Archie And Scott Paterson

stuart_adam

Oh for fuk sake...hopefully some shoddy journalism started by agents

http://www.dailyreco...ourites-1568366

There arent even candidates...never mind favourites

Old pals act going on there: they both will have strong contacts in the media (especially the Daily Rangers) and can get free publicity for themselves whenever they need it - like pushing themselves for a job. Would hope neither is anywhere near the thoughts of the board.

Jagfox - agree.

And the situation re Archie/Shaggie v Gerry/Delboy is also different in that Archie has been well involved as part of the coaching team all season and Shaggy has coached too. (I realise Gerry may have done a wee bit coaching before he became part of the deadly duo but I believe it was minimal, fringe stuff).

I think it's clear too that Archie is well liked and respected by the rest of the team.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Oh for fuk sake...hopefully some shoddy journalism started by agents

http://www.dailyreco...ourites-1568366

There arent even candidates...never mind favourites

:happy3: :happy3: :happy3: If the board even let them in the building then they would deserve everything that would come to them. NOT HAPPENING.......................(I hope!)

And the situation re Archie/Shaggie v Gerry/Delboy is also different in that Archie has been well involved as part of the coaching team all season and Shaggy has coached too. (I realise Gerry may have done a wee bit coaching before he became part of the deadly duo but I believe it was minimal, fringe stuff).

I think it's clear too that Archie is well liked and respected by the rest of the team.

Surely that's what Shaggy will be doing!

I ******* hate The Record. They are so desperate for Dodds to get a job.

I would actually be livid if he got the job. I wouldn't give him any chance to prove himself.

I don't even think I could go back to Firhill without projectile vomiting onto the pitch as soon as I saw him.

His Sevco apologies and the way he tried to put Dundee out of business during their administration then jumped on the side of Sevco during there's was appalling.

A wee rat of a man.

It's the Daily Record - not a real newspaper.

"Dodds, 43, retired as a player at Firhill in 2006 and is hoping the club will give him his big break as a boss."

WHY WOULD WE WANT TO GIVE A 'BIG BREAK' TO HIM?

IF HE DOES EVEN MODERATELY WELL HE'LL JUMP SHIP FIRST CHANCE HE GETS - JUST LIKE McNAMARA!!!

Let Archie balls it up if he wants. At least he's a Jags man.

I ******* hate The Record. They are so desperate for Dodds to get a job.

I must own up when I say I'm also desperate for Dodds to get a job. Not with us but anywhere else. Just to get him off the feckin' radio and telly.

If there's one way to get unconvinced fans behind Archie and Shaggy, it's by suggesting Gus MacPherson and Billy Dodds are front-runners for the permanent job.

:thumbsup2: Beat me to it. And better phrased than I would have put it.

• Like 1

Jags’ board will meet on Monday to discuss the candidates when chairman David Beattie returns from holiday.

How come whenever any manager moves on from any club, it's always reported that the chairman must come back from holiday before a decision is made.

Is there a correlation between Chairmen going on holiday and managers moving clubs?

As I said elsewhere, my dislike for Billy Dodds as a footballer and media personality is one of the few things that outweigh my lifelong affection for Thistle right now.

If he's appointed there'll be one fan less to moan about the coffee. :hypocrite: Joking apart, what a horrible prospect.

Edited by McKennan

As I said elsewhere, my dislike for Billy Dodds as a footballer and media personality is one of the few things that outweigh my lifelong affection for Thistle right now.

Billy Dodds – I have no desire to see him here as a manager. As a media pundit, his comments range from the bizarre to the unintelligible, although I must confess that I am sure I have heard him utter sense on a few occasions – must be the law of averages I guess.

However, although he has many sins as a player, we should not forget his two magic moments in a Thistle jersey

1) In his first spell, 4 goals on Boxing Day against East Fife which I am pretty sure resulted in “back page headlines” (for younger readers, people used to have to read paper sheets to get any form of news, so this was a big thing!)

2) In his second spell, he got shoved in the back at Inverness. That doesn’t seem like that consequential to the Thistle universe, but we got a very late penalty and Mark Roberts secured a 2-2 draw in the Scottish Cup. That led to a live replay on Sky and more cash. The replay was duly won on penalties (our first EVER win of any kind on live TV) and we got another live Sky game in the next round plus a share of the cash from Tynecastle. These funds secured full-time football for the following season.

