Dundee United - Takers

jaggy

Brilliant quote from Foxy in that article.

"I've now got an opportunity to play in the SPL, assuming we get that point, and I couldn't pass it up. I didn't want to be in a situation where I am waiting for a club to come in. I am at a club which is going places and which has given me a chance to get this done early, get it out the back of my mind and concentrate on next season.

They showed faith in me so I am going to show some faith in them. I didn't know about Erskine and Pates leaving until you told me but you see the amount of fans coming and the excitement that is here.

You have got the young boys who have been doing well and we need to just keep going forward. We know it is going to be difficult but the manager will make signings and I am positive we will do all right."

That's a great attitude. Fox: on the way to becoming a Jags Legend.

I've detested that mob since that night we lost in the play off at tannadice.Their fans were disgraceful at the end of the game when rather than celebrate all they did was aggressively goad the jags fans from the pitch. Had it not been for the restraint of our support there could have neen a riot that nigHt. I love anyone beating them and sadly that included Celtic on Sunday.

I've detested that mob since that night we lost in the play off at tannadice.Their fans were disgraceful at the end of the game when rather than celebrate all they did was aggressively goad the jags fans from the pitch. Had it not been for the restraint of our support there could have neen a riot that nigHt. I love anyone beating them and sadly that included Celtic on Sunday.

This.....

....And the fact there was a big drop to get on the pitch from their main stand. Was one of the worst nights of my life, our car for the entire return journey was totally silent.

This.....

....And the fact there was a big drop to get on the pitch from their main stand. Was one of the worst nights of my life, our car for the entire return journey was totally silent.

Me and other family members didn't have tickets for the Tannadice play-off, but watched it live in a pub in Auchterarder. My wee nephew (7 or 8 years old then) was greetin' at the final whistle. Me too, but I manned up and didn't show it until I got home.

Didn't they also basically relegate us at the end of the 60s? Ex-h un Davy Wilson scored the goal that did it. Fair play to him, when he did score, he didn't celebrate, and in fact held his head in his hands (he still lived in Glasgow and trained with us instead of them).

According to newspaper reports ( and who can believe any of them ?) our chairman according to JMc was the one who revealed the departure of Erskine and Paton, also it appears that its United who owe the comp for MacNaeballs and Sid so perhaps a wee word from the official website would clear these issues up , I for one am now of the opinion that Scottish football in general is rife with double dealing on the movement of players and quite frankly am getting pissed off with it all, is there any honesty in our game at all ??

Me and other family members didn't have tickets for the Tannadice play-off, but watched it live in a pub in Auchterarder. My wee nephew (7 or 8 years old then) was greetin' at the final whistle. Me too, but I manned up and didn't show it until I got home.

Didn't they also basically relegate us at the end of the 60s? Ex-h un Davy Wilson scored the goal that did it. Fair play to him, when he did score, he didn't celebrate, and in fact held his head in his hands (he still lived in Glasgow and trained with us instead of them).

I was too angry at the time to cry. I remember some Arab scumbags were taking photos of us at the end of extra time. If I could have got on that pitch that night, I would have. I dont think I have ever been that angry at a game since.

That Davy Wilson story rings a bell. Before my time but I'm sure I recall my old man mentioning it.

He is coaching with Dumbarton so he cannot be on that much money, only one way to find out.

Well said. He's obviously been told he'll never play again and is trying to see if he can stay in the game in another role. The Dumbarton thing looks like he's willing to to work at a low wage to get the exprience/find out if he's up to it. Guys like him who've spent several years in a Premiership team don't need the money, he could retire in comfort. If he's interested in pursuing this as a career he shouldn't be hard to deal with provided no other SPL club gets the same idea.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Worth considering if he gets no lucrative offers this summer.

I doubt he'll be playing competitive football again to be honest. It would be a big shame as he was one of the most talented goalkeepers we've ever seen in this country (Scotland or Britain) before his injury, and probably hadn't yet reached his peak.

I doubt he'll be playing competitive football again to be honest. It would be a big shame as he was one of the most talented goalkeepers we've ever seen in this country (Scotland or Britain) before his injury, and probably hadn't yet reached his peak.

Obviously you're right in that the OP mentioned him as back up keeper but the other posts I think realise he won't play again and were only suggesting him as coach (as a Hinchcliffe replacement) not as 2nd keeper. In that capacity it could be a good move.

Maybe showing my ignorance here, but is "goalkeeping coach" a full-time position? I could understand if the role involves normal coaching, taking training sessions with other players etc. with some specialized routines for the 2 or 3 goalkeepers that might be in the squad, but surely it can't be a position entirely dedicated to just coaching goalkeepers?

I'm sure I read that Mark Wotte had enlisted him to the SFA Youth set-up recently. He also mentioned it would be good to see him return as national team goalie as well.

Maybe we will look at an experienced back-up goalkeeper who can take coaching duties as well? Neil Alexander is getting dropped by Sevco, could be an option? McGurn may be another option or what about a return for Clangers when he gets freed from Pittodrie? Even Rab Douglas could be an option.

Edited by jagfox

We could not afford him.

Heard a couple of rumblings that the money he will receive in insurance payments for retiring through injury would be pretty substantial so he may be open to taking on a coaching role at a lower level to cut his teeth.

Wouldn't be a player/coach role as that would mean his insurance wouldn't pay out.

Could be pish though!