Team To Start The Season

p12tfc

I think we should start with the striaghtforward squad team. With Bannigan playing on the left and Lawless on the right with Forbes and Craigen in the middle. Welsh being the holding midfielder. So the team would be;

1 Fox

2 O'Donnell

3 Taylor (?) -Sinclair

4 Welsh

5 Muirhead

6 Balatoni

7 Craigen

8 Bannigan

9 Doolan

10 Forbes

11 Lawless

I know it is a salute to last season and the team that won it but what's wrong with that even if it is just for this game, they deserve to start.

We are due to kick off Friday and haven't tried a 5 3 2

I would have thought last Saturday would have been the game to play a new formation and starting line up

Dundee united will know their starting line up and formation

We played three at the back last game of the season so I think it's fair to say they would have practiced it before that.

My own view is that if we're wanting to play more defensively we'll play two holding midfielders rather than three centrebacks. Also Archie appeared to put a bit of check on O'Donnell & Sinclair making them play more often like full backs than wingbacks. I don't think we really need to change personnel that much to play a more defensive game. The one exception may be to utilise McMillan..

Don’t think Archie will start with Welsh, Bannigan and Forbes in the same team. With both Welsh and Bannigan sort of match fitness and Forbes inability to see out a game we could see us playing with 3 players struggling in the last section of the game.

We are short of height and strength in attack and this is something I expect Archie to act upon before the window shuts.

………………………Fox

O'Donnell… Muirhead… Balatoni… Sinclair

… Craigen……… Kerr……….. Forbes

…..Lawless………………… Bannigan

……………………..Doolan

Subs:

Gallacher

Gabriel

Mcmillan

Fraser

Welsh

Baird

Elliott

Edited by Alan Murray

………………………Fox

…............Murray………..Kerr………..

…..............……Bannigan…...

……Lawless…….................Forbes......

........................Doolan............................

I want Murray in there to noise up Paton. He's a hot head and we can put him off his stride. (Always appreciate and respect his efforts at Thistle - this is not personal). Reports are Welsh is not fully fit so that is why he is not there. Forbes on the left is a bit cautious but we have not replaced Erskine with a like for like so Forbes is in. Elliot to come on as a sub - I have hopes for him. Fraser sounds a player but not see him yet. I'm reasonably confident.

Don’t think Archie will start with Welsh, Bannigan and Forbes in the same team. With both Welsh and Bannigan sort of match fitness and Forbes inability to see out a game we could see us playing with 3 players struggling in the last section of the game.

We are short of height and strength in attack and this is something I expect Archie to act upon before the window shuts.

………………………Fox

… Craigen……… Kerr……….. Forbes

…..Lawless………………… Bannigan

……………………..Doolan

Subs:

Gallacher

Gabriel

Mcmillan

Fraser

Welsh

Baird

Elliott

We have Mukendi who is a big lad. I have only seen him for the few minutes of Saturdays game, so not too sure if he fits the bill as a strong forward. I am also a wee bit worried about Kerr. He seemed to get caught with the ball quite a lot in the 40 mins or so he was on. Think Murray might be a better option

............................Fox

O'Donnell.....Muirhead.....Balatoni.....Sinclair

...........Craigen.....Murray.....Bannigan

.....Lawless...................................Forbes

.............................Doolan

Subs:

Gallacher

McMillan

Kerr

Fraser

Welsh

Elliott

Baird

Only starting Murray & Kerr as it would be a risk to start with Welsh & Bannigan who have missed a fair chunk of pre-season. It is slightly worrying that our team is poorer than the once that won the 1st Div last season, a replacement for Erskine (although unlikely to be a like for like replacement) is essential. Forbes is not a winger.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

My team would be Fox, O'Donnell, Sinclair, Conrad, Muirhead, Kerr, Fraser, Forbes, Lawless, Craigen, Doolan.

Would be tempted to start with Christie but he may be more useful as an "impact" sub. From Saturday's evidence, Bannigan and Welsh are nowhere near fit enough to start. If they both get 90 minutes against Ayr next Tuesday then I'd be hopeful that they should be ready to go for the big game against Hearts on the 16th. I reckon Fraser is a good alternative to Bannigan for the time being - doesn't have the same energy but possibly has a better range of passing. Need someone to do the graft in the middle of the pitch and that really only leaves us with Kerr; Murray doesn't have the legs to do it although I can understand why some have included him from the start.

Would love to see a 50/50 with Aero and Paton.

Can't f*cking wait.

not been conviced by kerr so far.

in the few preseason friendlies i've seen, kerr lost /gave the ball away quite a lot, and put us under unnecessary pressure.

same with murray when he came on. in fact, i'm sure arbroath goal came from murray near centre circle in own half losing the ball, 10 seconds later we were one down.

yes they are only friendlies, to build up fitness and sharpness, and results don't matter, blah blah blah, socan only hope when real action kicks off, slackness from either has been eradicated.

