strategy if required.

Thanks for clearing that up, JJ

From daily record site, link on other thread.

"

SCOTTISH football chiefs last night shook hands on a verbal agreement that will see a Rangers newco play in the First Division next season.

But the game’s rulers will face opposition from member clubs as they try to push the deal through.

The talks involving SFA chief Stewart Regan, Neil Doncaster of the SPL and SFL top dog David Longmuir are also set to spark a major revamp of our game.

Play-offs between the SPL and SFL would return and there would also be a redistribution of TV and sponsorship money.

A joint statement from all three bodies last night stated: “Further consultation will take place in the near future, with the aim of reaching a positive outcome.”

The weekend summit meeting had mainly focused on finding an avenue for Rangers to be allowed into the First Division.

Gers face a vote on July 4 to see if their newco will be granted entry into the SPL but the bid looks doomed to failure.

Longmuir will now urge his member clubs to allow Gers to drop down just one flight.

But that won’t be straightforward as several SFL clubs will oppose the move.

Falkirk chairman Martin Ritchie has already gone public with his objections and more clubs are expected to follow."

Do you genuinely believe a word of that tripe?

Shaking hands on verbal agreements - you just cannae whack it, though tongues probably weren't on the agenda.

What the Record story tells us is that there's no agreement at all without the consent of 'member clubs'. 'Member clubs' surely know to be wary of what they sign up for - the papers are already telling us that it's a given that any team playing under the 'Glasgow Rangers' banner will fly through the league and straight back into the top flight.

Better be prepared for some disagreement there. Anyhoo, if that is the case then the boards of clubs better weigh up the advantages of pissing of their fan bases to have 'Rangers' for a season against trying to win back the people they need for all time.

I think in this new statement, we can see the subtle influence of the One Thistle group; they seem to be a much more effective communication conduit to the Board than the remnants of the Jags Trust could ever aspire to be.

Who sits on the One Thistle group? Are there any plans for them to try and purchase shares? Do they have any contact at all with the JT?

Just curious.

Edited by madcapmilkdrinker

I can fully understand the feeling of some supporters, probably the majority, regarding this situation but I can also fully understand the thoughts of the Club Board in seeing an opportunity here to gain a better deal for Thistle and finally see some change occur in this perilolus game that exists here in Scotland.

ZombieRangers are fecked as things stand just now. They may well be lucky to even field a team in Div One and Thursday's payday deadline will be a very interesting one. There is a growing feeling amongst the Rangers support that administration for the NewCo could be just around the corner and they might not even get a team onto the park for next season.

What our Board have to be seen to be doing from my point of view is taking full advantage of this situation in pushng through radical reforms of our game. Two big leagues with a regionalised pyramid system is the way forward for me being run by ONE body. We need to rid the game of all the hangers on that are in it for the blazer alone. We need to ssort out the OF dominance and dictation in what happens at the top level of our game and by getting involved in these talks regarding NewGers in Div 1 we are doing that. I am glad to see David Beattie speaking out about all this and taking a stance that we have to listen to what is being said before making a decision. I don't think this instant 'No to Newco' chat is realistic, nor taking into account the affects of NewGers in Div 3 will ultimately have on our game.

One thing is certain. The influence of the OneThistle group, and a Board that are willing to listen is something we would never have had under the previous regime and I am glad we have this situation in place where the fans views are taken onboard and considered.

What our Board have to be seen to be doing from my point of view is taking full advantage of this situation in pushng through radical reforms of our game. Two big leagues with a regionalised pyramid system is the way forward for me being run by ONE body. We need to rid the game of all the hangers on that are in it for the blazer alone. We need to ssort out the OF dominance and dictation in what happens at the top level of our game and by getting involved in these talks regarding NewGers in Div 1 we are doing that. I am glad to see David Beattie speaking out about all this and taking a stance that we have to listen to what is being said before making a decision.

We shouldn't have to compromise, though. It's becoming increasingly clear that Newco are nothing.

Leggo is ******* brilliant been reading a lot of his stuff linked from the Pie and Bovril megathread. You can just imagine an old jakey sitting randomly hammering keys while he downs his tenth superlager of that day to come up with that shit. I think the mad old basatrd even wrote a book which is marginally worse than his daily rantings :D

Edited by Junior

I can fully understand the feeling of some supporters, probably the majority, regarding this situation but I can also fully understand the thoughts of the Club Board in seeing an opportunity here to gain a better deal for Thistle and finally see some change occur in this perilolus game that exists here in Scotland.

