January Transfer Window

jagfox

I'm not at the wind-up.

The only thing i got wrong was not realising that Dundee United were in the bottom 6, which they shouldnt be, based on their last few seasons.

So your saying you would take Russell now? How should they not be in the bottom 6 , it's based on this years form, that's like saying thistle shouldn't be in the top 2 based on the last few seasons. You talk shit at times

So your saying you would take Russell now? How should they not be in the bottom 6 , it's based on this years form, that's like saying thistle shouldn't be in the top 2 based on the last few seasons. You talk shit at times

Nope. I wouldn't take Russell. From what i have seen of him, which is limited, he hasn't looked good. His stats are impressive but so are Brian Grahams and i wouldn't take him either.

They shouldn't be in the bottom 6 based on the players they have. Some teams have bad seasons. Some teams have good seasons, like Thistle.

Says the guy who claimed Ross County were messing around with Craig but the deal was confirmed as soon as the SFA offices opened... :rolleyes:

Nope. I wouldn't take Russell. From what i have seen of him, which is limited, he hasn't looked good. His stats are impressive but so are Brian Grahams and i wouldn't take him either.

They shouldn't be in the bottom 6 based on the players they have. Some teams have bad seasons. Some teams have good seasons, like Thistle.

Says the guy who claimed Ross County were messing around with Craig but the deal was confirmed as soon as the SFA offices opened... :rolleyes:

you wouldn't take Russell or Graham? What planet are you on? :wacko:

In my opinion, a personal opinion can be wrong such as racist personal opinions, but then that's just my opinion. At the end of the day though if G SUS rates Doolan that highly then that's up to him, no need to crucify him for it, it's not terribly offensive stuff. It's always worth taking into account that transfers often don't work out and when you have a player who slots in effectively to the current system and is scoring goals it's often better the devil you know. I'd always go for the player proven at higher level although at Thompsons age it's possibly not such great value, Sutton is off the boil and Beattie has failed to settle anywhere so can see why someboday would see things the other way. For me Daly and Russell are a no brainer, both are proven at SPL level and still have years left in them. Neither is going to be offered to Thistle any time soon though.

Edited by scottymagoo

In my opinion, a personal opinion can be wrong such as racist personal opinions, but then that's just my opinion. At the end of the day though if G SUS rates Doolan that highly then that's up to him, no need to crucify him for it, it's not terribly offensive stuff. It's always worth taking into account that transfers often don't work out and when you have a player who slots in effectively to the current system and is scoring goals it's often better the devil you know. I'd always go for the player proven at higher level although at Thompsons age it's possibly not such great value, Sutton is off the boil and Beattie has failed to settle anywhere so can see why someboday would see things the other way. For me Daly and Russell are a no brainer, both are proven at SPL level and still have years left in them. Neither is going to be offered to Thistle any time soon though.

It's my opinion that you're opinion that a personal opinion can be wrong is correct but then again that's just my opinion.

Much as I love Doolan, it's very unlikely anyone is going to offer us a seven figure sum for him which is why you must be seriously barking mad to rate him above Russell.

On current form, I'd take Brian Graham at Firhill. He gave our defence a torrid time and was very unlucky to only score once against us.

On current form, I'd take Brian Graham at Firhill. He gave our defence a torrid time and was very unlucky to only score once against us.

I like the look of Spence as well, quick and surefooted with an eye for goal. He is also quite young, 22 years old? It would be good to bring in one or two players if possible. Get them bedded in before the summer and whatever that brings.

Edited by jagfox

I like the look of Spence as well, quick and surefooted with an eye for goal. He is also quite young, 22 years old? It would be good to bring in one or two players if possible. Get them bedded in before the summer and whatever that brings.

Spence appears to be player that makes Graham tick, Of the two I'd take Spence.

you wouldn't take Russell or Graham? What planet are you on? :wacko:

I'll concede your point on Russell. Clearly others have seen more of him than me and rate him highly.

