Best Thistle Goal Ever

PTFC1942

Some goals are more memorable for their celebration value than their quality.

Exactly! Often times it's the context more than the quality. That match against Ayr, where they went one-nil up at Firhill, then Mark McNulty got himself sent off ... and the away crowd kept singing, "Ayr, Ayr, Super Ayr ..." ... until we pulled it back, to one each, and then into a two-one victory ... and the shout became louder and LOUDER ... "Ayr, Ayr f**k Yer Ayr ..." Perhaps not the greatest goals, but the greatest feeling engendered in the support ...

Cannae beat it ...

Mon, mon, mon the Jags ... Whae's like us?

Exactly! Often times it's the context more than the quality. That match against Ayr, where they went one-nil up at Firhill, then Mark McNulty got himself sent off ... and the away crowd kept singing, "Ayr, Ayr, Super Ayr ..." ... until we pulled it back, to one each, and then into a two-one victory ... and the shout became louder and LOUDER ... "Ayr, Ayr f**k Yer Ayr ..." Perhaps not the greatest goals, but the greatest feeling engendered in the support ...

Cannae beat it ...

Mon, mon, mon the Jags ... Whae's like us?

That's why we go to football......that surge of adrenalin when we score...sheer joy!!!

August 21 1974 - Denis v. Clyde at Firhill, best goal I have ever seen a Thistle player score - description in cuttings attached does not do it full justice but I'm sure some folk on here will remember it as a truly fantastic goal.

http://news.google.c...frontpage&hl=en

http://news.google.c...frontpage&hl=en

Was there that night. He left about 6 Clyde players sprawling on the deck. Im sure he even went back and beat the left back again just to make it a wonderful individual goal, I was down by the wall under the shed on the wing he done it. Fanatastic memory!!

That's why we go to football......that surge of adrenalin when we score...sheer joy!!!

.that being the case!

Gibby's goal at Dumdee in the cup,

(after Gerree's brilliant individual goal)

our stand was jammed and seeing it on telly after the result was goose pimppeling!

but being in the crowd was / is the best adrenalin rush I've EVER had!!

:worship:

:fan:

.that being the case!

Gibby's goal at Dumdee in the cup,

(after Gerree's brilliant individual goal)

our stand was jammed and seeing it on telly after the result was goose pimppeling!

but being in the crowd was / is the best adrenalin rush I've EVER had!!

:worship:

:fan:

That was indeed an incredible adrenalin rush. Jaggernautess told me that I was gibbering like an excited monkey all the way home that night.

No change there, then...

Doolan's goal at the very end of the season 2009/10 against Queen of the South was a memorable one that no-one has mentioned so far. http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2009-2010/may_2010/queen_of_the_south_-_after_match_reaction

http://ptfc.co.uk/media/video/match_highlights/2009-2010/0105_queen_of_the_south

Edited by Fearchar

Doolan's goal at the very end of the season 2009/10 against Queen of the South was a memorable one that no-one has mentioned so far. http://ptfc.co.uk/ne..._match_reaction

http://ptfc.co.uk/me...en_of_the_south

A good goal indeed. Did Stephen Dobbie not score a very similar goal from the same position against us for Queens? 2-0 win for them IIRC.

Anoter one from the dark days of the Second Division.

Graham Connell rocket shot at Firhill against Inverness.

If I can go off topic, the other memory from that game was towards the end when we were hanging on desperately at 2-1. Inverness won a throw in with seconds to go down at the corner where the turnstiles for the North Stand now are. Ballboy threw ball to Inverness player. He was so nervous and in so much of a hurry that he dropped the ball and it ran right away down the hill to waste a valuable half minute which was just enough to see us through.

going way back, remember a few Denis McQuade goals ,including the one against Clyde, where he left a trail of bamboozled defenders before he scored. Did he not score a ridiculous hat trick against Motherwell in the 8-3 game in the League cup winning season (there were a few crackers that night)?

and do I remember Joe Craig scoring a solo beauty at Dumbarton (1-0) in the 1976 division title year?

and Alan Hansen walking through the Rangers defence to score in the 4-3 game in March 77 ...defo remember that game because it was the last game I saw before leaving for Canada a few days later

Any oldies remember Thistle vs. Stranraer in the season we won the old 1st Div? A right old stramash in the Stranraer penalty box.... the referee was going to blow for a penalty, but waited because Frank Coulston crawled on his hands and knees through the mud and nudged the ball over the goal line with his head. Goal! Can still remember it as if it was yesterday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis McQuade's against East Fife in a 4-0 drubbing in the top of the table clash. Big crowd that day and Jimmy Bone scored a great hatrick. John Donnelly's outragous volleyed back heel the day we got humped 7-3 by St Johnstone at Firhill.

Chris Erskine's run and chipped goal v Falkirk....made all the better by the Falkirk defender tripping as he bumped into the other Falkirk player.

Dan McLindon's mazy run....every boy my age ran onto the park to hug him.

Chris Erskine's goal v Airdrie s recently. How privealged we were to witness his goals.....also O'Donnell's and Forbes against Dunfy.

I could go on and on....finally Albert Craig's goal against Killie when the first shot came off the bar....really important game that night....but what a jump about when he scored.