ZombieRangers are fecked as things stand just now. They may well be lucky to even field a team in Div One and Thursday's payday deadline will be a very interesting one. There is a growing feeling amongst the Rangers support that administration for the NewCo could be just around the corner and they might not even get a team onto the park for next season.

What our Board have to be seen to be doing from my point of view is taking full advantage of this situation in pushng through radical reforms of our game. Two big leagues with a regionalised pyramid system is the way forward for me being run by ONE body. We need to rid the game of all the hangers on that are in it for the blazer alone. We need to ssort out the OF dominance and dictation in what happens at the top level of our game and by getting involved in these talks regarding NewGers in Div 1 we are doing that. I am glad to see David Beattie speaking out about all this and taking a stance that we have to listen to what is being said before making a decision. I don't think this instant 'No to Newco' chat is realistic, nor taking into account the affects of NewGers in Div 3 will ultimately have on our game.

One thing is certain. The influence of the OneThistle group, and a Board that are willing to listen is something we would never have had under the previous regime and I am glad we have this situation in place where the fans views are taken onboard and considered.

With no OF jointly blocking everything diddy clubs can unite to do this without compromising anything with Zombie Rangers.

The recent Club statement was put out in conjunction with the onethistle team.Its role in any future decision will be to ensure the fans are given as much opportunity to make there feelings known to the Club and vica versa to allow the Board of Directors to put forward there view.onethistle will not have any say in the debate (it it occurs) either way, its role is to ensure effective communications to the fans and allow there views to be heard.

We recognise that as well as the formal Supporters organisation there is a a wide array of fans groups which we will ensure we communicate with, I read that the Chairman of St Johnstone met with a Fans Forum Group last week.Plus we also recognise that not everyone can attend public meetings due to time and distance ,we will take this fact onboard when looking at a Communications strategy if required.

With 4 SPL clubs stating they will vote No on the 4th of July it looks very likely that a decision will require to be made by the SFL clubs. How soon do you think a meeting could be arranged and has there been any indication from the SFL when they would ask their member clubs to vote on the proposals that have been speculated on in the press?

Aberdeen make it officially 5 so whatever had been shaken on behind closed doors by SPL/SFL/SFA will soon be in the public domain as notonewco in SPL now a reality. I just hope Mr Beattie et al on the BOD take heed of the views of Thistle fans over this.

A meeting to be arranged as soon as possible with the fans as I would suggest?

Edited by Trotter

Aberdeen make it officially 5 so whatever had been shaken on behind closed doors by SPL/SFL/SFA will soon be in the public domain as notonewco in SPL now a reality. I just hope Mr Beattie et al on the BOD take heed of the views of Thistle fans over this.

A meeting to be arranged as soon as possible with the fans as I would suggest?

75% of the SFL clubs have to vote in favour of Newco coming in at Div 3 or else where according to Jim Spence, thats 22 or 23 clubs to approve it, do you think the Div3 clubs will vote for it??

75% of the SFL clubs have to vote in favour of Newco coming in at Div 3 or else where according to Jim Spence, thats 22 or 23 clubs to approve it, do you think the Div3 clubs will vote for it??

That's the thing I can't get over. It's a virtual certainty that they are not going to get the SPL share transferred. Any reconstruction deal is irrelevant if it doesn't get the appropriate support, and there just doesn't seem the time available to do that.

The most predictable and fairest way to do this (for me) would be to insist that any reconstruction happen in time for 2013/ 14 season. Anything that gets rushed through as an emergency measure carries the real risk of being flawed.

That's the thing I can't get over. It's a virtual certainty that they are not going to get the SPL share transferred. Any reconstruction deal is irrelevant if it doesn't get the appropriate support, and there just doesn't seem the time available to do that.

The most predictable and fairest way to do this (for me) would be to insist that any reconstruction happen in time for 2013/ 14 season. Anything that gets rushed through as an emergency measure carries the real risk of being flawed.

I have a sneaky suspicion, there wont be a newco in any division come August :thumbsup2::hypocrite:

This is my point where I've said before about SFL clubs holding the key in all of this. How much money do they see dripping down from SPL just now? What chance have they getting promoted to SPL with ground 'rules', 1 up/ 1 down etc? That's without mentioning how the SPL have shafted us in the past.

