Great Result. Poor Performance, Again!

jagielka

I agree with the headline but James craigen motm?? He gave the ball away constantly won very little tackles and for all his fitness I thought was poor. Before today he was due a chance, he had that chance today and blew it. I know it's not his position bt I didn't think he helped his cause today.

i will help you out there kennymac29 that was forbes you were watching :thumbsup2::innocent2:

i thought he played well actually and was certanly better than some of his more experienced colleges.

Edited by jaggybunnet

Wouldn't say it was a poor performance, just not that exciting. Decent run out, won without some key players, don't think we picked up any injuries & no red card! 3-0 every week would do me just fine. Never looked in any real danger - defence solid with Balatoni my player of the season so far - so consistent at the moment.

Ref was poor, again, and Dumbarton certainly far from the worst team I've seen at Firhill this season. Great to get some squad players involved too - this is when we're going to start to need them.

Worth emphasising this, I think. He really is bossing the entire central defensive line, covering other players, setting up passes left, right and centre, and not averse to scoring. Must be in the running for player of the season.

• Like 1

Decent performance considering the age of the team and no natural leader/motivator on the park. As the senior professional, Son of Joe was at times petulant when he wasn't getting the ball passed right to his head or feet. Didn't lead by example which was disappointing.

I've noticed that aspect of Craig's game too. One of those "selfish" strikers, but we can't really fault his scoring ratio.

Decent performance considering the age of the team and no natural leader/motivator on the park. As the senior professional, Son of Joe was at times petulant when he wasn't getting the ball passed right to his head or feet. Didn't lead by example which was disappointing.

Craig does seem a bit lackadaisical at times - at least twice yesterday I thought he was caught offside unnecessarily, either by failing to anticipate the play or just being a bit lazy in getting back onside.

We weren't as fluent as we were last week & despite getting the early goal we looked nervy.

Credit Dumbarton though as they came to Firhill looking to take the game to us unlike Airdrie & Hamilton in recent weeks.

Their no. 9 gave Balatoni & Muirhead no end of problems but credit where it's due as another clean sheet.

My main gripe is this: Ross Forbes.

Far too often he passes the ball to a man with someone at their back or tries a clever flick & ends up losing the ball. His work rate and pressing in the middle of the park is poor compared to everyone else. He's fast becoming the weak link in the team.

Deadly left foot undoubtedly but needs to offer more than that.

The killer ball & fancy flicks were far too evident yesterday. The second goal was probably the first time all afternoon we played the simple passes along the back & into the midfield looking for the spare man inviting them to come to us. As soon as we did couple of quick balls to feet then Lawless bangs it in.

For what it's worth, I thought Lawless was another guilty of trying the fancy flicks too often yesterday.

Elliot did well when he came on & wonder if we'll see him more towards end of season- especially off the bench. His pace out wide against a tiring defence could well be a master stroke by Archie & the coaching team.

Craig does seem a bit lackadaisical at times - at least twice yesterday I thought he was caught offside unnecessarily, either by failing to anticipate the play or just being a bit lazy in getting back onside.

Agree but there was one time late on when he deliberately stayed offside anticipating a pass back. From nearby me he was greeted with a couple of shouts of "Get onside you clown" and "How many times, Craig?".

AA definitely has us playing a more cautious, even defensive style. At times we couldn't get into the final third and lacked bodies to give attacking options. However, the lads stuck to their task and deserved their victory.

The main thing for me is that I think we will continue our improving away form. Credit to Dumbarton but by far the better team won.

I don't get this, "we're more defensive" under Archibald thing. We've played exactly the same formation with more or less the same players in place (changes due to injury/suspension). We have struggled at times in games meaning teams have got at us more and we've had to defend more - but that's because we couldn't keep up the intensity and quality of our earlier good form through a whole season.

I can't see any change in set up or personnel that shows us trying to be more defensive. In fact look at yesterday's game. Paton was out but Murray was available again after suspension. Instead Archie had a bench with a goalie, himself and three forwards. The game ended with all three of these forwards playing. You could actually argue he's less defensive minded than McNamara.

I don't get this, "we're more defensive" under Archibald thing. We've played exactly the same formation with more or less the same players in place (changes due to injury/suspension). We have struggled at times in games meaning teams have got at us more and we've had to defend more - but that's because we couldn't keep up the intensity and quality of our earlier good form through a whole season.

I can't see any change in set up or personnel that shows us trying to be more defensive. In fact look at yesterday's game. Paton was out but Murray was available again after suspension. Instead Archie had a bench with a goalie, himself and three forwards. The game ended with all three of these forwards playing. You could actually argue he's less defensive minded than McNamara.

Full backs are more reserved under Archie, the front man is often left isolated and we were getting fewer players into the box yesterday. At times Craig was the only player waiting for a cross. Just an observation not a complaint. I'm glad AA is his own man. He also got the team lifted with his subs adding pace and width but you chose to not quote thay bit ;)

Full backs are more reserved under Archie, the front man is often left isolated and we were getting fewer players into the box yesterday. At times Craig was the only player waiting for a cross. Just an observation not a complaint. I'm glad AA is his own man. He also got the team lifted with his subs adding pace and width but you chose to not quote thay bit ;)

On the JH side, you could see SoD check himself a few times, coming back for the ball rather than make a run. I'm sure he's under instructions there.

• Like 1

I have to agree that it wasn't the greatest performance from the team yesterday. I thought we missed Paton big time, and James Craigen is no Chris Erskine - although he did look a lot more comfortable when he moved into a more central position. Dumbarton caused us far more problems than both Airdrie and Hamilton and were probably unlucky not to score.

