Just How Good Is This Team ?

Jaggy1967

It's nice that people believe that the current side can draw a comparison with the 1971 team (and manager) but, for me, nothing can honestly compare to that side (or manager).

Depends how you define "compare". I'm not saying that Erskine is necessarily as good as McQuade, Paul Paton the new Ronnie Glavin or Scott Fox is going to earn 50 plus Scottish caps etc etc. But two young pacy sides gradually replacing a few old heads in the first team, playing refreshing open football but still with enough dig and nous to grind out the odd result. Two first time managers, who were much respected experienced ex players, bringing in fresh ideas and with definite opinions on how the game should be played, Two managers opting to give youth a chance in preference to bringing in the usual horses for courses jobbing professionals,

Imo I believe there's a lot in common with the circa 1971 squad and today's.

edited to add ......another thing in common, goals coming from throughout the team.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Depends how you define "compare". I'm not saying that Erskine is necessarily as good as McQuade, Paul Paton the new Ronnie Glavin or Scott Fox is going to earn 50 plus Scottish caps etc etc. But two young pacy sides gradually replacing a few old heads in the first team, playing refreshing open football but still with enough dig and nous to grind out the odd result. Two first time managers, who were much respected experienced ex players, bringing in fresh ideas and with definite opinions on how the game should be played, Two managers opting to give youth a chance in preference to bringing in the usual horses for courses jobbing professionals,

Imo I believe there's a lot in common with the circa 1971 squad and today's.

I'm coming more and more around to this! Several differences, of course, For example, We don't actually have a Coulston-Bone partnership, but think Jackie Campbell and Hugh Strachan as Aaron Muirhead and Archie, Erskine as McQuade, Lawless as Lawrie, O'Donnell and Sinclair as Hansen (not quite) and Forsyth, JM as Davie McP, Paton as Glavin (not quite) and it is an intriguing set of parallels.

Yesterday was a fantastic offensive performance and I also look back to the teams we had in the 70's, mid-90's and early-00's in comparison. This is a better squad than Lambie generated either time, I believe and plays in a completely different (and more exciting) way. It's just brilliant to watch.

That said, I echo the comments of Scottymagoo and Fearchar re our away form and our defensive performance. We looked pretty ropey at set pieces yesterday and the goal conceded was pretty dire, as bad as the two we shipped at Greenock.

It's hard to believe that we have scored only 5 goals away from home in the league when (Falkirk aside) you might expect teams to open up a bit and play to our strength. If we can start hitting the target on the road too, we'll rack up a few more scores like yesterday.

The loss of Fox has to be something to worry about. I'm not as down on Ryan Sculley as some on here, and I thought he was unlucky against Queens Park (though his early fluff at a pass-back must have encouraged the Spiders to have a go....) but regardless, he's obviously not as good as Scott Fox. The defence will either have to step up and give him better protection than he was afforded at Hampden, or he'll have to make the step up himself and eliminate the odd howler that he conceded last season.

Realistically, who could we see coming in as a temporary replacement for Fox?

Yesterday was the best display I've ever witnessed in 35 years supporting the Jags. The striking thing is that the Pars are likely to be our nearest challengers and we quite frankly blew them away.. In the league quite honestly I've not seen us have a bad game. Even our 3-1 defeat by morton owed more to 2 defensive abhorations, than lack of ability. Football supporters are famous for their lack of perspective, but I genuinelly feel there is more to come from this group of players. that's providing of course we don't loss the entire team come the transfer window.

This is something we can not allow to happen.

We have waited far too long to have a team of this quality on the park, i will be majorly feckin dissapointed if we lose our best players to the likes of Killie, Dungdee U or Motherwell.

These are teams right now we could play off the park.

Mr Beatie please do not let this happen !!

Yesterday was the best display I've ever witnessed in 35 years supporting the Jags. The striking thing is that the Pars are likely to be our nearest challengers and we quite frankly blew them away.. In the league quite honestly I've not seen us have a bad game. Even our 3-1 defeat by morton owed more to 2 defensive abhorations, than lack of ability. Football supporters are famous for their lack of perspective, but I genuinelly feel there is more to come from this group of players. that's providing of course we don't loss the entire team come the transfer window.

Unlikely to lose anyone in January. As usual there's only 2 teams in Scotland that can afford to buy players and one of those isn't allowed to!

We are playing consistently the best football I have seen in my 30 years following the Jags. If we could keep this team together, including management, I'd have no fears about heading up to the golden egg that is the SPL should we make it and would fear no-one and relish the season that was to lie ahead.

For me Stephen O'Donnell and Aaron Muirhead are just two that will prove very difficult to hold on to as there is no doubt there will be scouts heading to our games week in week out with the football we are playing.

We are playing consistently the best football I have seen in my 30 years following the Jags.

This.

Agree with the very many good points above. This team is playing for each other, for Jackie, for the Club, for the fans. We have strength, depth, flexibility and resilience.

