Spl Vote Defeated

jagsman411971

My full congratulations to St Mirren and Ross County. The arrogance shown by the 'big' clubs is appalling in regard to everything they do that doesn't go their way. Why's Doncaster so concerned about Division 1 clubs all of a sudden? The 3 league split is only there to help the current SPL clubs avoid relegation. The reason why Dundee and Airdrie are on their knees just now is that they had no time to sign up players of quality to keep them in their respective leagues. With a split you would have (disregarding Dundee due to their last minute promotion) us and Morton, who have given everything with a 1st Division team, up against Hearts and Hibs starting from scratch. I know Falkirk and the like can raise their game for a couple of games per season in the cup but would we (and others) really have the steam to get past these teams over 8, 10 or 14 games, if the board was all of a sudden wiped clean and players signing pre-contract deals with a top 8 club?

Since day one of the SPL the game has been on the slide. Scottish football should have got their finger out following STJ and Clydebank's demise but teams have been collapsing since the mid 90's and the people running the game are a disgrace to modern sport.

So no one else is concerned that this could result in a ten team SPL next season, and no promotion for Jags? Should I just shut up?

So they're gonna vote 11-1 to kick one of them out of the SPL? Unlikely, I'd think. There are two clubs here with integrity: Ross County and St Mirren, two clubs who are well run and who are not completely debt-ridden in the way some other SPL clubs are. Do folk honestly think that Aberdeen etc. were selflessly willing to give more money to other teams in Scotland at their own expense? Think straight here: the proposed set-up made it less likely that any of them would ever get relegated; that's why it was proposed in the first place.

And this idea that Thistle will now lose out on extra money: How, exactly? If everything is now off the table, including redistribution of money, that should mean that all money currently within the SPL will stay within the SPL next year, and we'll be part of that.

Finally, For Doncaster, Longmuir, this is football "ruined". It was now or never. Well, Why? These guys and all the chairmen should be meeting every week to consider other proposals. If they really wanted change, they could get it in place for next season. No need to wait until next spring to start discussions and negotiations. Start now!

• Like 5

They introduced a 16 team top league and a 16 team second tier here in Norway a few years ago.

Lately our youth international teams have improved greatly, and in my view this is due to the league format giving more opportunities to young homegrown players. Our U21's recently managed to qualify for a major tournament for the first time in ages, knocking out France in the process.

Unfortunately, we also have people at the top calling for smaller leagues - citing the same w**k arguments like "too many meaningless games" etc with media people jumping on the bandwagon.

Edited by Norwejag

Meaningless games mean the opportunity to give youngsters starts.

How about financial rewards for x number of starts to players u21 or u23 over the course of a season? It would be a great improvement on the current SPL rule requiring three (I think) u21s to be named in a squad who end up filling the bench.

16 team league playing each other twice then 2 x 8 is a good option as we are unlikely to see 3 x 14 IMO.

Teams 1-4 and 9-12 get the 4 home games after the split for being the top teams in their "section".

Basically the 16-10-16 thought up by the SFL months ago.

(prob already been posted but CBA reading all through :P)

16 team league playing each other twice then 2 x 8 is a good option as we are unlikely to see 3 x 14 IMO.

Teams 1-4 and 9-12 get the 4 home games after the split for being the top teams in their "section".

Basically the 16-10-16 thought up by the SFL months ago.

(prob already been posted but CBA reading all through :P)

You think a 46 match season is suitable for Scottish football? We would have ten more games to fit in than we had this season, so in the event of postponed games teams would be playing three or four games a week.

The SFL proposal was for a 30 match league season with a sectional league cup. Opinion is divided on the sectional league cup, but I think this is yet another means to allow clubs to blood young players which everybody is too scared to do in case they lose.

Pissing myself laughing at Stewart Gilmour on Twitter this morning winding up RTC contributor (@barcaboy) with quotes from Bill Withers/Will Smith song Just The Two Of Us...

Totally lost on the brainless fud claiming Gilmour making irresponsible statements bringing God into a discussion about football.... oh the ironing!

:shok: STV Now using it as a direct quote (statement) from Gilmour! Are these people buttoned up the back?

Edited by potty trained