On the other hand, we saw two great goals - including a fantastic solo effort from Lawless - and secured three valuable points. The very fact that we can afford to be critical of the performance just goes to show how well things have gone this season, and I doubt there will be many fans dwelling on yesterday if we do take the title at the end of the season.

Three more points on Tuesday would do very nicely indeed. :thumbsup2:

On the JH side, you could see SoD check himself a few times, coming back for the ball rather than make a run. I'm sure he's under instructions there.

Can't really see that is any more likely than to do with a bit loss of confidence. But it is a point and we're about opinions. You at least (and j-fox) offer some evidence. Fair enough.

Elliot did well when he came on & wonder if we'll see him more towards end of season- especially off the bench. His pace out wide against a tiring defence could well be a master stroke by Archie & the coaching team.

Before the game I wouldn't have even thought about Elliott as an option in our title race. Totally forgot about him and assumed he'd not make the squad again - given we've both Doolan and McGuigan on the bench. I was surprised to see him named ahead of Murray, but after the impact he made on the match when he came on, he's another useful option in our arsenal. I agree that bringing him on with 10-15 minutes to go could pay dividends as he's got plenty of pace.

And just to confirm, it's ELLIOTT. Not Elliot. I think that's down to ptfc.co.uk calling him Elliot for the first few months, even his wikipedia says Christie Elliot. But his Twitter says Christie Elliott, so can we all start calling him that please? ;) Same with CRAIGEN, not Craigan - he's long gone. Something that just annoys me... :angry2:

Just on the topic of terrible football being played (not saying this is my opinion). But watched a lot of SPL games over the internet this season and to be honest only about one in four or five games is even worth watching. The quality is pretty dire overall. I think it is shown by how close all the teams are, with even Dundee never really getting outplayed.

This has two repercussions. One - if we go up, we have a chance to replicate the last time we went up and have a good first season then build from there. Two - we can't moan too much about our football just now. We got a treat at the start of the season and now we're back to reality.

There can be little doubt about that. Both of them now seem less willing to go on a fast run down the wing to get to a through ball, but tend to hang around the half-way line on a largely sideways pass coming from a central defender. And as my friend pointed out yesterday, watch every time Murihead goes on a forward run inside the opposition half, and you'll see O'Donnell heading fast in the other direction, back into defence. I'm not tactically aware enough to spot that kind of thing on my own, but after I saw it once yesterday, I saw it several times.

And just to confirm, it's ELLIOTT. Not Elliot. I think that's down to ptfc.co.uk calling him Elliot for the first few months, even his wikipedia says Christie Elliot. But his Twitter says Christie Elliott, so can we all start calling him that please? ;) Same with CRAIGEN, not Craigan - he's long gone. Something that just annoys me... :angry2:

The matchday programme yesterday had "Craigen" playing for us against Ayr "on this day" in 2002.... :innocent2: We also apparently had a "Kellachen" as sub against Falkirk in 1974. Strange one that, and no wonder we didn't score, as according to the programme we only fielded 10 men! :innocent2: :innocent2:

There can be little doubt about that. Both of them now seem less willing to go on a fast run down the wing to get to a through ball, but tend to hang around the half-way line on a largely sideways pass coming from a central defender. And as my friend pointed out yesterday, watch every time Murihead goes on a forward run inside the opposition half, and you'll see O'Donnell heading fast in the other direction, back into defence. I'm not tactically aware enough to spot that kind of thing on my own, but after I saw it once yesterday, I saw it several times.

I noticed that for the first time yesterday too. Also, Muirhead seemed less inclined to take on defenders when he did go forward.

With the away fixtures ahead it might not be a bad idea to stiffen up in defence.

I noticed that for the first time yesterday too. Also, Muirhead seemed less inclined to take on defenders when he did go forward.

With the away fixtures ahead it might not be a bad idea to stiffen up in defence.

We've not conceded a goal with that back 4, and we haven't conceded a goal from open play since January. Not sure how you can stiffen it up more...

• Like 1

The matchday programme yesterday had "Craigen" playing for us against Ayr "on this day" in 2002.... :innocent2: We also apparently had a "Kellachen" as sub against Falkirk in 1974. Strange one that, and no wonder we didn't score, as according to the programme we only fielded 10 men! :innocent2: :innocent2:

Now if we could get BBC teletext to stop going on about our players "Doohlan". " Erskene", and most annoying of all "Lawleff" !

Now if we could get BBC teletext to stop going on about our players "Doohlan". " Erskene", and most annoying of all "Lawleff" !

Those mistakes were made by the Press Association which supplies live match updates to the BBC, Sky and other media companies. I think that they have been corrected as the BBC got Lawless and Doolan right yesterday.

We have a league to win. All that matters is the 3 points each game now at this stage of the season. Three goals, some crackings ones too, a clean sheet and all done without our strongest XI. Average age of the squad yesterday was 22.

Obviously that isn't enough for some people, seeing as we've been spoilt rotten throughout the season with some smashing football.

Glad you're so confident about the forthcoming away fixtures. We were lucky with the fog.

And you don't believe the fog benefitted Cowdenbeath given that it benefited their "hoof it forward" tactics?

I think we will remain unbeaten over the next 3 away games. We'll beat Raith(their third game in 7 days), we'll beat Accies(their third game in 10 days) and we'll draw with Cowdenbeath.