The Firhill Pitch

The Earl of Hathaway

Worth pointing out at least in relation to Cappielow that they don't have undersoil heating. It's placed within a microclimate that seldom leads to below-freezing temperatures causing long-term damage to the surface. As for Rangers and Celtic, they have an extensive team of paid ground-staff and yet in recent years they've had to completely resurface Ibrox mid-way through a season.

It's February. It's Scotland. It's cold, and we can't just lay down turf at will. It's an artificial surface or this, I'm afraid.

Firhill's playing surface has never been great...I can remember Gordon Strachan mentioning it as his least favourite away ground because the pitch was so bumpy...this was when he was playing for Aberdeen so that would have been in the early 80's.

Playing fewer games during the Winter months or laying an artificial surface would seem the only practical solutions...Saturday's game against Airdrie was a reminder of how a poor playing surface can affect the entertainment value.

I think grass is the surface football should be played on but I also think the surface should be even for a passing football team anyway.

In the winter you will struggle to get decent pitches in this country but what I don't understand is the SPL don't allow artificial pitches.

Ok they are not as good as grass but the latest 4g are very good and a surface suited to a team who wants to get the ball down and play.

With money so tight Scottish football clubs would make money having artificial surfaces as the pitch can be rented out every night and don't need the maintainence of a grass pitch.

The first team down to the youth teams could get use of it.

Russian clubs are allowed to use them in the champions league so if it's good enough for Uefa then surely it's good enough for the Spl.

If any team has any aspiration to get to the top league in Scotland then they can't go down the artificial pitch route but it's something i think needs looked at.

In an ideal world it would be grass but we don't live in one.

Edited by billko

It's well documented that the use of undersoil heating destroys pitches which explains, to some extent, our reluctance to use ours before the Raith game in December.

As the good lady has mentioned, Falkirk's pitch has to be seen to be believed. There was a picture on Twitter a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a post apocalyptic nightmare.

It's well documented that the use of undersoil heating destroys pitches which explains, to some extent, our reluctance to use ours before the Raith game in December.

As the good lady has mentioned, Falkirk's pitch has to be seen to be believed. There was a picture on Twitter a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a post apocalyptic nightmare.

Do Falkirk have USH? How many times have we used ours this season?

Do Falkirk have USH? How many times have we used ours this season?

They must do since they have been in the SPL more recently than us.

I'd guess at least 3 games (Dunfermline cup game, Morton game on Boxing day and Saturday's game with Airdrie) Might have used it before the Falkirk game as well?

All of Falkirk is a post apocalyptic nightmare, not just their pitch.

I know it's 100 miles or so South of the border, but the state of Blackpool's pitch is something to behold. I was at an event there today which looked out onto the pitch and it was horrific; made the Firhill surface look like a table at the Crucible. The groundsman seemed to spend hours just peppering it with sand.

It's the talk of the steamy down here. Total shambles.