Would Billy Dodds really be that bad? Ignore his comments on Rangers and look at other aspects going for him.

Played football with Chelsea for three years (all be it he only played three times but he has seen how the top clubs operate).

Multiple caps for Scotland and spent whole career at high level.

Has good contacts throughout the game.

Would never leave his safe job in the media unless he was sure he could do a good job.

Would have his reputation to preserve.

Don't get me wrong, he isn't my first choice but we could do worse. Dundee United were very impressed therefore I don't see how we could turn our nose up at him. Certainly wouldn't stop going to games or the likes people have suggested on here. I'm actually a bit surprised he would want to come here - thought he would hang on till a spl job comes up. Probably sees us as his quickest route to the spl should this season go well. Taking a big chance but for both us and him.

It's the Daily Record - not a real newspaper.

"Dodds, 43, retired as a player at Firhill in 2006 and is hoping the club will give him his big break as a boss."

WHY WOULD WE WANT TO GIVE A 'BIG BREAK' TO HIM?

True, true. Shouldn't we instead give it to someone we believe will do a good job? Giving out breaks is for charities.

Let's not forget that McNamara was a successful appointment for us - that's the reason he's gone. I would be surprised if the Board decided to completely change direction and go for a hack like McPherson, with abysmal football and a pretty questionable record, so I would assume it's his pals in the Record touting him for the job - just when you thought that esteemed publication couldn't be more contemptable.

As for Dodds, well like others I don't want him, purely because I don't like him. If we're going down the route of a young, inexperienced manager, then I don't see why Archie wouldn't be a candidate. He knows the players, he has been doing some coaching with them already, and the squad clearly likes and respects him. If they decide to go for someone with managerial experience, then Johnson or McKinnon would both be preferable, although involving compensation. After some of his Sunday Herald 'columns' and overall defence of Rangers/Sevco, I don't want Dodds within a mile of Firhill. I wouldn't even give him a complimentary ticket to a game.

How come whenever any manager moves on from any club, it's always reported that the chairman must come back from holiday before a decision is made.

Is there a correlation between Chairmen going on holiday and managers moving clubs?

They probably have to say that to get the papers off their backs pushing dodgy candidates for the post cause their they're the reporters' mates.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Archie made it clear he has no interest in management, only coaching. Doesn't like the media attention. No link but believe this was about a year ago.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/partick-thistle-defender-alan-archibald-1464627

Just says he wasn't ready for it just yet. I'd find it strange he'd accept the interim managers role if he hated the role so much.

I don't share the hostility towards Billy Dodds...sure he's a Rangers apologist and clearly not an intellectual giant...but he's a football enthusiast and he has mentioned recently on Radio Scotland that he was taking his son to Firhill as the boy was a Thistle fan.

He wouldn't be close to my first choice as manager though...and I'm happy to see how it works out for Archie and Scott so there isn't a current vacancy at present anyway.

From this article, I also get the feeling that Archie doesn't see himself as a manager:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/sfl/archie-looks-to-present-as-he-fights-for-jags-future-114380n.20063819

I really wanted to hear him say things about having a good squad, still believing, picking up the team, stuff that I believe good managers do naturally - they look forward with belief. But Archie is far more reflective of the problems, still bitter and struggling to move on. He also seems flustered by the whole thing. I realise it's too early to judge, so it will be interesting to see how he matures into the role in the coming weeks.

If you have concnerns about the appoinment of McPherson, McIntyre, Calderwood or whoever - no harm in emailing the club or Beattie - as a fan your entitled to your viewpoint and they can either ignore it or take it into consideration, if they end up going with someone like McPherson they cant claim its the fans popular choice.

Personally a McPherson, Dodds, or McIntyre smells of desperation - someone they can get on the cheap. My own opinion would have been Hartley someone relatively young, ambition, good contacts and who I personally believe will take the club far and who the board should not be frightened of spending money to get - I dont think any compensation to Alloa would match even half what Dundee United gave us for Jackie. Obviously everyone has their own opinion on who they would like as replacement anyway.