League Cup Draw

And that League Cup was win gave us a sojourn into the UEFA Cup. That doesn't happen nowadays, so worthless.

It was special because of what Thistle did that day, the way they did it and who it was against, and the sheer mountaineous odds against us. Remember that Celtic side reached the European Cup Final that season as well.

I would take a Scottish Cup win, but if the choice was that or top division survival, then there is no doubt of which one I would choose.

• Like 1

The Challenge Cup Final was a fantastic experience albeit a poor game and even poorer result. We don't get much glory so we should take it when we can. I was abroad when we played Rangers in the Scottish Cup Semi and again that looked great. Was working in London when we drew with Rangers in Scottish cup at Ibrox. Again. Amazing scenes when we scored. I think the Juniors have a great idea where their league is relatively small in number of games but they have 4 or 5 cup competitions.

Imagine winning the League Cup! Over The Moon.

anyone who doesn't want their team to win every cup they enter needs a word with themselves.

That's true. It would tho' be nice if Jags fans would actually turn up at the early round games instead of just banging on about the importance of whichever cup we're involved in. It's the abysmal attendances as much as anything else that put a negative spin on cup competitions.

• Like 1

That's true. It would tho' be nice if Jags fans would actually turn up at the early round games instead of just banging on about the importance of whichever cup we're involved in. It's the abysmal attendances as much as anything else that put a negative spin on cup competitions.

I think the press need to shoulder the blame. For too long they repeated verbatim the old firm stance that it wasn't important.

The press need to take redponsibility for a lot of the negative aspects of our game.

If the press talked it up, gave it column inches. The devalued perception they created, would quickly change.

I think the press need to shoulder the blame. For too long they repeated verbatim the old firm stance that it wasn't important.

The press need to take responsibility for a lot of the negative aspects of our game.

If the press talked it up, gave it column inches. The devalued perception they created, would quickly change.

Again true but I was also taking a gentle swipe at quite a large chunk of our own support. It was great to see the crowd we could generate for the Ramsden Final. However I was getting a tad tired being constantly told how important the game was by some of our supporters, many of whom I suspect never attended any of the four matches leading up to the final.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The press need to take redponsibility for a lot of the negative aspects of our game.

Totally agree, and sponsors might actually want their company name to be associated with it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Draw for the Second Round of the Scottish League Cup takes place at Hampden Park Stadium today, 2.30pm.

Byes

Celtic

Motherwell

St Johnstone

Hibernian

Inverness CT (farce)

Seeded

Ross County

Dundee United

Aberdeen

Kilmarnock

Heart of Midlothian

St Mirren

Dundee

Partick Thistle

Greenock Morton

Falkirk

Livingston

Unseeded

Hamilton Academical

Raith Rovers

Dumbarton

Cowdenbeath

Dunfermline Athletic

Airdrie United

Queen of the South

Alloa Athletic

Forfar Athletic

Stranraer

Montrose

Or Forfar away, show 'em how it's done? :P

August 24th Motherwell Away SPFL

LC Round 2: Tuesday 27/Wednesday 28 August

August 31st St Mirren Away SPFL

No doubt this squad rotation business will continue... rhythm was clearly lost with six changes last night...

Against DC's team....... No thanks that is a potential banana skin i would want to avoid, as he will have something to prove against us

Why is Inverness CT getting a bye a farce? They finished 4th in the league last year and I assume all the bye's are based on league placement and european qualification. If anyone, I'd question Hibs who lost a cup final being there instead of St Mirren who won one.

Anyone at home please.

Why is Inverness CT getting a bye a farce? They finished 4th in the league last year and I assume all the bye's are based on league placement and european qualification. If anyone, I'd question Hibs who lost a cup final being there instead of St Mirren who won one.

Grrr... don't get me going on my pet peeve... any tourney that bounces you straight into the last 16 is a farce in my book... just 4 single games to win a Cup? It's been chopped away for years 'til it's got to this stage. Used to be 6 mini League games just to get the 2nd Round! Then it was home and way into single games. Now just 4 single games. Pah.

I could just about keep my gas at a peep for the "European" angle, but chucking Inverness in is just lazy piffle paffle namby pamby pants - an accident of historical format overspill.

The present format was designed for 5 Scottish clubs in Europe. We've now only got 4. The format's not fit for purpose.

Cockwomble's inept brigade carry on oblivious...

Farce.