When We Get Promoted Are There Any Players You Would Take From Div 1 Teams

Steve

Not sure if this has already been discussed but when we win the league are there any players you would like to see at firhill or any you think could strengthen our squad from division 1 or lower.

Maybe Lyle Taylor or Michael Tidser unless they get bigger moves elsewhere.

If we do lose some of our best players chances are we will be looking in the lower ranks again.

Not sure if this has already been discussed but when we win the league are there any players you would like to see at firhill or any you think could strengthen our squad from division 1 or lower.

Maybe Lyle Taylor or Michael Tidser unless they get bigger moves elsewhere.

If we do lose some of our best players chances are we will be looking in the lower ranks again.

Tidser has another year left on his contract and is being tracked by clubs down South as well as SPL. If Morton don't get promoted I'm sure he'll be off if a decent bid is received... but it won't be to Partick.

Sure he could do a decent job in League One in England, where the money on offer is far more then he'd get in Scotland. However, do think there is a fair chance that a couple of players will be moving between Morton & Thistle in the summer. Would take Erskine for starters..

LOL aye right. Wherever Chris ends up it sure as hell won't be Greenock!

You never know if morton where to go up it wouldnt be much of a shock if they came in for our best players and who would blame them. Would Erskine for example knock back bigger wages and a chance to play in the spl to stay at at firhill next season.

LOL aye right. Wherever Chris ends up it sure as hell won't be Greenock!

Mmm.. if he's out of contract in the summer (not sure what his contract status is), and Morton were to get promoted, then I gues he's the kind of player Morton would be looking at. I'm sure whichever club wins the league will try to sign up a few of the best out of contract players from the First Division.

Tidser would be good but I don't see it happening.

Apart from him I would take Graham or Taylor but that is it. We need SPL players not 1st division players.

That was Dunfermline's problem, they signed decent 1st division players like Boyle and Buchanan but they weren't good enough for the SPL.

Morton wouldn't be much of a step up in wages as they would drop back down in the current system with another miserable points total. With the 12-12-18 system wages may even fall after 22 games are played. So I wouldn't worry too much about our players going to New St Mirren park, in the event that Morton get more points than us in their 8 remaining games than we do in our ten :D

Scougal, Graham and Taylor, are the main ones who have caught my eye.

Taylor being the best player in the league. I am sure a front line of Taylor and Graham would cause problems to any SPL defence.

Both Paul Gallacher and Michael McGovern would be ahead of Fox on what I have saw from them. With Dunfermline’s problems there is a good chance we could get Gallacher.

If we do go up I would like to see us bring in 2 or 3 players with plenty of experience of the SPL or a high level down south. This would be the priority for me if we go up – this would be a massive help to the younger players.

Taylor, Scougall & Tidser definitely still have time on their contracts so no chance of us getting them. Does Bachirou? I'd take him as a replacement for Paton if he does indeed leave. Cuthbert has played extremely well against us, not sure how consistent he is though. I prefer Fox. Gordon's a good shout, particularly if O'Donnell leaves this summer.

The club has been good at picking up talent from the juniors, and even from the north of England (Christie Elliott), but there's no reason why lower-league players in neighbouring countries wouldn't add some different qualities to our game. The othe source that is often overlooked is amateur football: large parts of Scotland simply don't have the resources (including transport) to support the professional game. As it happens, many former pros end up involved in amateur football after they retire from the professional game, and they and officials are good sources of information on who the talented footballers are. (I should add that these wouldn't be for dropping straight into an SPL side, but for cultivating the next generation.)

Edited by Fearchar

You never know if morton where to go up it wouldnt be much of a shock if they came in for our best players and who would blame them. Would Erskine for example knock back bigger wages and a chance to play in the spl to stay at at firhill next season.

Mmm.. if he's out of contract in the summer (not sure what his contract status is), and Morton were to get promoted, then I gues he's the kind of player Morton would be looking at. I'm sure whichever club wins the league will try to sign up a few of the best out of contract players from the First Division.

Regardless of which league Thistle are playing in next season, I believe that Erskine in all likelihood will not remain at Firhill because he is a fantastic player (be nice if he does, though). My point is he won't be playing at Greenock, which is nothing more than a sideways step at best - there will be other teams - Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, maybe Championship teams, etc., who can offer far more money than Morton or Thistle, better terms, longer length of contract and so on, and offer a far more attractive place to play than that sh-tehole.

Lyle Taylor was loaned by Bournemouth to Conference (Blue Square Premier) clubs before he joined Falkirk. Our league's standard is similar at best. The SPL's standard is similar to Leagues One and Two. If we get promoted, we will need to recruit from a higher standard than SFL1 to stay up.

Edited by kni

Regardless of which league Thistle are playing in next season, I believe that Erskine in all likelihood will not remain at Firhill because he is a fantastic player (be nice if he does, though). My point is he won't be playing at Greenock, which is nothing more than a sideways step at best - there will be other teams - Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, maybe Championship teams, etc., who can offer far more money than Morton or Thistle, better terms, longer length of contract and so on, and offer a far more attractive place to play than that sh-tehole.

Think Huddersfield is far more likely than the teams you mentioned mate. We have to face fact that Huddersfield could pay more than both Morton and Thistles highest wage put together

Think Huddersfield is far more likely than the teams you mentioned mate. We have to face fact that Huddersfield could pay more than both Morton and Thistles highest wage put together

Championship football club Huddersfield, who play in the Championship, which fits in with what I originally wrote, specifically, "Championship teams".

The club has been good at picking up talent from the juniors, and even from the north of England (Christie Elliott), but there's no reason why lower-league players in neighbouring countries wouldn't add some different qualities to our game. The othe source that is often overlooked is amateur football: large parts of Scotland simply don't have the resources (including transport) to support the professional game. As it happens, many former pros end up involved in amateur football after they retire from the professional game, and they and officials are good sources of information on who the talented footballers are. (I should add that these wouldn't be for dropping straight into an SPL side, but for cultivating the next generation.)

Garry Mackay-Steven is a case in point. went to Liverpool from amateur football in Caithness.

Erskine is not good enough for the Championship or even League One. Celtic is the only SPL club that could survive in the Championship. League One clubs can pay more than most SPL clubs.

Remember that Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher were sacked by Bradford and Brentford respectively when they were in League Two. Butcher won only 5 games out of 23. McCall won about a third of his games in charge. Now they are managing the 2nd and 3rd clubs in the SPL! That puts the SPL and our standard in perspective.

We need to be realistic about the standard of the Scottish leagues and the players' values.

Remember that Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher were sacked by Bradford and Brentford respectively when they were in League Two. Butcher won only 5 games out of 23. McCall won about a third of his games in charge. Now they are managing the 2nd and 3rd clubs in the SPL! That puts the SPL and our standard in perspective.

I could be equally selective and put up Coyle as a counter argument - modest success with a yo-yo SPL/SFL side that did well in the Championship and EPL for a while at least. Equally, there are players who were deemed not good enough for the top SPL sides at the time - Maloney, McCormack for example - that have done well on the playing side in these leagues.