Erskine... To Motherwell

Watson Towers

I would hope we can hang onto the whole squad until season end - however the vultures/scouts have been circling for a while ... and the lure of a bigger weekly pay packet may be too much for some of the lads to resist.

Would be good to hear Jackie/board put up the shutters and firmly state that no-one is for sale in January.

I would hope we can hang onto the whole squad until season end - however the vultures/scouts have been circling for a while ... and the lure of a bigger weekly pay packet may be too much for some of the lads to resist.

Would be good to hear Jackie/board put up the shutters and firmly state that no-one is for sale in January.

With freedom of contract in place - everyone is for sale, even if only on pre-contract, no matter what the board/manager may say or wish.

bottom line with crowds of 3 - 3,500 we can't pay our players much

I spoke to Chris at the xmas party last week. He stated he would not be going anywhere in January. He stated he has chance of two winners medals and wants to finish the job off. He would not speculate on his future in summer but stated if anyone came in from him (and Hibs rumour was doing the rounds) in January, he would refuse to leave.

Now I appreciate he may just have said that to keep a fan happy but he came across as very sincere. Dools was also the same.

• Like 3

How could he do that before January? Does a contract ending in May mean a player can start talking to other clubs in the December?

Technically he can't sign anything until the window opens, in reality clubs and agents talk.

Anyone know where I can buy some cheap rope? :split:

Edited by uberteeb

If Chris leaves it will be down south. There is interest from atleast 1 Championship club

I would be distraught if he left us for anybody, but the chance to see him weave his magic at Bloomfield Rd, on the odd occasion when my mate goes on holiday and asks me if I want to use his season ticket, might assuage the blow a fraction.

I'd be surprised if he's done this. I do worry that even if we win promotion we'll struggle to compete in wages with many other SPL clubs. I wouldn't tho' think that we'd be that much off what Motherwell can offer.

Chris is in his mid twenties and his next move will be very important to him. Tied on contract to a club like Motherwell could mean that's as high as he'll get in the game.

I'd be surprised if he's done this. I do worry that even if we win promotion we'll struggle to compete in wages with many other SPL clubs. I wouldn't tho' think that we'd be that much off what Motherwell can offer.

Chris is in his mid twenties and his next move will be very important to him. Tied on contract to a club like Motherwell could mean that's as high as he'll get in the game.

Genuine question IOB, what do you think the average wage of a team like Motherwell is on a weekly basis?

baring in mind my local team have next to no debt, have a stadium that has very little outgoings, yet pay the 2nd lowest wage in the SPL ahead of Dundee... their top earners earn £2K a week basic...

Could we even come close to paying that wage when you cosider the debt we have to service and the running costs we have on the ground?

when you consider the likes of Hibs and motherwell are mid table wage payers, there is no way we could consider to even come close to what they pay.

Thats the reality... it hurts, but its a sad fact that we are no longer a "big team", neither in stature or finance.

Genuine question IOB, what do you think the average wage of a team like Motherwell is on a weekly basis?

baring in mind my local team have next to no debt, have a stadium that has very little outgoings, yet pay the 2nd lowest wage in the SPL ahead of Dundee... their top earners earn £2K a week basic...

Could we even come close to paying that wage when you cosider the debt we have to service and the running costs we have on the ground?

when you consider the likes of Hibs and motherwell are mid table wage payers, there is no way we could consider to even come close to what they pay.

Thats the reality... it hurts, but its a sad fact that we are no longer a "big team", neither in stature or finance.

Realise most of that, Dave, but as a specific I was under the impression that Motherwell struggled with wages.

Would be truely gutted if we lost Paton, more so than any other player I think. Erskine is great to watch but can be extremely hit and miss and is therefore no where near as crucial as Paton who gives 110% every match. Paton is player of the year so far for me. O'Donnell and Muirhead closely behind but good centre/right backs are easier to come by than a midfielder with Paton's attitude.

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong, I do think Erskine is great and every team needs a game changer - would be a big loss.

Edited by read'n'yell

Could some of these SPL clubs not start looking at our friends from Dunfermline - many of their players will be itching for a move if they are not getting paid properly or our chums from Greenock say Tidser, Archie Campbell etc rather than cherry picking ours

Incidentally if we lose Craig and Doolan and provided Dunfermlien are still mucking players about think we could do a lot worse that Ryan Wallace, still young and capable of goals or even John Baird who never seems to have got much of a chance at Dundee

Edited by Third Lanark