Mcguigan

Chewsday

My mate plays for Albion Rovers and said McGuigan was absolutely quality for them. A massive gulp between them and Thistle this season but he's told me how he's noticed a big difference in quality between Guigsy and Elliot.

Surely worth maybe giving him a start in the cup at the weekend to see what he can do.

Edited by GinolasBald

I don't think Doolan is off the boil at all.

I would like to see more of McGuigan though.

Agree totally. How spoiled are we this season if folk think Doolan's not playing well? Thought he had a very good game on Saturday. He's scored 7 this season so it's not as if the goals have dried up for him either.

way we've been attacking down the wings we need a big man in the middle to get on the end of the crosses and Mcguigan is the ideal man, he won so manty balls in the air v Hamilton last game of last season so dont know why he isnt a regular first starter .

Because we started the season so fantastically he couldn't get in the team. We also signed Steven Craig which slid him down the pecking order a little. The loan spell at Albion Rovers has done wonders for his match fitness. He is only 8 months into a very high level of football. I have faith he'll come good and play a big part in our SPL campaign in 2013/14.

His goals at albion rovers and the reserves should mean he's full of confidence, but if Doolan is to be dropped for anyne it should be craig. Hopefully he can make an impact from the Bench

I'd agree with that. Start either Craig or Doolan on a form/horses for courses basis and have McGuigan coming on as an impact sub with Craig replacing Doolan (or vice versa) whenever the starting player shows signs of tiredness..

I remember reading that his height caused major problems for opposing defences when he was at Rovers. Not just because he's a logical target, but because he's so tall and the defence are so aware of his aerial threat they get distracted, allowing someone else to sneak in and score. He could be a really handy player against some of the stubborn defences we'll come up against this season (Falkirk, Hamilton, Cowden, etc.) if we're 70 minutes in and stumped.

• Like 1

I remember reading that his height caused major problems for opposing defences when he was at Rovers. Not just because he's a logical target, but because he's so tall and the defence are so aware of his aerial threat they get distracted, allowing someone else to sneak in and score. He could be a really handy player against some of the stubborn defences we'll come up against this season (Falkirk, Hamilton, Cowden, etc.) if we're 70 minutes in and stumped.

Yep. And for a big guy he also has nifty footwork and a quick turn of pace. I think he'll come good for us.

I don't see that he is ready to start ahead of Doolan yet.It's a closer call between Craig and McGuigan, but only because Craig has been. It looks like JM is making players win their place back rather coming back in automatically

Agreed. I don't think Doolan should be benched (yet). Very unlucky last Saturday. But who knows, if we're a couple of goals ahead on Saturday with 20 mins to play (anybody in the team can score!), then bring on both McGuigan and Craig!

It's important to remember that if we are unable to keep Craig beyond the New Year then McGuigan will have a big part to play and will get his chance to impress.

I read on another thread that we are not allowed to loan Craig in the New Year, i.e. County will have to release him to enable us to sign him as a free agent. It's unlikely that we could afford to match his current wages so County would have to offer him a severance payment.

I read on another thread that we are not allowed to loan Craig in the New Year, i.e. County will have to release him to enable us to sign him as a free agent. It's unlikely that we could afford to match his current wages so County would have to offer him a severance payment.

Correct, I believe County will have to pay him off but I reckon there is every chance they will do this. No use to them sitting in the stand.

Derek Adams was quoted a few weeks ago saying that he intends to bring new faces in during January but, to do so, he'll need to let players go. I don't think Craig will be too difficult to deal with in terms of agreeing his release but whether we can afford him or not is another question. Definitely a player I could see Dunfermline going for...

Derek Adams was quoted a few weeks ago saying that he intends to bring new faces in during January but, to do so, he'll need to let players go. I don't think Craig will be too difficult to deal with in terms of agreeing his release but whether we can afford him or not is another question. Definitely a player I could see Dunfermline going for...

The certainly couldn't afford him, but no reason to think that would stop them.