Great Result. Poor Performance, Again!

jagielka

well done lads, another result nearer the title, but what has happened to the football that was being played for so much of the season. 3-0 looks good on paper, but the performance was shocking. the fullbacks need to learn to cross the ball, only twice today did either player get it into the box, far too much messing around when in a good position near the bye line. but it must be said, the worst player, by a long way was Forbes. what a shocker he had. archie should have put him out his misery at half time. but it was noticed that the last two goals came about when the boys remembered to keep it on the deck and pass it through the defence. for too long it was hit long(and in hope) when it simple pass was on. but well done again lads i wont complain if you play the same way up to the last game and get the same results all the way to the title. mon the jags.

• Members

Dumbarton simply didn't allow us to play football today, however, they ran out of steam after about 70-75 minutes and we capitalised scoring two more goals. Lawless's second was yet another peach! Really impressed with Dumbarton's 9 and 11 (Fleming and MacDougall) and Winters still has a really nice touch even if he isn't as dangerous in front of goal these days.

The passing was off today but when we did get it right, we could have a couple more early on that would have made the rest of the game a lot easier. I'd have gave James Craigen MOTM today. Thought he done really well. Seemed to me that after Forbes went off, Bannigan and Welsh swapped roles and we were much more effective. Surprised at the bench to day with 3 forwards on it and no recognised midfielders, especially with only one out and out forward on the pitch. Elliott came on and played his best game for Thistle since his first couple of games last season. Nice run and setup for Doolan's goal. Doolan looked dangerous throughout his short appearance and even in the little time he was on the park, McGuigan caused the big Dumbarton defence some new problems. Nice use of the Subs Archie.

• Like 1

Agreed it was poor stuff today but Archie made it clear when he came in that at this stage of the season its not the way we win, its the fact that we have won that is all that matters to him.

Have to 100% agree. Unbeaten in his 5 games with 13/15 points gained and we are now keeping clean sheets for fun....that will do me all the way to May! Really missed the creativety of Erskine today which I pointed out to the git that regularly sits besides me and moans about him every time he tries something that doesnt come off. Nearly fell off ma seat when he agreed!

I would say that we definitely missed Erskine and Paton. In the 1st half ,the game passed Craigen bye, but that was due to the rest not giving him the ball. Lawless's goal came against the run of play, I think, but it was a cracker.

Another clean sheet,though(4 out of 5) under Archie

• Like 1

Dumbarton simply didn't allow us to play football today, however, they ran out of steam after about 70-75 minutes and we capitalised scoring two more goals. Lawless's second was yet another peach! Really impressed with Dumbarton's 9 and 11 (Fleming and MacDougall) and Winters still has a really nice touch even if he isn't as dangerous in front of goal these days.

The passing was off today but when we did get it right, we could have a couple more early on that would have made the rest of the game a lot easier. I'd have gave James Craigen MOTM today. Thought he done really well. Seemed to me that after Forbes went off, Bannigan and Welsh swapped roles and we were much more effective. Surprised at the bench to day with 3 forwards on it and no recognised midfielders, especially with only one out and out forward on the pitch. Elliott came on and played his best game for Thistle since his first couple of games last season. Nice run and setup for Doolan's goal. Doolan looked dangerous throughout his short appearance and even in the little time he was on the park, McGuigan caused the big Dumbarton defence some new problems. Nice use of the Subs Archie.

Agree with much of that. Good team Dumbarton and they might have been 2-1 up at one stage. Well done Jags another great result and another clean sheet.

Performance wasn't great but was pretty decent considering we were missing Paton and Erskine (unarguably two huge losses), and that Dumbarton are no mugs nowadays, and play a pressing game of a type that we've struggled against all season. I think we weathered their storm about 10-15 minutes into the second half and had been on top for some time before our second.

Considering we were without arguably our two most important players in Paton and Eskine, I thought it was a good enough performance. Dumbarton were a decent side and particularly in the first half they caused some problems through their No.9. We were a bit slack after half time but I can't say they looked like scoring...but at least we kept trying to pass our way through - I don't recall us hoofing the ball too often.

The second goal settled the game and the team - great strike by Lawless and we finished very strongly. Some excellent passing for the third goal and good use of the substitutes.

Bannigan looks a real talent.

Thistle won, Celtic and Rangers lose embarrassingly...that's a great football day

Bannigan looks a real talent.

Yeah and we should enjoy these guys while we can. Pretty sure guys like this are gonna be sniffing about at the end of the season whether some of the players are out of contract or not!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jackie-mcnamara-believes-alan-archibald-1752453

Considering that the Sons were the last team to beat us, today's result was exactly what was needed. 3-0 seems to have flattered us but we need to keep our goal difference over Morton.