The current SPL clubs would have kept a form of RFC if it were up to club chairman alone - see Motherwell or tonight's ICT statement- but the fans have spoken, pressure has been applied & handshakes made behind the scenes that see them take a hit for the year with the Newco being admitted into the SFL1 & return, they hope, within a year.

What do we get in return for this? Promises of league reconstruction & bit more cash?

So, my point is this. What will SFL chairman be offered to admit a Newco RFC into the Scottish leagues? Like I said we see little or nothing at the moment & they are being offered so much to admit them into SFL 1. Imagine what would happen if the SFL chairman stuck to their guns & said we won't vote to admit a Newco RFC into SFL 3 unless...

Maybe it's just me....

Actually, from what I've been hearing, I think you may be right.

Hopefully we can claim some 'new' fans...

The guy thats been giving me the info since http://www.wearethistle.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/5258-hmrc-says-no/page__p__77428&do=findComment&comment=77428 all of 6 and a half month a go hasnt been far off the mark, hope its true this time

To me the most important thing at the moment is not to allow half baked and ill thought changes to be introduced in the guise of league re-construction when everyone knows they are simply a way of getting a certain club back in the top division ASAP. Any action of this type will no doubt damage the very tenuos grip football in Scotland still retains on the nations psyche.

It breaks my heart to think that the 'diddy' teams in the SPL have seen fit to do the right thing, only for my own club to appear to consider softening the blow for New Rangers by allowing them special treatment by admitting them to Div 1.

"If you want to go to heaven when you die....."

At the weekend, I sent an e-mail to the Board (it's below). I was furious then (and still am) so perhaps could have done it better with a calm head. Nevertheless, the sentiments are unchanged - if Scottish football is to have any credibility, any new club must start at the bottom. Would we be happy to accept Spartans into Div 1 in the manner suggested ? And no offence to them - they're more deserving ......... If there's any truth in this, I've got a bundle of things I can do at the weekend instead.

I’ve just read the Statement that you posted on the web-site where you offer the opinion that the current troubles at Rangers are nothing to do with Thistle, and also that any media reporting to the contrary is speculation. That appears to be contradicted by an article in today’s Daily Record which suggests that discussions have been held between representatives of the SPL, SFA and SFL ‘chiefs’ aimed at thrashing out a deal that sees the New Company / Club that is likely to replace Rangers being parachuted into Division 1.

I don’t set much store by anything I read in that publication but, given that the law of averages suggests they’ll get a story correct eventually, I’d like to let you know what I’d expect to happen if that were the case. Quite simply, I’d not only expect Partick Thistle to vote ‘No’ to this proposal, but I’d expect the Chairman to publicly go on record in the same way that the Hearts and Dundee Utd chairmen have done on the subject of the New Club’s application to the SPL.

My father took me to my first Thistle game (a 2-2 draw with Clyde about a month before the 1971 League Cup Final) and while I don’t currently have a season ticket, I reckon I’ve averaged about 25 games per season over those 40 years. That will end forever in the event that Thistle put cash before what is right for Scottish football and collude and conspire in the ripping-up of the rule book, simply to accommodate an entity which cheated it’s way through the past decade and a half. If the roles were reversed and we (or Falkirk or Morton or Montrose or any other team) had committed even a fraction of the crimes that have been documented, we’d have been back playing amateur football months ago.

You might argue that the financial benefits are too great to ignore. While I don’t think a sport can even consider putting money ahead of rules and integrity, even if you do the numbers won’t add up. Thistle might get a small slice of the TV pie for a year and perhaps benefit from a couple of bigger gates but I’d be interested to hear what your projections on those are. The days of Rangers and Celtic attracting crowds of 25,000 to Firhill are gone. Is it worth selling our soul for a couple of 9,000 gates and £50k (or whatever) from TV ? It might be worth considering how you’d budget for the day when / if they’re back in the SPL and gates drop back down, not to 3,000 but to 500 ? You might think that’s overly dramatic, but I think it’s conservative.

I urge you to take into account the views of the fans. This may be a rant (sorry – I’ve got angrier the more I type and think of other strands) but I’m certain this is a view shared by the over-whelming majority of Thistle fans, not to mention fans of other SPL / SFL teams. We are at a cross-roads and you have the opportunity to become involved in the biggest positive change in Scottish football for generations. You must not allow Thistle to make the wrong choice – if you do, you soon won’t have a club to run (and that would break my heart).

Vote No !!!!