League Cup Draw

Can't believe they bring teams into the last 16 and then give them advantage by seeding them. In my view if any of these clubs win the cup they won't really have earned it.

The fact that these teams are even given byes in the first place is a joke. I don't see why we need this competition any more to be honest. No european place, teams getting slotted straight in to the 3rd round - all a bit pointless really.

We probably lost money on that game last night.

• Like 1

Cup competitions are only good when they are important, for whatever reason the League Cup doesn't seem to be important anymore. You can kind of understand why it happened in England given they have so many teams in Europe, such big squads and there is so much more money to be made from finishing a couple of places higher in the Premiership compared to winning it.

Don't know what can be done in Scotland to stop the decline. But it is clearly dying, the fans can't be bothered, the players can't be bothered, the media can't be bothered.

With all the stewards and police around no doubt we did. Troublesome baby shed for you. Imagine having a sing song, waving a flag and slagging the opposition fans! Disgraceful behavior.

Did the stewards actually approach anyone, or were they going through training exercises?

I have said this before, but to regenerate interest in the LC across the board, I'd advocate something very similar to the old format: the competition to be a season opener, with 8 groups comprising teams from across the divisions, playing each other once (to include Saturday & midweek fixtures). The 8 group winners to go into a home & away knockout based Quarter Finals which, including the Semi Finals, would take place through September & October, with the final taking place around the fourth Saturday in October. . . . At Hampden.

The 'meaningless' group games could be useful for teams to prepare for a September League kick-off, thereby eliminating the need for a barrow-load of rubbish friendlies.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

I have said this before, but to regenerate interest in the LC across the board, I'd advocate something very similar to the old format: the competition to be a season opener, with 8 groups comprising teams from across the divisions, playing each other once (to include Saturday & midweek fixtures). The 8 group winners to go into a home & away knockout based Quarter Finals which, including the Semi Finals, would take place through September & October, with the final taking place around the fourth Saturday in October. . . . At Hampden.

The 'meaningless' group games could be useful for teams to prepare for a September League kick-off, thereby eliminating the need for a barrow-load of rubbish friendlies.

This is very similar to what they do in Portugal for the League Cup. They've just completed the group stage of it. I have no idea how it is perceived in Portugal, but aye.

Did the stewards actually approach anyone, or were they going through training exercises?

They had them surrounded by stewards and the plice were watching from a distance.

As someone said I believe a little boy was chucked.

**** knows what they done but it's a bit of joke and I hardly see them being so keen to eject Celtic fans when they bring their flares and break seats.

Cup competitions are only good when they are important, for whatever reason the League Cup doesn't seem to be important anymore. You can kind of understand why it happened in England given they have so many teams in Europe, such big squads and there is so much more money to be made from finishing a couple of places higher in the Premiership compared to winning it.

Don't know what can be done in Scotland to stop the decline. But it is clearly dying, the fans can't be bothered, the players can't be bothered, the media can't be bothered.

Don't entirely agree with this.

Not many at Firhill last night but the game was sandwiched between 2 away games. Perhaps many don't have enough time or money for three games in 8 days. Don't know what crowds were at the other ties. Lots of people here hoping that we go on a good run and I certainly would be very happy if we won it.

The Cowdenbeath players were up for it as were many other teams last night. Perhaps at the moment we have more important games on our minds but I'm sure the players interest will increase as we progress.

I listened to BBC Radio Scotland last night and I think the coverage was excellent. It was an exciting and entertaining evening of football and I think they did a really good job of capturing the action.

I don't really understand why the 'bigger' teams are seeded. Surely they have a big advantage anyway, playing part time lower league teams. The format should be changed. I suggest having a rule that a certain number of players should be under 20, maybe 6 on the park at any one time. Make it a tournament to showcase young talent.

The fact that these teams are even given byes in the first place is a joke. I don't see why we need this competition any more to be honest. No european place, teams getting slotted straight in to the 3rd round - all a bit pointless really.

We probably lost money on that game last night.

I agree with this. In fact even the Scottish Cup seems to be losing its appeal to "big clubs", or at least their fans. No longer do they turn out in large numbers

But how will we be able to cater for Celtic's super huge friendlies with Liverpool in Dublin after the season has started? As much as I would support an idea like this, that probably would be the reason why it wouldn't get off the ground.

I see Dundee United are taking no chances, going full strength tonight vs. Dumbarton. Hugh Murray also starts and their fans seemed to love him on Saturday - although BBC had it down as Ian Murray playing. Having Erskine and Gardyne on the bench is pretty good options should they need to step it up.

Gary Mackay-Steven isn't in the team and reports suggest he could be off to Blackburn or Leeds before the end of the window.

I see Dundee United are taking no chances, going full strength tonight vs. Dumbarton. Hugh Murray also starts and their fans seemed to love him on Saturday - although BBC had it down as Ian Murray playing. Having Erskine and Gardyne on the bench is pretty good options should they need to step it up.

Gary Mackay-Steven isn't in the team and reports suggest he could be off to Blackburn or Leeds before the end of the window.

You mean Erskene? As per bbc website

3-2 United, which means I think we're guaranteed an SPL team in the next round. I wouldn't be too opposed to playing Celtic at Firhill. With them now qualified for the Champions League, a midweek League Cup game would have to be relatively low down in their list of priorities, not to mention they're pretty shite in the first place. As far as knocking them out goes, it would be easier to do it in the 3rd round than further down the line. Anything at home I'd be reasonably happy with though.

Edited by Noel Edmonds

Don't entirely agree with this.

Not many at Firhill last night but the game was sandwiched between 2 away games. Perhaps many don't have enough time or money for three games in 8 days. Don't know what crowds were at the other ties. Lots of people here hoping that we go on a good run and I certainly would be very happy if we won it.

The Cowdenbeath players were up for it as were many other teams last night. Perhaps at the moment we have more important games on our minds but I'm sure the players interest will increase as we progress.

I listened to BBC Radio Scotland last night and I think the coverage was excellent. It was an exciting and entertaining evening of football and I think they did a really good job of capturing the action.

I don't really understand why the 'bigger' teams are seeded. Surely they have a big advantage anyway, playing part time lower league teams. The format should be changed. I suggest having a rule that a certain number of players should be under 20, maybe 6 on the park at any one time. Make it a tournament to showcase young talent.

Our players have underperformed against most (if not all) lower league opposition for the last couple of seasons, even in ties we've won.

The fans don't turn up in numbers anymore, fair enough we have 2 away games, its the end of the month, etc but it was £12 to get in.

I've got a lot of time for the cups and still always turn out from the offset but the fact that so few are interested (even fans of smaller clubs) until the later rounds surely shows something ain't right.