After his loan spell, Elliot needs to be given the chance to win a new deal.

A tough game but well deserved in the end. Boys kept going and were rewarded with a couple of quick fire goals. Dumbarton kept us at bay quite effectively, especially in the first 70-75minutes. They restricted Sinclair and O'Donnell thus making our midfield seem very congested for the first hour or so. They probably felt unlucky to go in at half time one down. Their pressing led to the ball being lost in possession too much. Forbes was caught out on at least 4 occassions and had a poor (day)shift. Craig worked hard but Lawless had to drop deep and Stephen seemed isolated for most of his shift. The midfield lacked depth and width until Archie got the subs on.

Defence were solid and Fox and his two central defenders played very well. MotM for me was Bannigan, despite two very good goals from wee Stevie. Craigen came onto a game and will be a useful player for the run in.

Nice to see the subs inject some width and impetus onto the game. Archie will be pleased with his option.

Wasn't pretty at times but I'll take 3-0 at home anytime. We Believe.

Wasnt there today but the comments encourage me , and we won without Erskine !! Was this an "ugly " 3-0 win ? I am also impressed with Archie's reading of the game with his subs , JMac seemed to get that side of his tactics all wrong somehow !! Just thinking as well , that any 3-0 win last season would have caused great excitement all round but this one seems to have the members a bit subdued , any thoughts ?

Wasnt there today but the comments encourage me , and we won without Erskine !! Was this an "ugly " 3-0 win ? I am also impressed with Archie's reading of the game with his subs , JMac seemed to get that side of his tactics all wrong somehow !! Just thinking as well , that any 3-0 win last season would have caused great excitement all round but this one seems to have the members a bit subdued , any thoughts ?

AA definitely has us playing a more cautious, even defensive style. At times we couldn't get into the final third and lacked bodies to give attacking options. However, the lads stuck to their task and deserved their victory.

The main thing for me is that I think we will continue our improving away form. Credit to Dumbarton but by far the better team won.

Wouldn't say it was a poor performance, just not that exciting. Decent run out, won without some key players, don't think we picked up any injuries & no red card! 3-0 every week would do me just fine. Never looked in any real danger - defence solid with Balatoni my player of the season so far - so consistent at the moment.

Ref was poor, again, and Dumbarton certainly far from the worst team I've seen at Firhill this season. Great to get some squad players involved too - this is when we're going to start to need them.

Wouldn't say it was a poor performance, just not that exciting. Decent run out, won without some key players, don't think we picked up any injuries & no red card! 3-0 every week would do me just fine. Never looked in any real danger - defence solid with Balatoni my player of the season so far - so consistent at the moment.

Ref was poor, again, and Dumbarton certainly far from the worst team I've seen at Firhill this season. Great to get some squad players involved too - this is when we're going to start to need them.

Agree pretty much, my only real gripe was we gave the ball away too easily and this against a slightly sharper team would have cost us. That said Dumbarton didn't really appear to be less sharp than any of the other teams in this League, to be fair.

Decent performance

It's the business end of the season so will take points over performance any day.

Elliot looked really good when he came on, I'm not his biggest fan but he is good as an impact player and has always linked up well with Sinclair. Would like to see him get some more game time to prove his worth.

Performance wasn't great but was pretty decent considering we were missing Paton and Erskine (unarguably two huge losses), and that Dumbarton are no mugs nowadays, and play a pressing game of a type that we've struggled against all season. I think we weathered their storm about 10-15 minutes into the second half and had been on top for some time before our second.

Dumbarton surprised me. Wasn't at Boghead( or whatever it's called now) but can see why we lost. Their league position is pobably false. They could well turn over Morton again on their own patch. They presented us with plenty problems, and had that early shot against the post gone in, who knows? Our strength is based on two-three exceptional players at this level. ( Paton, Erskine, Bbnnigan Muirhead Lawless) and when two or more are missing we struggle. However, today proved that we have the strength in depth to cope, albeit less comfortably than we might hope.

I agree with the headline but James craigen motm?? He gave the ball away constantly won very little tackles and for all his fitness I thought was poor. Before today he was due a chance, he had that chance today and blew it. I know it's not his position bt I didn't think he helped his cause today.

...They presented us with plenty problems, and had that early shot against the post gone in, who knows?...

Am I and the Dumbarton no.9 the only ones that saw that Fox had actually saved that? Ref awarded the bye kick, and no-one else seemed to complain - but that was a cracking save and should have been a corner.

Tee hee...