Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Gateshead played him in 2 games and chose not to sign him.

So basically we are taking Gateshead's rejects?

I somehow feel dirty.

Gateshead had Paddy Boyle on loan from the Pars last season. There are lots of players looking for clubs. We should be looking to improve the squad, not take a risk on an unknown player from the fourth tier of French football..

Gateshead had Paddy Boyle on loan from the Pars last season. There are lots of players looking for clubs. We should be looking to improve the squad, not take a risk on an unknown player from the fourth tier of French football..

I'd imagine the boy's on trial.

This time last year there would've been folk this time last year saying we're starting the season with a boy from the 3rd Division, a Hearts reject who made an @rse of it at Culter & Archibald, who's past it!

Look what happened...

If he's good enough, fits in to way Archie building a team & agrees a wage we'll sign him if not we'll look else where.

Chill out guys.

Erskine came from the juniors. I'd imagine 4th tier of French football a higher level.

^ Doolan and Erskine were with us for a couple seasons before they reached their potential.

I certainly did not question the signings of Muirhead and Balatoni last summer. Cairney, Paton and Sinclair had already proved the value of picking up youngsters from the lower divisions. The difference is that we would have been able to scout them thoroughly before signing them. Btw, I was disappointed that Aberdeen, rather than us, signed Shankland from the Spiders.

And I did not say that Archie was past it. I hope that he stays fit in case we need him due to injuries or suspensions.

Congolese international player. Totally inspiring.

Wonder what the Celtic fans said when they signed a Kenyan internationalist?

^ Doolan and Erskine were with us for a couple seasons before they reached their potential.

I certainly did not question the signings of Muirhead and Balatoni last summer. Cairney, Paton and Sinclair had already proved the value of picking up youngsters from the lower divisions. The difference is that we would have been able to scout them thoroughly before signing them. Btw, I was disappointed that Aberdeen, rather than us, signed Shankland from the Spiders.

And I did not say that Archie was past it. I hope that he stays fit in case we need him due to injuries or suspensions.

Didn't say it was you. But I'm willing to bet it was said on here.

I agree re Shankland but money talks & think there were a few in for him. He's taken the money & fair play to him.

As for Doolan & Erskine, maybe but who's to say the boy wouldn't kick on with us?

We haven't signed him yet. Wait & see what happens.

Trust the management team.

• Like 1

Have said this before, but I genuinely don't think we have the budget to bring in REAL quality players. We will have to cut our cloth and go with what we have. I reckon that's why Archie is looking at every option and taking time.

It is gonna be tough to survive, but I think we can. We just need to hang in there!

We're on the look out for a centreback. Archie & Shaggy both centrebacks themselves reckoned Dowie wouldn't cut it or perhaps thought he's at an age where he has to play regularly. Knowing that it's just possible we're planning to go with last seasons back four as our optimum defence. That kinda indicates that whoever we get as a back up centreback ain't likely to exactly be a stellar signing. Just someone deemed a bit better, and perhaps more mobile, than Andy Dowie. In fact we may already have our back up centreback in McMillan and are only looking for a secondary back up.

Whatever, I'm not too sure why whoever we sign has to be a well known name. Looking at it the other way I'm not too sure why some well known name would be signing for us if he didn't believe he'd be a first choice.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Would that not be someone like Andy Dowie?

As you said, the management team must have good reasons for not offering Dowie a deal.

It's a pity that we can't compete, even with Well, for players like Stephen McManus.

Edited by kni

As you said, the management team must have good reasons for not offering Dowie a deal.

It's a pity that we can't compete, even with Well, for players like Stephen McManus.

But that's just the way it is, and has always been since the late 1960s when for the first time in nearly 60 years we were relegated from the top division.I believe we've not been a serious player in the transfer market since then. Despite this under Dave McParland, Bertie Auld and Lambie, we were able to put together squads which were more than able to hold their own at the top level. As I recall we achieved a place in the 'TopSix' more than once. The 1971 Cup winning team cost I believe £250 to put together ! I have a feeling the current squad is capable of surprising the pundits - although the loss of Erskine is a major blow. But Lawless has yet to reach his peak, so who knows? Uncertainty is one of the things which make being a Jags fan so enjoyable.

I see that Rangers were set to offer him a contract in January 2012 following a trial, but that was during their financial difficulties and that put the move off. He has been playing at Wellington Phoenix in the Australian A League and has been getting coached by Jonathan Gould.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Wellington-Phoenix-goalkeeper-Scott-Basalaj-secures-trial-with-Scottish-Premier-League-club/tabid/415/articleID/305438/Default.aspx

But that's just the way it is, and has always been since the late 1960s when for the first time in nearly 60 years we were relegated from the top division.I believe we've not been a serious player in the transfer market since then. Despite this under Dave McParland, Bertie Auld and Lambie, we were able to put together squads which were more than able to hold their own at the top level. As I recall we achieved a place in the 'TopSix' more than once. The 1971 Cup winning team cost I believe £250 to put together ! I have a feeling the current squad is capable of surprising the pundits - although the loss of Erskine is a major blow. But Lawless has yet to reach his peak, so who knows? Uncertainty is one of the things which make being a Jags fan so enjoyable.

We paid good money for the likes of Jim Slavin (*cough*), Andy Murdoch and Alex O'Hara.

Also, from that PFA Free Transfer List, Simon Church would definitely be worth a punt, however, probably outwith our means.

Sadly, yes. Church should have options with clubs in the Championship or League One. A few players on that list have signed deals within the last week or so.