Best Thistle Goal Ever

PTFC1942

......mines is, if I mind right!

is Isaac English's 35/40 yarder against the h*ns!

?? did Zak no do it twice in different games come to think of it??

I'm sure we printed it on Sick in the Basins front page with a pint tumbler in his mitt!!!

He ran the full length of the park getting chased by Chico & Gerry!!!

need to look this up!

Edited by Davie Thistle

So many tasty memories and descriptions on this thread! The original poster's description of Davidson's goal at the hunnery makes me wish I'd seen it.

But for me, in spite of all the other memorable ones that have been mentioned, it's got to be Dan McLindon's. I'd never seen anybody beat so many men in a mazy run starting in his own half and then plant the ball in the net.

Oh, and just for completeness, anybody else remember Donnie McKinnon's one and only goal, against Hibs at Firhill? A bullet header from a corner, from somewhere around the penalty spot.

• Like 1

Christ what a question!!! Shaggys against ICT....gereee's against Dundee!! that was macoroni yer undergarments time!!

Seem to remember a john flood one v airdrie from near enough the half way line as well around 1988-89

edit..had to be done!

Edited by Chicofan
  • Like 1

August 21 1974 - Denis v. Clyde at Firhill, best goal I have ever seen a Thistle player score - description in cuttings attached does not do it full justice but I'm sure some folk on here will remember it as a truly fantastic goal.

http://news.google.c...frontpage&hl=en

http://news.google.c...frontpage&hl=en

Most certainly was! Wonderful goal and was the one that I thought of when I saw the thread title. Also remember a fantastic Alex O'Hara diving header at Parkhead. Think it was a League Cup Quarter Final 2nd leg. Completely robbed over the 2 legs by the most one-sided refereeing you can imagine.

Oh aye, despite having flicked us the double vicky at Cappielow, Ian Jardine should be remebered for a few absolute screamers. And while I'm on a roll John Donnely once scored from a free kick that was nearer halfway than the goal; midweek 3-1 win at Brechin. Nobody could beleive he was taking the shot on; flew straight in the top corner.

Not sure if they're the best ever Thistle goals but some of my favourites are:

• Juan Ramon's header against Airdrie. Great cross from the anti-christ, Kenny Milne, and an absolutely belting header from just inside the box right into the top corner.
  • Dorrans' overhead kick against Peterhead. Rotten game, outplayed on a midweek evening but sublime goal. If we're talking about best goals, then I'd say that's the best goal I've seen, technique-wise.
  • James McKinstry against Clyde. Stoater with his left foot.
  • Shaggy against Caley in the Scottish Cup at Firhill. His recent return has reminded me of what a tremendously cool guy he is. Hero.
  • Forbes' goal against Dunfermline this season. Terrific technique to pick it out the sky and then ping it into the top corner.
  • SOD's goal against Dunfermline. A move that was synonymous with the sort of football Jackie had us playing. Great finish that would have had the media creaming themselves had Messi done it.
  • Gerry's against Dundee. No explanation needed.
  • Andy Gibson's winner at Dundee, just for the euphoria afterwards.
  • Any of the Hoor's goals, particularly the one against Hearts.
  • Any of Boab's free kicks.
  • Erskine's chip against Falkirk.
  • Harkins chip at Firhill, can't remember who it was against.

That's some off the top of my head. Like I said, best one for me is Dorrans.

Edited by Armand2

• Any of Boab's free kicks.

I seem to remember him scoring a great goal from open play. But I don't remember who it was against so hopefully someone can help me out with this. Basically, he took the ball from his own half and dribbled towards the edge of their box, beating quite a few players before blasting it past the keeper. Any ideas?

• Members

I seem to remember him scoring a great goal from open play. But I don't remember who it was against so hopefully someone can help me out with this. Basically, he took the ball from his own half and dribbled towards the edge of their box, beating quite a few players before blasting it past the keeper. Any ideas?

Alloa seems to ring a bell. Seem to remember it was a fightback from 3-1 down to bring it back to 3-3?

Alloa at home. Weekend before Christmas.

We were 3-2 down and won 4-3.

Peter Lindau's third of his hat-trick to clinch promotion against Stirling. Receiving ball with back to goal. Amazing close control and twisting this way and that to create space where before there was none, before planting the ball past the keeper.

Scott Chaplain volley at Broadwood.

Danny Lennon against Stirling on the second coldest day in history (after the night at Alloa).

Danny Lennon against Inverness at the end of a lovely geometric move of angled passes (Swansea style).

Peter Lindau's third of his hat-trick to clinch promotion against Stirling. Receiving ball with back to goal. Amazing close control and twisting this way and that to create space where before there was none, before planting the ball past the keeper.

Yep, up there with the very best of them. If Henrick had scored that goal, it would never have been off the telly!

There really was only one Swede in Glasgow!!

• Like 1

others not mentioned so far that I can see

Pat Kelly (mk I) at Brockville on Christmas Eve.

Gary Peebles from 40 yards at Forfar

David Elliot at Raith in a 5-1 win at Starks

Grant Tierney's overhead kick in a 5-1 defeat at Easter Road

Archie's thunderbolt vs Stenny on Boxing day, nearly broke the post and took the back of the net away.

Dorrans' is probably the best in terms of technique but meant little. Gerry's goal vs Dundee in the cup was probably the best combination of technique and importance.

In years to come when this subject comes up, folk will mention one or two of Chris Erskines goals!

...in particular his second one against Morton on 16th Feb 2013 at Crappielow, having brought down a sensational diagonal through ball from Ross Forbes, turned past the two defenders still inside their half and slotted an immaculate low drive past the stunned home keeper. And the fact it was in the 94th minute as the home side had begun throwing the kitchen sink at the Jags in pursuit of a desperately needed equaliser. . .

David Elliot at Raith in a 5-1 win at Starks

That's the first goal I thought of when I saw the thread title. We scored some crackers that day but Elliot's is up there with the finest goals scored by any team I've seen. Took the ball in his own half, beat half the Raith team before finishing. Wish I had a recording of it.

• Like 1

A few more from the memory banks.

Andy Lyons 3rd goal in 3-0 home win v Ayr in the Save the Jags season. Took off from the near (to the JHS) corner of the halfway line in weaving run during which he beat around 13 players before squeezing the ball past the goalie and embarking on a safely excuted Klinsman dive into a puddle.

Late winner by Mark Roberts at Firhill in near end of season 1-0 success against Dundee which destroyed their promotion hopes. Excellent team move in which Marc Twaddle had some involvement before Roberts did some neat footwork and lifted the ball over the goalie.

Amazing Darren Brady (yes-him!) lob in early season cup tie at Dens Park (reminiscent of Cairney last season v Falkirk as already mentioned). We won 3-1 with Billy Gibson and Scott Boyd also scoring.

Some goals are more memorable for their celebration value than their quality. These two come from our turning of the tide season in the 2nd Division which laid the groundwork for the two forthcoming consecutive promotions. It is difficult to recall how depressed the support was at that time. Our first season in the 2nd Division had stumbled to an inglorious conclusion and we had a horrendous start to the next campaign (5 points from first 10 games). So, although these may not sound like spectacular results, in their context they were huge!

A very young Derek Lyle robbing George Rowe and running away to finish and clinch a 2-1 victory in a bottom of the table encounter at Queen of the South.

Albert Craig ghosting in for a last second winner at Firhill against Stirling Albion (it was so sweet as it had happened against us so many times!).

If there was a category for best double salvo, it would have to be Alan Archibald's stunning volleyed brace at home against Hearts in the Premier League. More of the same today, Archie!

Edited by partickthedog