………………………Fox

…............Murray………..Kerr………..

…..............……Bannigan…...

……Lawless…….................Forbes......

........................Doolan............................

I want Murray in there to noise up Paton. He's a hot head and we can put him off his stride. (Always appreciate and respect his efforts at Thistle - this is not personal). Reports are Welsh is not fully fit so that is why he is not there. Forbes on the left is a bit cautious but we have not replaced Erskine with a like for like so Forbes is in. Elliot to come on as a sub - I have hopes for him. Fraser sounds a player but not see him yet. I'm reasonably confident.

Really don't get why you have hopes for Elliot.Out of all the players at our disposal I feel he is the one weak link.Gives 100% in effort everytime but ultimately more often than not the attack breaks down once it reaches him.Runs about mad to no effect. I will be astounded if he makes any sort of impact this season as I dont even rate him as a good div 1 player.

Really don't get why you have hopes for Elliot.Out of all the players at our disposal I feel he is the one weak link.Gives 100% in effort everytime but ultimately more often than not the attack breaks down once it reaches him.Runs about mad to no effect. I will be astounded if he makes any sort of impact this season as I dont even rate him as a good div 1 player.

I understand where you are coming from, but he has been learning the game the past couple of seasons and although inconsistent he has had a few good games(Morton,Hamilton and pops up with a vital goal vs Airdrie).On Saturday when he came on, he did pretty well, holding the ball and running at their defence, which is something I think we will need this season.

Remember, Erskine was so inconsistent his 1st few seasons and it was really only when McCall left that he started making such a telling impact.

I think there is still some hope for him.

Remember, Erskine was so inconsistent his 1st few seasons and it was really only when McCall left that he started making such a telling impact.

Even well into last season iirc Erskine was described by a forum member as a "luxury" player! Elliott definitely deserves a decent chance to show what he can do.

Got to say i completely agree with the above.

He doesn't have the body movement to be a wide player, when he gets the ball its just a yardage thing.... how far will he get cutting inside, in a straight line before the ball is taken off him.

Surely it would be a lot harder to teach him the wide roll (close control, movement, skill) than it would be to be a central striker, which is more about physical presence, close control and finishing.

We could bring in another player who's more aware, got better close control and most likely a more natural finisher. But if that player doesn't have much in the way of strength and pace we're maybe better with Elliott. That's not much of a defence but Elliott can develop skills whereas you can't teach strength and pace.

Personally I think there'll be times when Elliott comes on and makes a worthwhile impact. He may even warrant the odd start. There'll no doubt be times when he's ineffective but the same could be said about the slower, weaker guy with more craft and awareness.

Elliott should improve. Will he improve sufficiently and quickly enough? I'd be willing to give him the chance.

• Like 2

There'll no doubt be times when he's ineffective but the same could be said about the slower, weaker guy with more craft and awareness.

Everyone will be ineffective at some point. We're up against a better standard this season, I just hope when the likes of Bannigan, Sinclair, Forbes, Welsh, Doolan don't get into a game, that we (as fans) accept it's going to happen and not get on their backs. Some of the abuse I heard last season from a group of OAPs up the back of Sinclair (back in the days he was called Sinclair) was bewildering.

For the Dundee United match, I'd personally go for...

Fox

McMillan...Muirhead...Balatoni...Taylor-Sinclair

Osbourne...Welsh

Lawless...Forbes...Bannigan

Doolan

Gallacher, O'Donnell, Gabriel, Kerr, Craigen/Fraser, Elliott/Mukendi, Baird.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

Everyone will be ineffective at some point. We're up against a better standard this season, I just hope when the likes of Bannigan, Sinclair, Forbes, Welsh, Doolan don't get into a game, that we (as fans) accept it's going to happen and not get on their backs. Some of the abuse I heard last season from a group of OAPs up the back of Sinclair (back in the days he was called Sinclair) was bewildering.

Absolutely zero chance that the usual suspects won't be barracking the players you mention and many other Jags players besides. Last season was very disappointing for them in terms of results at Firhill but even in our wildest dreams we're not going to going to lose only once and draw just twice at home. O'Donnell & Sinclair will get the lion's share of abuse simply as they're in earshot as they run the lines but nobody's safe from that lot.

God help any of the squad if another club shows interest in them. That's when the heid moaners will really go to town.

We've all got our favourite moaners but I particularly appreciate the guy near me that yells "Play it on the ground! Play it on the f***in' ground!" usually at Wee Lawless when he tries to jump up to reach one of Conrad's big headers out of defence.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

We've all got our favourite moaners but I particularly appreciate the guy near me that yells "Play it on the ground! Play it on the f***in' ground!" usually at Wee Lawless when he tries to jump up to reach one of Conrad's big headers out of defence.

There's a guy somewhere behind me who bollocks the players for the complete opposite. Anything more than two passes in midfield and he's shouting 'get it forward' and 'stop pissing around'. He must hate Xavi and Iniesta.