Best And Worst

stuart_adam

I'll back you up in so far as my automatic choices for worst used to be;

Goalkeeper: Doug McNab

Right Back: George Mackie

Left Back: Danny Kellachan

Mind you that was up to the early 80's when we were always in the top League and before the Club entered the Wilderness Years.

Team pic on the Jags facebook page today has both Mackie & Kellachan in it

What about a slight change in direction, and nominate the worst ref? I'd kick off with Brian Cassidy. whenever I saw his name in the programme my heart sank and I knew we were in a for a long afternoon of incompetence.

That topic deserves a separate thread.

What about a slight change in direction, and nominate the worst ref? I'd kick off with Brian Cassidy. whenever I saw his name in the programme my heart sank and I knew we were in a for a long afternoon of incompetence.

Cassidy was a wee Hitler impersonator. The one I'll always hate most of all was the cheat who basically admitted that his performance was pro-snuh at Firhill. He then retired after making sure that the snuh won.

A suggestion for the worst Thistle squad must go to our 2nd season SPL team-

Whyte, John Gemmil, Madaschi, Milne, McBride, Andy Ross, Anis, Bonnes.

Our best squad in recent history was perhaps the one the season before with Lennon, Archie, Paterson, Craigan, Hardie. Burns, McLean.

Collins signed some real dross. Git.

A suggestion for the worst Thistle squad must go to our 2nd season SPL team-

Whyte, John Gemmil, Madaschi, Milne, McBride, Andy Ross, Anis, Bonnes.

Our best squad in recent history was perhaps the one the season before with Lennon, Archie, Paterson, Craigan, Hardie. Burns, McLean.

Collins signed some real dross. Git.

McLean was gone after we got promoted. It would have been Grady, Mitchell or both that season, wouldn't it?

A much shorter thread would be best referee. Or even good referee. Or possibly competent referee.

The question is - what makes the worst player? The worst in terms of ability? Is a player who played for us in the SPL and was awful, worse than a player who got into our team when we were scraping the bottom of the barrel in the the second division? It's all relative isn't it? I think there's been much worse players for us than Darren Brady, when you consider where we were at the time when they played. And does effort count for anything? There's plenty of people who just didn't seem to care one jot (Slippers).

Worst of all for me is Murdo McLeod, as manager. Took us down and kept us down, and couldn't care less anyway. Also takes the prize as worst commentator on radio Scotland.

Billy Paxton ! Still have nightmares about that square-headed fud.

John Workman ! Basically just a ned in a yellow top. Worst crosser of a ball ever.

Remember he played 5's at Queens Park and would be drinking cider before going on. Also played junior for Ballieston, about 6 stone overweight and got subbed at half time at Arthurlie.

To be honest there were so many total stiffs in the 80's it is hard to remember them all. These 2 stick out.

Edited by thebiglemon

Best : Alex Forsyth or Hansen A.

Worst : As previously mentioned Billy Paxton - but I seem to remember he was perhaps injured when he signed? Another worst mention must go to a keeper from the late 60s - name of McFedris? - he suffered some horrendous scorelines in heavy defeats (I particularly remember a very painful 5-1 (5-0 perhaps!?) defeat at Motherwell when he played like a cat on a hot tin roof). He probably wasn't a bad keeper, just never got a chance and when he played was overwhelmed by nerves, goals and possibly also bad defending. Probably harsh to have a keeper as a worst choice in any case as they are sometimes only as bad as the team they have in front of them.

• Members

Fat, immobile and gave the ball away??? Are you getting Trigger mixed up with someone else? Top scorer in the 2nd division championship winning year IIRC. in the old PTFC.net prediction competition days, I used to pick him as first goalscoroer every week. Earned me loads of points!

Edited to add: In fact from that era, if you think he was worse than Brian Hamilton at the time, your brain must have been defuddled!!! :D

Edited by Willjag

Fat, immobile and gave the ball away??? Are you getting Trigger mixed up with someone else? Top scorer in the 2nd division championship winning year IIRC. in the old PTFC.net prediction competition days, I used to pick him as first goalscoroer every week. Earned me loads of points!

Edited to add: In fact from that era, if you think he was worse than Brian Hamilton at the time, your brain must have been defuddled!!! :D

He may have been our top scorer, but the league top scorer was Isaac English. Only once in our history have we had a league (equal) top scorer.

McLean was gone after we got promoted. It would have been Grady, Mitchell or both that season, wouldn't it?

McLean played at least the first half of the season in the SPL, think he moved on in the January transfer window (the first of its kind).

That Collins team was terrible, throw in Grant Murray and Stuart Taylor as well.