Thistle are purring right now.

perhaps the real comparison is not with the 1971-72 side that won the league cup but the 1970-71 team that gained promotion by winning the old second division title. in my opinion, the class of 2012-13 is the more pleasing to the eye of the two formations when we're in 'barca' passing mode whereas davie mcp's tactics were far more direct though no less thrilling.

but in the years to come, alan, rough, john hansen, alex forsyth, ronnie glaving and jimmy bone all went on to become full scotland internationals (if memory serves, denis mcquade made it into the squad but may not have won a cap), while frank coulston was probably the most under-rated footballer in the land.

aaron muirhead, in particular, could well be an international in waiting and that is what is so exciting about the current team. their individual and combined potential is so vast that anything is possible...

perhaps the real comparison is not with the 1971-72 side that won the league cup but the 1970-71 team that gained promotion by winning the old second division title. in my opinion, the class of 2012-13 is the more pleasing to the eye of the two formations when we're in 'barca' passing mode whereas davie mcp's tactics were far more direct though no less thrilling.

but in the years to come, alan, rough, john hansen, alex forsyth, ronnie glaving and jimmy bone all went on to become full scotland internationals (if memory serves, denis mcquade made it into the squad but may not have won a cap), while frank coulston was probably the most under-rated footballer in the land.

aaron muirhead, in particular, could well be an international in waiting and that is what is so exciting about the current team. their individual and combined potential is so vast that anything is possible...

I seem to remember Denis McQuade at a Firhill dinner recounting his appearance (maybe as a sub?) against Brazil. But I don't see him in the Wiki list of international players. Can anybody clarify?

It's GREAT that people believe that the current side can draw a comparison with the 1971 team .. I now live in Altinkum Turkey..and was back for first 4 games of season and I said then they where good...I believe we DO have a better team now ... I followed that 70 side home and away we where good yes..but this side is better and Jackie is going to be a great manager .... some of the play is superb and we have a great team spirit you see that when we score.....

I seem to remember Denis McQuade at a Firhill dinner recounting his appearance (maybe as a sub?) against Brazil. But I don't see him in the Wiki list of international players. Can anybody clarify?

I saw him play for Scotland under 23s .. can't remember where (might have been Pittodrie) or against whom. I do have an idea he scored direct from a corner but I may be merging different games together. Anyone recall?

Edited by Mr Bunny

I saw him play for Scotland under 23s .. can't remember where (might have been Pittodrie) or against whom. I do have an idea he scored direct from a corner but I may be merging different games together. Anyone recall?

don't know about scoring direct from a corner but 'daft denis' scored for scotland under-23 v wales at pittodrie on january 26, 1972 (jimmy bone was also in the team...)

The best thing Thistle can do is to secure the entire team on fairly lengthy contracts. This may offer a bit of stability to the likes of Ross Forbes etc. Whilst I am not so sure that this squad is as good as the 71 team it has the potential to be as good as the team of around 1975 which contained the likes of Doug Somner, Joe Craig, Jim Melrose etc.

The first of the 71 team to be transferred was Jimmy Bone to Norwich City and after that Frank Coulston was never the same player again. Then I think it was Alex Forsyth to Man Utd, by then the team had lost its effectiveness so if we can avoid losing any of the first team squad for a good couple of years then Thistle could have a very bright future indeed.

I think it's been said before that to keep guys next season we'll need to be able to offer them SPL football which hopefully we will be in a position to do. We may lose a few to bigger name teams but we've managed to improve despite the loss of Cairney this year and if we can hold onto the manager then hopefully we can do the same again. In terms of losing MacNamara before the end of the season I don't see there being any significant opportunities arising North of the border that would be more appealing than the potential for silverware at Firhill (what's the point of fighting relegation to play in the SPL next year when you can win a Championship to do it) and then next season hopefully the challenge of SPL survival with the team he has built will keep him at Firhill for another season.

Edited by scottymagoo

I think it's been said before that to keep guys next season we'll need to be able to offer them SPL football which hopefully we will be in a position to do. We may lose a few to bigger name teams but we've managed to improve despite the loss of Cairney this year and if we can hold onto the manager then hopefully we can do the same again. In terms of losing MacNamara before the end of the season I don't see there being any significant opportunities arising North of the border that would be more appealing than the potential for silverware at Firhill (what's the point of fighting relegation to play in the SPL next year when you can win a Championship to do it) and then next season hopefully the challenge of SPL survival with the team he has built will keep him at Firhill for another season.

Cairney was so good for us last season that I was more than a little worried about having the same kind of driving force in the team this season. He's turning into a star for Hibs, but I don't actually miss him in the least.

Realistically, I don't think we can expect to hold on to any of our best players past the end of this season.

All I'm hoping for is that no one leaves in January, especially Jackie. If an SPL job comes up then Jackie is the prime candidate.

The silver lining would be that if any players do decide to move on, then maybe we could wipe out our debt entirely from the proceeds. A million for Muirhead and O'Donnell from an English club would not be unrealistic.

Problem is we don't realistically know what division we'll be playing in next season. It would be a massive gamble to sign up the out of contract players like Erskine on SPL wages only to pipped at the post for the promotion slot.

I think Darren Jackson (Erskine's agent) will be sorting out a move for him after Christmas...