Squad Building For Next Season

Dark Passenger

No chance of us signing McManus whatsoever. He was on about £30k a week at Middlesbrough - we couldn't offer that a year.

Of the list on that STV link there's a few in our price range who I'd like to see us get. There's a few players from Dundee who have impressed me but that was at SFL1, I think Conroy and O'Donnell could do a job though. Boulding at Dundee Utd. Maybe Gordon smith at Hearts. Saunders at Motherwell seems to have fallen out of favour, he looked good before injury last season. There's a few from Ross County but I wouldn't be surprised if some other SPL teams were sniffing about them. Kettlewell's a player who's always impressed me and I think would be the ideal replacement for Paton; would like Vigurs, Lawson and Boyd too. From St Johnstone there's a few decent defenders: Gary Miller, McCracken, Frazer Wright; there's Tuffey too obviously and David Robertson and I think Jamie Adams would be okay too although he was pretty average with us before. Graham Carey from St Mirren would be a solid signing too.

With our own squad I'd like to us get Doolan, SOD, Forbes, McMillan and maybe Dowie as back-up signed up. Would let Elliot, Craig and McGuigan if possible go. I'm undecided about Shug. I have a feeling I've forgotten someone else too though.

Edited by Santana

Would be interested in a few players from that STV list. I never realised Kettlewell was out of contract but he'd be an ideal replacement for Paton. He's a sound boy, good player and could perhaps be looking for a return to the central belt. Few of the St Johnstone players would be ideal; Chris Millar would be a similarly decent replacement in midfield, Frazer Wright would be a good, experienced addition to the defence and Liam Caddis looked very handy when he played against us for Cowdenbeath. Brian Easton and Nicky Riley would be reasonably good signings too, in my opinion.

No chance of us signing McManus whatsoever. He was on about £30k a week at Middlesbrough - we couldn't offer that a year.

Of the list on that STV link there's a few in our price range who I'd like to see us get. There's a few players from Dundee who have impressed me but that was at SFL1, I think Conroy and O'Donnell could do a job though. Boulding at Dundee Utd. Maybe Gordon smith at Hearts. Saunders at Motherwell seems to have fallen out of favour, he looked good before injury last season. There's a few from Ross County but I wouldn't be surprised if some other SPL teams were sniffing about them. Kettlewell's a player who's always impressed me and I think would be the ideal replacement for Paton; would like Vigurs, Lawson and Boyd too. From St Johnstone there's a few decent defenders: Gary Miller, McCracken, Frazer Wright; there's Tuffey too obviously and David Robertson and I think Jamie Adams would be okay too although he was pretty average with us before. Graham Carey from St Mirren would be a solid signing too.

With our own squad I'd like to us get Doolan, SOD, Forbes, McMillan and maybe Dowie as back-up signed up. Would let Elliot, Craig and McGuigan if possible go. I'm undecided about Shug. I have a feeling I've forgotten someone else too though.

Are you thinking of Forbes? Elliott and Craig are out of contract in May. Scully, when he returns from Rovers, is also out of contract too.

I'd take the Hamilton left back, Harkins, Cuthbert (assuming we lost Fox), Stevie May.

Maybe a couple of older players from SPL clubs and I could even see a possibility of signing some Rangers players if they went back into administration or liquidation.

We have Shuggie as well probably won't feature much but he's definitely got the experience to benefit the younger guys like Bannigan.

Don't forget former Dunfermline players won't want to remain at 1st Division for long like Cardle.

I'd take the Hamilton left back, Harkins, Cuthbert (assuming we lost Fox), Stevie May.

Maybe a couple of older players from SPL clubs and I could even see a possibility of signing some Rangers players if they went back into administration or liquidation.

We have Shuggie as well probably won't feature much but he's definitely got the experience to benefit the younger guys like Bannigan.

Don't forget former Dunfermline players won't want to remain at 1st Division for long like Cardle.

Why would we lose Fox when he's just signed a new deal?

And we can do far better than rubbish like Joe Cardle.

I think actually that it was Darren Jackson that was doing the forward coaching.

I dont know how efficient Steven Craig would be in the SPL now but someoneposted that he is being given a new contract because of his aprt in getting us there then maybe he could double as forward coaching. Then again that was a just rumour about Craig given a new deal so maybe not

Craig shouldn't be offered a new deal. Thank you very much but goodbye.

Was watching Grasping the Thistle last night, Lambie was talking about there cannot be any loyalty to players who will not be good enough in the SPL. They are paid to do a job, if that job gets us promoted they should be thanked but it shouldn't mean they get a new deal just because of the role they played in getting us promoted.

I have to agree with Lambie. Is Craig good enough for the SPL? It's hard to say but probably not, he's been rotten the past month or so & doesn't look interested but his contribution when he 1st came in cannot be forgotten, we wouldn't be where we are now without his goals.

Big Stephen a Thistle fan ????? My arse, he` s a Celtic man born and bred.His sister Alison teaches in my sons school. Fact .

Correct! As I said previously he is no thistle fan, grew up in Hamilton, went to holy cross and is a Celtic fan.

Incidentally he has donated some quality gear to my amateur team in Hamilton. He is a top lad. No thistle fan though...

Completely irrelevant though as there is not a hope in hell of him signing for us. More chance of rejoining the Celtic I'd say

I dont know how efficient Steven Craig would be in the SPL now but someoneposted that he is being given a new contract because of his aprt in getting us there then maybe he could double as forward coaching. Then again that was a just rumour about Craig given a new deal so maybe not

Much as I appreciate what Craig has contributed, I hope that's not true. I believe he's not quick enough for the SPL: remember he was surplus to RC's requirements this year. If we bring in a forward coach it has to be someone who was a pretty good all round forward in his time. (What's Owen Coyle doing these days?)

Also the only players I want us taking a risk with are young guys we might improve. I'd be happy to have McGuigan stay - he's got the build for the SPL, is quick and fairly skilful and used to our system. If he didn't pan out, I doubt we'd be paying him tremendous wages and it wouldn't be a big loss. Worth the risk I think.

Much as I appreciate what Craig has contributed, I hope that's not true. I believe he's not quick enough for the SPL: remember he was surplus to RC's requirements this year. If we bring in a forward coach it has to be someone who was a pretty good all round forward in his time. (What's Owen Coyle doing these days?)

Also the only players I want us taking a risk with are young guys we might improve. I'd be happy to have McGuigan stay - he's got the build for the SPL, is quick and fairly skilful and used to our system. If he didn't pan out, I doubt we'd be paying him tremendous wages and it wouldn't be a big loss. Worth the risk I think.

Agreed.

The other thing to remember about McGuigan is that he has his sports science degree and, under McNamara anyway, was involved in that side of things in addition to playing. I would be happy enough to keep him for another year, loan him out to a First Division team for the first half of the season and have him continuing to put his degree to good use, helping out with dietary plans, analysis, etc.