Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Semantics.

Semantics, actually studying words to interpret their meaning, is exactly what I was doing. You were doing the opposite, selectively ignoring parts of the original posters sentence in order to make an unrelated point about how much you dislike Lambie. You are wilfully misunderstanding the point of the original opinion.

And your further points are just proving that you are slabbering.

What about 3 seasons in the top league in the 90's? Did you forget about them?

No - but we were hardly making great progress under him were we?

And he shafted us big style by 1) going to Falkirk and 2) the players he conveniently got rid of before went to Falkirk.

Murdo McCleod was a crap manager for sure, but dig a bit deeper folks. He got handed a pile of dross by Lambie.

lambie 3 promotions

2 titles

1 tennants sixes

scottish cup semi

and some quarter finals in league cup

we also had international players in our team

stevie pittmann and nicky walker

not forgetting craigan aswell

Edited by Jagsman

lambie 3 promotions

2 titles

1 tennants sixes

scottish cup semi

and some quarter finals in league cup

we also had international players in our team

stevie pittmann and nicky walker

not forgetting craigan aswell

And never above 8th in the top division.

Compare and contrast with Bertie Auld and Davie McParland.

In his last season (2002- 2003??) he chucked it at New Year as I recall, and left it to Gerry Collins to run the season out.

I might be wrong but did he not win the Manager of the Year in his first season back in the SPL for keeping us up!!!!

In my first 25 years of watching Thistle, from 1986 to 2011, Lambie was the manager for roughly half of the seasons. I can honestly say that Lambie's worst season was probably better than the best season without him.

That may be true, factually.

I've been watching Thistle since 1966 (sorry), and Lambie is nowhere near as good as some people on here would have him.

But that is just my opinion.

Lambie certainly did a good job in terms of getting us to punch above our weight but his seeming over-reliance on seasoned professionals ("old pals") as well as a total lack of any semblance of a youth policy perhaps count against him. in my opinion.

McParland way ahead of Auld who in turn is well ahead of Lambie - but others will have their opinions which are to be respected.

The idea that Hardie is nothing but a big hard guy is wrong IMO. He would never have got the number of goals he got if there wasn't more to his game - a lot of them were about timing his runs into the box just right.

Also I remember when he first came to us and fans were still arguing about whether he'd be any good to us, I remember opining that he showed great awareness on the field knowing when to move forward and when to hold and cover for other players. There's always been more to his game than a lot of fans notice.

I was going to say much of this, but I'll just second it. Theres a whole lot more to Martin Hardie than being big and physical....... No idea how he would be as a coach though.

With McMillan and O'Donnell still unsigned, we could do worse than look at Paul McGinn who's just left St. Mirren. 22, was out on loan at Dumbarton and did very well, by all accounts. Turned down a deal at the Buddies in search of regular football which shows a) he's focused on playing football; the type of young, hungry player we identified in Lawless, Balatoni etc. and b ) St. Mirren thought highly enough of him to offer him a deal. As with many of the posts in this thread - just throwing a name out there.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

I wish people would stop this canonisation of John Lambie.

He was a manager who used the Jags when it suited him (left us for Hamilton and Falkirk), and the facts prove that he was completely out of his depth in the top Scottish division.

To mention him in the same sentence as Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson does not stand up to scrutiny.

The reasons for the near canonisation of John Lambie are simple : Benny Rooney , Derek Johnstone, Billy Lamentable, Sandy Clark, Murdo MacLeod, John McVeigh, Gerry Collins, the Gerry and Derek show, Tommy Bryce and Dick Dick Campbell i.e Partick Thistle the Wilderness Years! (Incidentally does anybody else find it strange that on a Thistle website the word Partick comes up a a mis-spelling?)

Just my own personal view but I thought Lambie got more out of technically poorer quality footballers than Auld or McParland.

I know Lambie operated for a while pre Bosman but imo that ruling makes it difficult to compare managers before and after. To a lesser extent the introduction of the transfer windows make for a slightly different man-management style.

Strange to think that 40 years ago when Auld was succeeding McParland players were routinely sold for £100K. Using the average wage indicator that's the equivalent of over £1.5 million today. If a Jags manager managed to sell just one player for that sort of dosh these days he'd be thought of as a god.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I presume this has been covered previously but Brian Graham has gone to the Arabs to replace Daly who has sold his soul to Sevco.

Not that bothered to be honet, he is a decent enough player but seem like a bit of a ****** and from what I've seen of him wouldn't suit our style of football. Would probably encourage aimless hoofball if he was up there.

I presume this has been covered previously but Brian Graham has gone to the Arabs to replace Daly who has sold his soul to Sevco.

Not that bothered to be honet, he is a decent enough player but seem like a bit of a ****** and from what I've seen of him wouldn't suit our style of football. Would probably encourage aimless hoofball if he was up there.

I was hoping we would sign Graham but I changed my mind when he was really poor in the last 2 games against us.

The 2nd game at Firhill especially. He had no ball control and looked really slow.

He was a completely different player to the one in the 3-2 game.

Also a few Raith fans don't seem to be that bothered with him leaving and see Spence as the better of the 2.

John Lambie saved us from relegation to the Third Division. If we had gone down, the club would have been on its knees again. He then took from the Second Division to the Premier Division and kept us up. The turnover of players was amazing but Lambie found enough quality to get the job done each season. I can't think of anyone who could have done a similar job in such difficult circumstances. Add his colourful personality and its not surprising that he's a legend.

Cairney appears to have completely dropped out of things at Hibs. The fact that he was at the Jaks night doesnt mean anything but I would take him back at Firhill anytime!

I noticed that he didn't figure in their weekend squad again, and wondered if he was injured. Is he still under contract? I'd also take him back in a flash.

• Like 1