This Jags Team's Future Caps

alan261296

O'Donnell is in the maybe category category as well, imo (in my opinion).

I'm just thinking positionally, Hutton for some reason seems to have right-back sewn up to the point that EPL regulars like Martin and Bardsley aren't getting a game, so it'll be tough for O'Donnell to make the breakthrough there. Good luck to him though.

Centre-half and left-back are two positions that Scotland don't have much depth and so if Muirhead and Sinclair continue their development they'll be well positioned to gets caps.

Bannigan is just a great player with a real engine on him who I can see getting in at some stage.

Does anyone know players in the current scotland team (outwith the few english imports) that were never included at under 21 level but then got a full cap?

Can't see it being too many players. So with this in mind, I would say O'Donnell and Bannigan are the only two realistic ones. With the possibility of Muirhead should be playing SPL, then a championship/EPL move a couple years after that.

Sinclair doesnt have it physcially and defensively to make it at international. I think he would be fine in the SPL but thats it. Lawless is too small to be considered (stupid when we see the likes of Messi but this is scotland).

Going by Craigens performances I think he has real potential. We need to remember these are his first few performances for us and is a youngster. Who remembers Harkin's, Bannigan's, Paton's, Cairney's, Erskine's, Balatoni's etc etc first performances? No where near the standard Craigen has managed to show. He is reminiscent to me of Dorrans and I think he could go every bit as far.

I'm just thinking positionally, Hutton for some reason seems to have right-back sewn up to the point that EPL regulars like Martin and Bardsley aren't getting a game, so it'll be tough for O'Donnell to make the breakthrough there. Good luck to him though.

Think we need to remember the timescale here. If these players are to get full caps it will be in a fair few years time. Hutton is already 28 so will be in the 30's before O'Donnell would be considered.

Does anyone know players in the current scotland team (outwith the few english imports) that were never included at under 21 level but then got a full cap?

From recent squads:

Matt Gilks

David Marshall (one Scotland B cap)

Liam Bridcutt

George Boyd (one Scotland B cap)

Cammy Bell

Craig Gordon

Danny Fox (one England U21 cap)

Russell Martin

Phil Bardsley

Gary MacKenzie (selected for senior squad but not played)

Kris Commons

James Morrison (played at various junior levels for England)

Darren Barr

Don Cowie

Ian Black (two Scotland B caps)

Jamie Mackie

Craig Mackail-Smith (seven England C caps)

It seems to get a regular Scotland game without having played for the Scotland U21s you need to either be a goalie or be English.

Edited to add: Info sourced from Wikipedia, so not entirely reliable.

Edited by twinny

Muirhead could be vying for a place in a few years but he needs a big break at some point, probably to a top Championship team.

Bannigan, excellent though he is and younger too, needs, even more, to get the training and development a "big team" can offer to realise his potential. Alas, unless he signs for one of the Old Firm, he's going to have to be spotted by someone down south for that to be a realistic proposition.

From recent squads:

Matt Gilks

David Marshall (one Scotland B cap)

Liam Bridcutt

George Boyd (one Scotland B cap)

Cammy Bell

Craig Gordon

Danny Fox (one England U21 cap)

Russell Martin

Phil Bardsley

Gary MacKenzie (selected for senior squad but not played)

Kris Commons

James Morrison (played at various junior levels for England)

Darren Barr

Don Cowie

Ian Black (two Scotland B caps)

Jamie Mackie

Craig Mackail-Smith (seven England C caps)

It seems to get a regular Scotland game without having played for the Scotland U21s you need to either be a goalie or be English.

Edited to add: Info sourced from Wikipedia, so not entirely reliable.

That is a terrible list - only one player of true onternational class - Gordon was great for a season or two - the rest very mediocre or downright bad.

That is a terrible list - only one player of true onternational class - Gordon was great for a season or two - the rest very mediocre or downright bad.

We're talking about Scotland here. Players regularly getting a game in the EPL like James Morrison, Russell Martin and Phil Bardsley are good enough to be called "international class" me thinks.

I think if we go up, and ether or all of Lawless, Craig or Doolan or all three can keep up their scoring rate, well, Scotland needs you son. They have to prove it at that level though.

I am a tad astounded that Chris Erskine isn't even mentioned.

Journeyman Steven Craig will never be called up for Scotland. He's good at what he is, but wasn't judged as being good enough for the SPL by County despite having no decent strikers as it is.

think we need to calm this Scotland talk! There was a teuchtar on clyde or bbc scotland last week saying why don't the highland teams players get international recognition, he suggested richie brittain and iain vigurs should get a call up and I started laughing.at least these 2 guys have proved themselves in the spl but I still wouldnt have them near a Scotland team, same with scott boyd etc, how folk think lawless ,sinclair and doolan will get a scotland call up is beyond me! Muirhead,depending on his next move is in with a small chance,if gary kenneth can get a call up then anyone can.

I think if we go up, and ether or all of Lawless, Craig or Doolan or all three can keep up their scoring rate, well, Scotland needs you son. They have to prove it at that level though. I am a tad astounded that Chris Erskine isn't even mentioned.

Really? So Leigh Griffths with 20 goals in the SPL can't get in but Doolan with 12 in the first division should?

None of those three will play for scotland.

Really? So Leigh Griffths with 20 goals in the SPL can't get in but Doolan with 12 in the first division should?

None of those three will play for scotland.

the talk is if Griffiths hand made the comments on FB/twitter he would have walked into the team, the SFA couldnt pick a player who has an outstanding case of racism in the courts.