Just In V Ael Limassol

Camallain

Despite the score line this was an enjoyable game. Lots of good passing from both teams and some meaty challenges going in (mostly it has to be said by Limassol players). The Thistle defence is looking solid but Scott Fox’s insistence in taking short by kicks did put us under unnecessary pressure on a couple of occasions. After a fairly even first half Thistle gradually took control of the game in the second period but only occasionally troubled the Limassol keeper.

I was impressed with Gary Fraser and Christie Elliot when he came on and the trialist acquitted himself reasonably well. My main concern is where the goals are going to be coming from this season as once again we struggled to put the opposition defence under any sustained pressure. Having said that we should have won the game with the last kick of the ball as big Henoc was left one on one with the keeper but his lob went over the bar.

Ref William Collum was yet again abysmal

A bit of a damp squib. As the cliche goes, both teams could have played for another two hours and still not scored.

Positives

• Gary Fraser can certainly play. He didn't put a foot wrong and showed great vision and decision making.
  • Both Sincy and SOD look like they're back in form. SOD in particular went through a rough patch towards the end of last season, so it was good to see him back to his marauding best.
  • Christie Elliot looked sharp when he came on, although I'm still not convinced he's a left-winger. Craigen also looked decent.
  • When Conrad and Aero were reunited they looked as formidable as ever.

Negatives

• Both Bannigan and Welsh were, understandably, off the pace. This gives us a selection problem for next week.
  • As mentioned, we never looked like scoring. This wasn't solely down to the Erskine-shaped hole in the team, but that certainly isn't helping. We really need someone who can play on the left, as having Bannigan cover there isn't be a long-term solution.
  • Baird doesn't look like an improvement on Craig. In fact, I'd have stuck with the latter.
  • The no. 18 trialist (Mexican centre half?) had some good moments but also looked like a red card waiting to happen.
  • Forbes was anonymous, as is often the case. He's not an attacking midfielder in my books.

Interesting game although lacking a bit in goalmouth incident.

We had an interesting shape late in the 2nd half when we appeared to be playing without a central striker (a bit like Spain / Barcelona sometimes do)

Liked the look of big Gabriel Rojo de la Vega Piccolo. Certainly looked like he had a bit of physical presence which will be well needed in the SPL.

Really need to replace Erskine as either Forbes or Lawless are not suited to the role.

Mention must be made to the JHS side linesman who hasn't got a clue when the ball crosses the line or not.

Would say we edged it, but we look worryingly inept up front. We need someone quite physical who can bully defenders, much like Craig was.

Besides that we were OK. Fraser looks good, Gabriel looked solid if a bit rash and Forbes drifted in and out of the game. Not bad but not great.

I wasn't sure if the trialist was better than Dowie. The starting midfield of Welsh,Fraser,Bannigan and Forbes didn't create anything and Lawless wasn't involved enough, maybe too many sleepless nights. It is a difficult choice for Archie next week. The decisions as I see it are SOD or MacMillan. What midfield ? For me it would be Welsh,Fraser Bannigan and Elliot( we need somebody to run atthe defence. I might even start Craigen instead of Lawless.

Kerr got caught on th ball too often, although Murray was fine. Mukendi didn't get enough time, Baird and no 33( McDaid ?) didn't impress.

Today was the first friendly I've attended during pre-season and I've got to say that I'm a little concerned.

Firstly, you get out what you put in with respect to friendlies. If you treat them with little regard and use them purely to get players fit, you often find that the team isn't sharp or coherent by the start of the season. Making ten substitutions, even though you are perfectly entitled to, is farcical to me and completely spoils a game, both as a spectacle and as a worthwhile exercise. We all saw the benefit of a really good pre-season last year where the majority of our first eleven played together as regularly as possible.

The main thought I had leaving the ground was that we look like a team at the start of pre-season rather than just ending it. There was no tempo to our play, little urgency and any rhythm that we managed to build was eroded by the substitutions. The lack of sharpness and toothless attacking presence that was on show is a major concern ahead of Friday night.

Individually, I thought Fraser looked like a very good prospect. One concern is that I don't think he and Bannigan can play in the same team as both take up very similar positions. Bannigan seemed to be playing in the Erskine role which doesn't suit his game at all. He and Welsh need another couple of games under their belt before they should be considered for selection. Sinclair had a pretty good game but "Taylor-Sinclair"...really? I like Baird; he's industrious and a nuisance - players like that have always done reasonably well for us in my experience. Mukendi didn't really have much time to impress but was unlucky not to steal the win with the last kick of the ball.