Why would you take Brian Graham over Doolan? Brian Graham has had 1 good year. That's it. In 2012 he scored 18 league goals. In 2011 he scored 8(EIGHT). He's on a purple patch, similar to Steven Thompson, which will end soon and show him for what he is. A substandard first division player.

I'll concede your point on Russell. Clearly others have seen more of him than me and rate him highly.

Why would you take Brian Graham over Doolan? Brian Graham has had 1 good year. That's it. In 2012 he scored 18 league goals. In 2011 he scored 8(EIGHT). He's on a purple patch, similar to Steven Thompson, which will end soon and show him for what he is. A substandard first division player.

Dont think anyone is suggesting Graham ahead of Doolan. I said I'd take him at Thistle, not that I'd prefer him to Doolan (or Craig for that matter) I'd swap him for Christie Elliot.

Dont think anyone is suggesting Graham ahead of Doolan. I said I'd take him at Thistle, not that I'd prefer him to Doolan (or Craig for that matter) I'd swap him for Christie Elliot.

Eh, i know that. I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the claim that people would swap Doolan for Graham. The original question was "would you swap Baird for Doolan all things being equal", which is when I said i wouldn't swap Doolan for anyone in the bottom 6 of the SPL. I thought we were still comparing players in a direct swap.

Slane going back to Celtic.

Smith likely to be released.

Halsman, Craigen and Elliot returning from loan.

Craig signs on until the end of the season.

Rowson out to Stennie for a month, maybe with a view to a longer spell?

Anyone reckon there will be any more ins or outs this month? I guess any signings would follow players moving on?

Anyone reckon there will be any more ins or outs this month? I guess any signings would follow players moving on?

I dont see any more coming in unless we sell someone.

halsman craigen and elliott wont even get near our bench for the rest of the season they are aswell as staying out on loan,if we have a starting 11 of fox,o donnell muirhead archie sinclair,paton forbes welsh lawless erskine,craig. a bench or reserve pool of scully, murray,doolan mcguigan, balatoni rowson bannigan then that will be plenty to go with.

Every season we see a lot of players moving on, some of which we think will leave a big hole. Cairney being the last, and great last season that he had we've not really missed him.

I'm being positive and think regardless who goes, Jackie will have able replacements waiting in the wings. Fortunately in Jackie we have a manager who clearly plans ahead, whereas us fans tend to wet our pants and think our promotion chances are doomed at any thought of change.

We will be fine.

• Like 1

I never said take Graham over Doolan, i said i would take Graham. he's not in the spl so your statement about a swap isn't valid in his case ;-)

I never said take Graham over Doolan, i said i would take Graham. he's not in the spl so your statement about a swap isn't valid in his case ;-)

I wouldn't swap Doolan for any other striker, either in the bottom 6 of the SPL or any other striker in Division 1. That's how highly i rate him.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say Thompson is having a purple patch?

Certainly. In 2012 Stephen Thompson has scored 18 SPL goals in 2012. This is almost double of any other calender year(Only comparing SPL as that's a fair, balanced ground), which includes a 3 year spell at Rangers!!

G SUS, honestly mate, read back through your posts. Every thread you wade into is the same - a good laugh for the rest of us.

I'm glad I provide you with your entertainment. The world would be a very boring place if we all had the same opinion.

It seems you rate him higher than the manager then as he is clearly not our 1st choice striker now :hypocrite:

Doolan is not our "1st choice striker" for 2 reasons: 1. Craig is scoring goals and 2. McNamara's policy that the player in possession of the jersey keeps it, unless they do horrendous. Our striker changes have been made due to injury or suspension. When Craig came back from his injury/suspension he got in the team because Doolan hadn't scored in his 4 games.

In SFL Doolan has 5 goals in 541 minutes, while Craig has 5 in 560 minutes. Both very respectable records and very similar for very different types of striker. In each of our last 2 seasons Doolan has scored more goals in the second half of the season than the first half.

TL:DR version. Both strikers are doing very well for us, but just because a striker is "off-form" doesn't make him bad.

Edited by G SUS