Positive Encouragement

Wanted this in a separate thread to make what I feel is a very important point. We have a very young team. A team which has done fantastic this year. They are learning their trade, they want to play football the correct way and they do not make much money with many having second jobs. A lot of them are in their early twenties and their life and football experience is not much. I am now in my mid thirties and my confidence and self awareness is far improved than in my early twenties.

Our support can make a huge difference. Screaming and moaning at them makes their confidence drop and they begin to hide and panic and hoof the ball up the park while sitting back and decreasing mobility. Some times I feel supporters screaming all and sundry is them getting their own life problems be it work, kids, partners out their system. Do that to the away team but not our own young players.

Supporting them like we did at the Dunfermline 5-1 home game gives them that extra yard of space, that confidence to make the runs and the desire to win. If they try something and fail encourage. If they need to get into space push them along. Keep up the vibes and show your appreciation. That is how we can beat Morton and get closer to the league title and promotion.

• Like 4

• Members

You know what. I was thinking about starting an 'Encouragement' thread myself. No negative comment allowed, no ABC should be playing instead of XYZ because XYZ looks tired and has been poor recently! Just positive comments.

So, to the players: Chin's up guys. You've been tremendous so far this season even right up to this late stage. Play without fear tomorrow and have a go at Morton. We're taking this!

• Like 1

I'm with you in this. I've always said that a "supporter" has a job to do. Just like players some are better than others and can control themselves even when what's happening on the pitch is not to their liking. I not saying I'm innocent of never having got on a players back butI can say it's not often and I try to have a rule of positive encouragement when shouting anything (don't bother posting any I'm a better supporter than you pish as that's not the point here). Some people can't seem to wait to get on a players back from the safety of the stands or run them down on a public forum about their display when they had an off day. Everyone to their own but that's not my preferred method of being a "supporter".

This team have been brilliant this season, it's not without issues and problems and these seem to be stacked a little higher than usual at this moment in time, but this team have given us many outstanding displays this season and the team need the 12th man on Wednesday, let's give these players the support they deserve on Wednesday and get right intae the Ton and and show them what we are all about.

• Like 2

Dealing with pressure sometimes leads to poor play.

Dealing with pressure sometimes leads to poor support being offered.

Let's sort ourselves out first before the game and help lessen the load on the lads.

If you witness failings in the ranks of the supporters, shout your support all the more. It can only help.

Hope the players can get a read at this thread , Am 100% behind the comments so far and would like to add my tuppenceworth, this young team have made this old man happier this season than any that has gone before and I'm just so grateful to them for the pleasure of watching a real football team at work for a change , onwards and upwards to the title lads , lets hear it for " The Jags " !!!

Now, especially, the team (including Archie) needs us to be 100% behind them. As their play has consisted of a lot of patient probing (is that legal?) this season, so do we need to show patience and appreciation of their efforts.

Having said that, I didn't hear much evidence of the supporters getting on the players' backs on Sunday, in spite of the horrible display. Plenty of understandable groans of disappointment, but no abuse or over the top criticism.

Dealing with pressure sometimes leads to poor play.

Dealing with pressure sometimes leads to poor support being offered.

Let's sort ourselves out first before the game and help lessen the load on the lads.

If you witness failings in the ranks of the supporters, shout your support all the more. It can only help.

Perfectly put.

We will pack Firhill tomorrow night because we love and totally believe in this team of OURS. We will be 100% behind the team for the entire 90 minutes, and Morton will know they're in a hostile environment from well before kick off.

I hope the some of the boys get to read this thread, because that way they will know that they ARE loved by us and that we totally appreciate everything they've done for us this season.

Over to us now as I know they will give it everything they've got tomorrow night, and then a bit more.

COME ON THISTLE, COME ON THISTLE!

Despite having WAY too much to drink on Sunday I still felt very proud to be a Jags fan at a final - something we've missed over the years.

Tomorrow is similar, but not win or bust. The players have been excellent all season (try to choose one standout best moment - not easy!) & have got the ability not just to beat Morton, but to utterly hammer them! Do that & we've got one hand on the trophy! How exciting must that be for such a young squad?

I'll be there tomorrow, clapping them on & off the park regardless of the result. It's been a great season, so let's help the boys finish it in style!

• Like 1

Well said LLD. Totally agree. I really wasn't that bothered on Sunday about the result. Had a great day out with my pals. I'm only concerned with tomorrow. I'm so excited it's ridiculous! 40 years of going to games and this is one of the biggest I remember. Let's get right behind these young guys. The atmosphere is going to be electric.

I am starting to feel more confident again after the weekend. Home advantage and I am sure a huge crowd will spur us on to victory. I haven't spoken to a Thistle supporter who isn't going and a fair number of neutrals too.

Even my sister wants to go tomorrow!!! Last time was when we beat St Mirren 1-0 at Firhill on our way back to the SPL.

And the scorer for us in that game back in 2001?:..... BMMMH.