Penalty Misses

Jaggernaut

Forbes' miss on Saturday might well have cost us £KKK.

Donnelly's miss against the xxxx at Ibrox likewise.

Apart from the classic shoot-out against the tims at Porkheid years ago, are there any other notable penalty misses that come to mind?

Hibs have put us out a cup on penalties, in the early to mid 90's.

just saying.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, one of the worst Thistle teams i have ever had the misfortune to pay to watch stole a place in the 1st division by beating Peterhead on penalty kicks.

Forbes' miss on Saturday might well have cost us £KKK.

Donnelly's miss against the xxxx at Ibrox likewise.

Apart from the classic shoot-out against the tims at Porkheid years ago, are there any other notable penalty misses that come to mind?

Could equally say that Conrad's missed header on the stroke of half time cost us.

If Muirhead hadn't got sent off, I'm pretty sure we'd have won and I'd say that's really what cost us the tie.

Did their keeper not break his arm in that game and play on? Might be totally mistaken though!

Back when players were tough!

I remember posting an article/interview with ex-Liverpool defender (and hardpan) Tommy Smith a few years ago. It was brilliant in its lambasting of today's mollycoddled "poofs" (Smith's description) who pass themselves off as players. Wish I could find it again.

I think I'm right in saying Forbes has never scored a penalty in senior football. He also missed one against Rangers (as they then were) late in a league game at Fir Park which cost Motherwell two points.

You'd be incorrect. He has scored 3 penalties. Couldn't tell you how many he's missed.

His 3 penalties he scored were:

Motherwell v Kilmarnock - 22/08/09

Dundee Utd v Motherwell - 19/08/09

St. Mirren v Motherwell - 24/10/09

Only a gut feeling but I get the impression over the last ten years or so we've done better out of penalties (including shoot outs) than those taking penalties against us. Would have to be a hell of an anorak to know for certain tho'.

I feel I can say with some certainty that the penalties scored and saved up at Peterhead have had the greatest effect on the Club's fortunes.

Only a gut feeling but I get the impression over the last ten years or so we've done better out of penalties (including shoot outs) than those taking penalties against us. Would have to be a hell of an anorak to know for certain tho'.

I feel I can say with some certainty that the penalties scored and saved up at Peterhead have had the greatest effect on the Club's fortunes.

Dick Campbell's teams were utterly woeful to watch, but they could win a penalty shoot out.

He missed a penalty at Starks Park which would have given us the win.

Was it a 0-0? Must have been fairly ealy in the season as I remember the other game at Raith being on a freezing cold February night. When Sandy Hodge scored with a header it was the only Jags goal I have not been able to celebrate properly as I had just taken delivery of a steaming hot Bovril (other beef drinks were no doubt available). Jimmy Gibson scored the winner with a speculative shot which took a strange bounce and mesmerised the goalkeeper.

Was it a 0-0? Must have been fairly ealy in the season as I remember the other game at Raith being on a freezing cold February night. When Sandy Hodge scored with a header it was the only Jags goal I have not been able to celebrate properly as I had just taken delivery of a steaming hot Bovril (other beef drinks were no doubt available). Jimmy Gibson scored the winner with a speculative shot which took a strange bounce and mesmerised the goalkeeper.

Nope. It was a 1-1 draw. Jukka Santala/Ally Brown had scored for us. Santala hit a shot from 20 yards, hit the post and Ally Brown deflected it into his own net.

Kilgannon missed a penalty with around 25 minutes to go after Mark Roberts had been fouled. Stuck it past the goalies right hand post, up at "our" end.

Did not Paul Cairney miss a penalty at Dundee last season but still scored a hat trick, including another penalty?

Yes. Rab Douglas saved Cairneys penalty when it was 1-0. Cairney scored his second penalty of the game(and third that season at Dens) late on. Got booked for posing for the camera in a celebration.

Nope. It was a 1-1 draw. Jukka Santala/Ally Brown had scored for us. Santala hit a shot from 20 yards, hit the post and Ally Brown deflected it into his own net.

How could I have forgotten that Santala slow motion shot and Brown's equally slow motion fumble into the net!?

Another painful missed penalty has been recalled to memory.

Mark Roberts near the beginning of a League Cup tie at Firhill at which point we were totally dominating Aberdeen. The miss rather knocked the wind from our sails and Aberdeen gradually assumed control and won 2-0.

Another painful missed penalty has been recalled to memory.

Mark Roberts near the beginning of a League Cup tie at Firhill at which point we were totally dominating Aberdeen. The miss rather knocked the wind from our sails and Aberdeen gradually assumed control and won 2-0.

I don't know if that was Roberts second penalty miss of the season or he went on to miss another but it was instrumental in Donnelly being given the spot kick responsibility later in the season. Of course Sid then missed against Rangers in the cup replay.

Anyone know if Roberts miss against Aberdeen was the last penalty we had prior to the one at the Rangers replay? I can't remember us getting awarded many penalties back then 'cept the one against Dundee that the linesman helped overrule.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Could equally say that Conrad's missed header on the stroke of half time cost us.

If Muirhead hadn't got sent off, I'm pretty sure we'd have won and I'd say that's really what cost us the tie.

If Muirhead hadn't got sent off, he'd have been the penalty taker in the absence of Welsh.