Pitch looked in great condition but I'm not sure whether it was a little dry because a number of players seemed to get the ball caught under their feet, particularly Kerr when he came on.

I can't say I was at all convinced by the centre half and certainly nowhere near enough to sign him to a two-year contract; I can only presume he has suitably impressed Archie in training and in the closed door match. I trust that two of the best defenders that I've seen in my time are better judges of talent than I. On the plus side, he is a good height, fairly physical (too physical on many occasions) and quite young so he has time to develop.

Hope we've got a good game-plan for United because they'll be up for it. Despite everything I've outlined in this post, I've got a strange serenity that the team will perform when it counts.

Biggest worry for me was definitely attack - Baird looked very poor. Shame our new Liveroool loanee couldn't score a wee chip at the end to win it, too.

Defence fairly solid though. Agree that the 1st choice 1st team is yeat to emerge.

\looking at some of the posts have we decided on a new scapegoat already. Baird didnt do any worse than anyone else.

As for the comparisons with Craig yes he was good last season, but Baird was a player rated enough to win first divison player of the year not so long ago.

The comparison would have to be between Baird and Craig in the current SPL - which is probably impossible to judge given that Craig is not currently in the SPL

Funny how there can be so many divergent views of the same players! I thought the new centre back - Gabriel - looked really good. He was strong, mobile and could play a bit. As for the fouls he gave away, I got the distinct impression he was just lettig the Cypriots know we weren't goind to stand back and let them away with some of the stuff they were up to. I think he'll be a good back up to Muirhead and Balatoni. In fact, I can see him replacing Balatoni as first choice.

As many others have commented, where we seem weak is up front. There's no sense of a cutting edge there. Lawless, in my opinion, will struggle in the Premiership - he's going to be pushed off the ball a lot by big, strong defenders. Still, I'm sure Archie's on the case - only problem being, who's this cutting edge forward going to be?

looking at some of the posts have we decided on a new scapegoat already. Baird didnt do any worse than anyone else.

As for the comparisons with Craig yes he was good last season, but Baird was a player rated enough to win first divison player of the year not so long ago.

The comparison would have to be between Baird and Craig in the current SPL - which is probably impossible to judge given that Craig is not currently in the SPL

Baird hasn't impressed in the five friendlies I've seen him play in. Not that concerned as he's a good worker and will make a good enough sub. Besides some squad members flatter to deceive pre season while others who look lethargic go on to be key players. .

Imo i think lawless could be a big player for us again this year. people will say he's untried at that level but he was a pro youth at motherwell for ten years and was in around the first team from 17 playing and training with spl class players so he probably knows a wee bit about what to expect from that level, he was also at a team that by all acounts was hard to get into as motherwell have been a top six side over the last few years.

I have a few well fan's in my work who said they were sad to see him go.he played and scored in the scottish cup for motherwell not long before leaving, had been named on the bench in the spl a number of times and had two succesfull loan periods, one that resulted in promotion from division 3 with albion rovers, so he has been kicked about a bit.

I think we do need a big striker who has a bit of experience for him to play off,he is a hard worker, has ability, has great movement, can see a pass and can chip in with a goal or two, he finished runner up on goals last year by 1 and finished with most assists i honestly think some other spl teams would be happy to have him in there team and think in the spl he will get free kick's if player's try to bully him.

I m going to be positive and say i think if we get a striker in we will be able to live with team's like st mirren, killie, hibs and hearts and both motherwell and aberdeen have alot of new players to bed in so may take time to find there feet.

Hopefully we can keep mark kerr fit who is a very good player on his day, forbes, welsh, balatoni, murray and baird who have been in the spl and droped down step up to the plate,the young play without fear and the guy's who are getting there first shot at the spl grab the chance and everybody gives a good account of themselve's.

Anyway this has ended up a bit more epic than i was expecting prob's the drink, bring on friday and moan the jag's.

• Like 1

Decent performance. Not too worried about lack of chances. They were a very solid unit and don't imagine any team other than the green brigade will be any where near as strong this season.

Before hand I was worried about getting a Malmo...

I certainly wasn't, although worried that we might not be giving Limassol the respect they deserve - when we're up against an outfit which has experience of the Champions League qualifiers and the Europa League. I'd be delighted were we to claim to have beaten Marseille in European competition. So feeling encouraged by what I saw. But who on earth designed the baggy ,voluminous shorts ? A small man like Baird almost disappears inside them !

I liked the look of their no. 20, he was all over the place, he was over on the left wing attacking then mopping up at RB. he was their best player by a mile. like a better version of the boy Bachirou at Morton.

I too thought the number 20 was very good. I was also impressed with their number 94 who reminded me of Prince Buaben.