Goal Of The Season

allyo

Just been watching the highlights again. We've scored so many great goals this season. I'd say my top ten would be...

Chris Erskine vs Airdrie last week

Chris Erskine vs Raith in Ramsdens cup (2nd goal)

Chris Erskine vs Falkirk at Firhill (2nd game)

Steve Lawless vs Livi away

Steve Lawless vs Raith at Firhill

Ross Forbes vs Dunfermline at Firhill

Ross Forbes vs Dunfermline at EEP (on anecdotal evidence, to be honest)

Ross Forbes vs Cove Rangers

Steven O'Donnell vs Dunfermline at Firhill

Stuart Bannigan vs Livi at Firhill

But I'm missing out some truly excellent goals there. Fantastic season.

Would do a poll for the favourite, but no idea how.

I'm with you there. List was in no particular order, except that that was at the top. Everyone goes on about Zidane at Hampden but I genuinely think Chris Erskine's was both comparable, and better. Zidane wasn't going backwards. However I also think that Erskine's goal against Falkirk has a beauty about it. And Forbes against Dunfermline (first time) was also on my all time list when I saw it.

Everyone goes on about Zidane at Hampden but I genuinely think Chris Erskine's was both comparable, and better.

In the context of the match it was played in, Zidane's was surely the greatest, though.

Ross Forbes vs Dunfermline at Firhill, for me, out of the ones I actually witnessed.

Different style of goal. Would never win goal of the season but perhaps a place in a top ten showcasing every aspect of the art of goalscoring. Conrad Balatoni's header against Dunfermline (at 1-1 remember) crashing into the net right in front of the New Shed was truly inspirational.

If one has to be chosen has to be by Chris Erskine, but which one? Best single shot strike v Airdrie, wonderful run and lob v Falkirk or finshing off Paton's crunching tackle and pinpoint crossfield pass v Raith?

Then again, team goal Stephen O'Donnell with the incredibly cheeky dink has to be in the mix as well!

• Like 1

Different style of goal. Would never win goal of the season but perhaps a place in a top ten showcasing every aspect of the art of goalscoring. Conrad Balatoni's header against Dunfermline (at 1-1 remember) crashing into the net right in front of the New Shed was truly inspirational.

If one has to be chosen has to be by Chris Erskine, but which one? Best single shot strike v Airdrie, wonderful run and lob v Falkirk or finshing off Paton's crunching tackle and pinpoint crossfield pass v Raith?

Then again, team goal Stephen O'Donnell with the incredibly cheeky dink has to be in the mix as well!

This.

The build up to that goal was fantastic with a bit of niggle going on on the left wing to earn us a free kick that went out for the corner. I wasn't at the Airdrie game there so missed Erskine's wonder strike so my personal favourite goal of the season so far is Ballatoni's bullet header.

I think it's fantastic that we can have a thread like this where the goal of the season, thus far, is in serious dispute as to which one it should be. I can't remember a season in all my years where there were so many peaches, and scored by so many different players.

Erskine, Forbes, O'Donnell and Balatoni each have a valid claim to the best one so far. SoJ has produced more than a few of strikers' beauty as well. And still no mention of Chris Erskine's against Raith Rovers in the Ramsdens where the move started with a Herculean effort from Paul Paton who retrieved the ball with a sensational tackle inside his own half, then delivered - for me - the pass the season: a stunning diagonal ball through to the Bridge whose control, turn and finish we're out the Brazil 1970 playbook.

So great to be a Jags fan.

And still no mention of Chris Erskine's against Raith Rovers in the Ramsdens where the move started with a Herculean effort from Paul Paton who retrieved the ball with a sensational tackle inside his own half, then delivered - for me - the pass the season: a stunning diagonal ball through to the Bridge whose control, turn and finish we're out the Brazil 1970 playbook.

I did mention this one above. But your description is so much more eloquent!

Edited by partickthedog

So many great goals this season. Mazy runs and chips, volleys of supreme quality, last minute winners, towering headers and 25 yard daisy cutters. Strange how I'm anticipating a two yard sclaff from a shite Andy Carroll look-a-like this evening being one of my highlights for the season :innocent2:

Erskine's goal against Falkirk in January gets my vote: a sublime goal scored with the type of skill normally seen in La Liga.

Wherever we finish in the league this season I reckon the club could do worse than to compile a DVD compilation of this season's best goals, because there have been some absolute crackers. :)